Main Menu

Clean Boost?

Started by RacerX, September 17, 2012, 03:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerX

So this new, possibly temporary band situation I'm working on is a 2-guitar thing. It has literally been decades since I've played in a band with another guitarist. Now that I'm in one, I'm finding it difficult maintaining a thick, heavy rhythm guitar tone while leaving enough room on the guitar volume to crank for solos. I'm between a rock & a hard place: either I end up with an anemic rhythm tone or inadequate volume for solos.

That's why I'm looking for a super-clean boost that I can step on to give me enough extra volume for solo sections while leaving my nasty rhythm tone undisturbed.

Whatcha got, boys?

Livin' The Life.

The Riffer

Boost doesn't always work for this, and is really dependent on how you run your amp. A dirty amp, will likely just get dirtier and sometimes more compressed. Take that into consideration. My answer would be  an eq with a boost feature. Just boost the necessary frequencies to cut through.

One clean boost I can recommend is the Earthquaker BlackEye. Great sound, and tons of volume.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

bitter

I have a Diamond effects marquis (seen in my avatar pic), which is a dual mode treble/clean booster. What the riffer said is true with a dirty amp. The only time I get a volume boost is after another pedal. As such, I tend to run Fuzz 1 > Boost > Fuzz 2 and toggle between treble boost or clean boost depending on the fuzz I'm using. 
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

rayinreverse

an EQ pedal can definitely work wonders. You can boost certain frequencies to cut through. ive never had a clean boost that seemed to boost my volume, because Im already dimed as it is.

RAGER

Yep EQ pedal for sure.  I used and MXR 10 band for this exact thing.
No Focus Pocus

RacerX

Quote from: The Riffer on September 17, 2012, 03:09:14 PM
Boost doesn't always work for this, and is really dependent on how you run your amp. A dirty amp, will likely just get dirtier and sometimes more compressed. Take that into consideration. My answer would be  an eq with a boost feature. Just boost the necessary frequencies to cut through.

One clean boost I can recommend is the Earthquaker BlackEye. Great sound, and tons of volume.

I run my amp totally clean, but I do get a bit of power tube grit out of her. My Meathead is engaged 95% of the time, and that's where most of my dirt comes from.
Livin' The Life.

spookstrickland

I went through this a couple years ago building a boost pedal for a friend.  It's damn near impossible to do if you derive your grit from your amp because once your amp is cranked it will just swallow up the boost unless you really freaking hit it hard and then you have to worry about your tone changing.

One of the simplest ways to go for totally clean boost is to build a passive boost that is just a volume pot that dials down the volume kind of like turning your guitar pot down, this will be for your rhythm tone then when by passed it will be your boosted tone.

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

RacerX

Hm.

I wonder if I should try my Morley Volume pedal—it's got a single pot to set the "low" end of the volume. I'll have to put it after the Meathead in the chain for that to work, though, I'm thinking.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

The EQ is the best option. Bison's guitarist used a 10-band MXR EQ on his cranked amps, and instead of driving it more, it just bumped the mids and treble into "FUCK YEAH" territory. The EQ settings looked kind of like the opposite of the mouth on this smiley  :-\ :-
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

yea EQ boost is probably best. Theres a few ways to achieve it, plenty of designs out their, and units already in production

RacerX

Thanks, dudes.

Since I'm stone cold broke, I'll try my volume pedal first, but if it doesn't do the trick, I'll look into EQ options.
Livin' The Life.

AgentofOblivion

Put your volume pedal as far back in the chain as possible.  In the FX loop would be preferable if you have the right pot value in it.  I believe 25k is typically used for line level (what you need in a loop) and something like 500k for in front of the amp.  Anyway, push it all the way forward for your solo level and then just back it off for your rhythm level.  You could even put something under the back part of the pedal to mark the "rhythm" place so that you can't get it any quieter; a stack of pennies or some shit. 

I would recommend a similar strategy if you had the EQ.  Use the "on" to cut your volume and get a nice tone that way.  Turn the pedal off to run dry and at full volume. 

dunwichamps

if you put the pedal right before your amp you probably dont want it to be too large or u will suck some high end off when you roll the pedal down do to increased Miller Effect. Also not too small or you will load down your last pedal before the volume. Something like 100k is not bad

for reference
http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/gridstopper.html

spookstrickland

Quote from: AgentofOblivion on September 17, 2012, 05:12:59 PM
Put your volume pedal as far back in the chain as possible.  In the FX loop would be preferable if you have the right pot value in it.  I believe 25k is typically used for line level (what you need in a loop) and something like 500k for in front of the amp.  Anyway, push it all the way forward for your solo level and then just back it off for your rhythm level.  You could even put something under the back part of the pedal to mark the "rhythm" place so that you can't get it any quieter; a stack of pennies or some shit. 

I would recommend a similar strategy if you had the EQ.  Use the "on" to cut your volume and get a nice tone that way.  Turn the pedal off to run dry and at full volume. 

This should work out really well for you if you already have the morley, Morley's are really good volume pedals that don't mess with your sound much at all.

That's a great idea with the stack under the heal position, I'm going to do that with my Morely.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

MR. CREEPER

I Love my Blackstar HT Boost. Thing can bring a lot of grit if needed, but is a bad ass, tube driven boost. More tubey tone at hand.

Corey Y

The MXR Micro Amp would fit for what you want. It's a simple one knob clean boost, knob all the way down is unity volume and it boosts from there. No added gain or EQ, very clean. They go for about $70-80 new, you could probably get a used one for $50 or less with a little luck. I've had one for a long time, though I've primarily used it to push the front of a non master volume amp without coloring the tone.

dogfood

Quote from: SunnO))) on September 17, 2012, 04:11:58 PM
The EQ is the best option. Bison's guitarist used a 10-band MXR EQ on his cranked amps, and instead of driving it more, it just bumped the mids and treble into "FUCK YEAH" territory. The EQ settings looked kind of like the opposite of the mouth on this smiley  :-\ :-

My MXR EQ goes to 11.   ;D
Problem solving whiskey!

liquidsmoke

Was using a boost but the tone was too much on top of all the gain I already use.

EQ pedal for the win.

RacerX

I've managed to work things out using the Morley Little Alligator volume pedal in the loop between the pre & power amp.

It also has a minimum volume adjustment pot that works like like an adjustable stack of pennnies.
Livin' The Life.

BrianDamage

For a lead boost I use a boss blues driver with a slight volume boost (for more gain not volume) and I turn the tone knob up until it cuts through.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

Baltar

Fulltone Fat-boost ver. 1 or 3.  These pedals are pure magic.  The ver. 1 is a dead-on rip-off of the George Orman booster. Mike Fuller got sued for it and thus came ver.2.  You can still get ver.1's on ebay for right around $100.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

RacerX

I'm liking the no-cost option I'm using. Didn't even spend a penny, nevermind a stack of 'em.
Livin' The Life.

Jake

I'm pretty sure it's just peeps not reading beyond the thread title before posting their two pennies.
poop.

Volume

If you run your amp clean and you have headroom to spare a clean boost will do it. I've used the MXR Micro Amp, M-Audio Boost n Buff and now I'm using the boost in my Box of Rock.