A guitar lesson worth listening to!

Started by dogfood, August 28, 2012, 01:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogfood

Problem solving whiskey!

bitter

5 minutes in and I can't watch anymore. The only thing he's an expert at is being a Bob Seager/Meatloaf hybrid look-a-like  ::)
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

VOLVO)))

Honestly? LOL.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Literally laughed out loud multiple times. "Ah, it's so bright, ah, warm!, AH FUCK ITS BRIGHT AGAIN!"

This is a lot of shit that I tell people, by the way. If you've ever had one of your guitars with me? It has spit on it. My spit. Probably a lot of it. I like ebony over maple, maple over rosewood. Most of what he's arguing is semantics, but I have been to the MLP (hahaha,) forums and there are really some people there that should never touch guitars...  ::)
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

planet doom

Mr. Foxen

The stripe is black walnut, fairly sure.

Jake

Hey, it's Dan from Deadwood!

But in much less likeable form.
poop.

AgentofOblivion

That was great, particularly his advice at the end.  Something like, "If you practiced as much as you bitched you might be worth a damn."  Nothing makes me face-palm like watching some YouTube review where a dude has $10,000 worth of shit set up in his basement and is talking about these nuanced differences in sound but can't play worth a shit.

RacerX

The dumbest motherfuckers of all are the ones who think they're wise.

Livin' The Life.

The Shocker

I miss Stabbing Dan.

Fun fact.  He was Warren "he was masturbating" Jensen in Something About Mary.

Lumpy

He's irritating, but some of that needs to be said.

In the bass world, you have people saying you need to fret notes with your fingertips (but why, if the fretwire is what makes the string shorten?) They've never seen a barre chord I guess.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

RacerX

When it comes to fretboard materials, I don't think there's much contribution to the overall tonality. Rather, it's a feel thing: maple is slippery; rosewood & ebony provide have a slight grab to 'em, which I personally prefer.
Livin' The Life.

VOLVO)))

I'm pretty sure he was trying to abrasive and rub shit in people's fur with that video. It's really irritating when a bunch of armchair guitarists want to spout absolute bullshit in regards to what makes a difference and what doesn't. People who haven't ever done a setup of their own, and whatnot. I've had people bring me guitars who want to stand over me and try guide me. I tell them to fuck clean off, or take their shit elsewhere.

Yknow?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RacerX on August 28, 2012, 02:33:24 PM
When it comes to fretboard materials, I don't think there's much contribution to the overall tonality. Rather, it's a feel thing: maple is slippery; rosewood & ebony provide have a slight grab to 'em, which I personally prefer.

Bingo, but that's not how people think. "NAW MAN MY DAD WAS A LUTHIER HE DONE TOLD ME IT MAKES A WORLD OF DIFFERENCE!"

No shit? Unfinished maple necks are where it's at for my hands. Thick, unfinished maple necks.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MichaelZodiac

So if a manufacturer like Warmoth when it comes to their necks categorize their several options of fretboard material as more warm or more bright, they're just selling a load of BS?

Not trying to be a dick here btw or an armchair guitarist for that matter, I just have never needed a setup with my T-40 (Although I probably should but it plays well enough as it is right now) and my experience with other guitars besides an old Strat with a rosewood fretboard is very limited.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

RacerX

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on August 28, 2012, 03:44:26 PM
So if a manufacturer like Warmoth when it comes to their necks categorize their several options of fretboard material as more warm or more bright, they're just selling a load of BS?

Think about it: When you fret a note, the fret "becomes" the nut. The string touches the saddle at one end & the fret at the other, metal to metal. That puts the fretboard material essentially outta the picture, tone wise.
Livin' The Life.

The Shocker

But the sound waves bounce off the fretboard at different harmonic frequencies based on the type of wood. 

Pulled that just now out of my ass.

James1214

not the first type of wood deaner has pulled out of his ass either... ..

bam
words

The Shocker

Hey now, I only work blue in gen disc.  I keep it PG in here.

Discö Rice

Quote from: RacerX on August 28, 2012, 03:49:58 PM

Think about it: When you fret a note, the fret "becomes" the nut. The string touches the saddle at one end & the fret at the other, metal to metal. That puts the fretboard material essentially outta the picture, tone wise.
So it takes the nut out of the picture. I don't see how that eliminates the tone of the fingerboard.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

RacerX

Quote from: Discö Rice on August 28, 2012, 04:08:28 PM
Quote from: RacerX on August 28, 2012, 03:49:58 PM

So it takes the nut out of the picture. I don't see how that eliminates the tone of the fingerboard.

The "tone of the fingerboard" does not exist. The string does not touch it except for on the left side of the fret, where it has virtually no effect upon tone. The biggest tonal difference will be between open strings and fretted strings because the nut material affects tonality on open strings.
Livin' The Life.

Jake

The fingerboard material does affect tone because the entire guitar carries the vibrations from the strings, including things like fretboards.

But just not nearly as much as the object of his ire is claiming is all. His point being that the differences in the woods are largely imperceptable for people, to which I agree. But if we were splitting hairs here (as he points out, the people at mylespaul.com infamously do), one is technically correct to say that fretboard wood is one of the (infinite?) variable that are responible for how an instrument sounds. It's up to each of us to decide just how much weight that carries.

I hear similar arguments all the time about nitro vs. poly, true bypass switches, oxygen-free copper in cables, 9 volt vs lesser volt batteries, etc.. It's called the internet. It's where people go to discuss everything ad infinitum. It's best to not take things so personally that you feel the need to call people "dumb motherfuckers" and grab your "big daddy" dick through your sweatpants in some sort of revenge video.
poop.

Jake

And anyone who disagrees with me is:

1. a dumb motherfucker, and
2. can suck my big daddy
poop.

Mr. Foxen

If the wood doesn't affect the tone, then dead spots don't exist. It is a factor of many. Other factors can be bigger deals, mostly if you can play of not. Perosnally I think any percieved difference between rosewood boards vs all maple necks is going to be more down to the fact one is a laminated neck, and one isn't , and one is lacquered, and one isn't. The way if feels is a much bigger deal once you actually play.

Baltar

Sorry to thread-jack but it's semi-related to pretentious or clueless youboob hilarity.  This time it's Premier Guitar's review of Hovercraft Amps' Andromeda.  This poor kid has no idea how badly he set-up his EQ, he makes shit-pudding out of custard pie.  Just watch it, trust me.  Here's some of the comments left:

"If you ever want? the sound of a 200-watt Marshall Major driving at 8" Jensen speaker, this amp nails it."

"This amp sounds terrible and is totally ugly...no clarity at? all...clean channel sounds totally generic. This amp would be perfect for overweight guitar nerds with bad hair and worse facial hair...just like the guy in the vid"

"that sounds like an angry bee taking a shit? through a straw."

"That Godin sounds like a piece of shit clean. Why? would it sound any better distorted?"

"Sounds like? an elephant having a shit"

It gets better, I guess the dude has a major man-camel toe going on after going through the reviews again.

Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.