Main Menu

BBQ!

Started by Sally, August 03, 2012, 08:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

renfield

^ all of the above tracks and helps explain why some of his techniques seem pretty bonkers to me.

So far my only complaint about this smoker is that it's a pain to clean. So many parts to get dirty!

Pissy

Competition ribs are another one.  Falling off the bone is bad.   The judges are looking for a half moon bite mark when they bite into it.  For my crowd, absolutely nobody is complaining if they fall off the bone.   

I'm making ribs today for the televised sportsball competition.  St Louis ribs. Seasoning will be s/p then garlic powder, brown sugar and chili powder in equal parts.  Cooked 3-2-1 wrapped in pink butcher paper, then photographed with black gloves in hdr on a 3 inch thick cutting board in front of a roaring fireplace.  I hired a lighting crew.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Gotta be a Boos board.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

I'd like some of those ribs right about now.
No Focus Pocus

renfield

Pissy

They were a hit.  More savory underneath, sauce is even less sweet than normal.  

I did what I said, but did 2 parts brown sugar.  Also added cocoa, coffee and sumac in the same equal parts.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Kudos for the sumac.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I've found the best bbq thermometer in my experience so far.  ThermPro.  

Now, it does the same thing most all of them do but, I've left it in the rain multiple times, for days sometimes, and it's still going.  If you leave it face down, it'll need drying out.  I did that by opening it up, and blowing all the water out of it.  But leaving it upright, or on its back, no issues.  

The other thing is, I've left it on for long periods- days- only to come back and it's still going.  So it's easy on batteries.  I clean the probe with a Clorox wipe. 

It comes with a remote monitor, with set points and alarms if you want to take a nap while you're cooking.  I don't care about that, actually I lost that part for a while, didn't miss it.  Found it in the grill compartment a few months ago. 

But yeah, the ThermPro gets my thumbs up. 

Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

It's that time again

Marinated in a slurry of fish sauce, lime juice, garlic, lemongrass, galangal, makrut leaves, krachai, cilantro, salt and white pepper
No Focus Pocus

Muffin Man

Quote from: RAGER on April 02, 2024, 11:12:50 AMIt's that time again

Marinated in a slurry of fish sauce, lime juice, garlic, lemongrass, galangal, makrut leaves, krachai, cilantro, salt and white pepper

Masterful heat control! on that "chimney" (I'm taking notes). Perfect day for it, looks like same weather here.
ps. I almost bought some apple wood chips but they'll still be there when I go back for more lump wood coal.

Pissy

It's been a minute since I grilled wings.  My wing source hasn't had a sale in a while, so I haven't been able to access anything reasonably priced.  
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

That pile of Mary's wings came n a tray pack and was $9 I think.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

So about $7/lb?
Vinyls.   deal.

RAGER

Yeah kinda silly. But delicious after I got done with em.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

I begin by arranging the wood chunks in a Fibonacci sequence.  
Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

Pissy

Then I cover them up loading the coal basket with charcoal.  I make sure there's a clear touching of the initial charcoal bricks that will be lit, to the chain of wood.  Put a starter stick in the middle.  
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Set up my temp controller, with the fan, pit probe and the cpu all connected up. 

I put the pit probe where the meat will go, but not under the meat, because it will not read correctly if meat it touching it. Also, I cover the water pan (no water) with foil because it is easier to clean. 

Set all of that up now.  
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

I make a brine at a ratio of 1cup each kosher salt and brown sugar to 1 gallon of water.  Here it was a gallon and a half, so 1 1/2 cups of each to the water. 
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Trim the fat cap off the butt.  Throw it in the bucket.  

Wait, first you need to unwrap it from the packaging and while you are trying really hard to keep everything clean, drain about half the liquid from the butt packaging down the face of your lower kitchen cabinet doors.  That the way I did it.  

Now throw it in the bucket and let it sit in the beer fridge overnight.  This will go about 11 hours which is more than enough.  

Vinyls.   deal.

Muffin Man

nods with glee, carry on..

RAGER

Yum. Pulled butt.
No Focus Pocus

Pissy

Next thing ya know it's 3:00am and I start the coals.  
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

Pull the butt from the brine, pat it dry wit paper towels, rub it.  The rub here is that same coffee/cocoa/sumac + some brown sugar, garlic powder and other stuff I don't remember.  First time I've used this rub this way.  
Vinyls.   deal.