The guys in my band have terrible tastes in band names

Started by bbottom, June 14, 2012, 11:23:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

I've named my last 4 or 5 bands. And I think that they were all pretty creative and well thought our names.

So with my one new band we are at the point where it comes to picking a name. I've been doing my part in throwing some pretty creative non dumb sounding names out there.

Well every name that they've thrown out there is terrible. And I mean terrible. We practice in a chicken coupe that was converted into storage units. So the one guy keeps suggestion names with either chicken or bird in it.
The other guy keeps throwing dumb Seinfeld references out there for a band name.
If these names were dumb, yet creative I could dig that... but they are just awful. Like band name generator awful.

So my question is this..... how does one go about convincing people with terrible ideas that mine are much much better?

liquidsmoke

Tell them that almost every possible band name already being taken is no excuse for you guys to have a horrible one.

Keep coming up with awesome names and keep presenting them to the other members. Hopefully something will click with them. Then use Google to see if the name is free if you care about that, most people don't but some with lawyer friends/dads do.

Lumpy

I would give them like 10 names you like. Overwhelm them with numbers. Or as many as possible.

Or take whatever name you like best, and make it into a logo to show them (some people have no imagination, and need to have things spelled out visually. A lot of people are like that, even visual artists sometimes).

If this doesn't work, make fun of their ideas ;)

(What are their ideas? We can make fun of them here. Describe the music too)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

VOLVO)))

Fuck. I am a victim of retard bandmates, in the past. "DUDE LETS NAME OUR BAND THE BLUE ANGELS, AFTER LIKE, LIT FARTS?"

I seriously wanted to quit at that point. Name comes last, pretty much.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bbottom

Quote from: Lumpy on June 15, 2012, 12:23:28 AM
I would give them like 10 names you like. Overwhelm them with numbers. Or as many as possible.

Or take whatever name you like best, and make it into a logo to show them (some people have no imagination, and need to have things spelled out visually. A lot of people are like that, even visual artists sometimes).

If this doesn't work, make fun of their ideas ;)

(What are their ideas? We can make fun of them here. Describe the music too)

I've already taken the approach of blasting them with about 10-15 names. I could live with just about any of them. They liked maybe one of them.

Well I've already sent one email after the name "Flew the Coup" was suggested. I simply said that the name sounded like something that a terrible cover band would use.... which we are very far from.

The type of music we play is heavy rock that can get doomish at times. Which is the other thing that I am taking into consideration when coming up with names. Apparently I'm the only one though.

I want to get this thing squashed as soon as possible because I don't want it to become a thing.

mortlock

everdrone

Quote from: mortlock on June 15, 2012, 01:04:36 AM
black chicken.

you can thank me later..

that one is pretty killer!

chicken feed

henhouse

nebulous feathers

peckers

the roosters

chickenfoot!  :)

dudumchssssh
wah wah wah

Ryno

If a bear shits in the woods, should I have a cocktail?

rayinreverse

Why is anything chicken related not automatically out, A. Because its retarded and B. There is a prettty well known and equally shitty band called Chickenfoot.

But if you go with Doom Rooster you could make sweet shirts. Or oh shit wait for it, Cock A Doodle Doom.

jibberish

the biggest mistake in band names is to absorb current pop culture into the name. next year they are screwed when that stuff is long forgotten and the name loses all relevance and really looks dumb then.
keep it timeless.

ok, on to this week's round of the name game heh:

chick magnet

hen house murder

chicken blood voodoo

mark of the chicken claw

weasel alert

henbane (i actually like this.. it's a real plant with the doom "bane" ending)

jibberish

then you go with an entire doomchicken themed album
then you go viral and get a contract, mtv and stadium headliner world tour
piece of cake

8D

jibberish

CAWK

you are very welcome, thread over.

and you can make up some mystical but totally false rumour regarding what those 4 letters really stand for, but that shit fuels the fire for more CAWK..see? even though it really is a deliberate misspelling of a single word in intent. create the mystique and all the dudes will be interested in getting more CAWK.

o_0

(edit: sry offtopic, but i just wante to say, the "best of the outlaws" CD is one hell of a sweet cd..since it is rocking my little world right now heh..lovin' life..hippy speedballin' to the outlaws..."eeeeeeeewwww-wheeeee HAAAAA! ")

mawso

just eat a tin of alphabet spaghetti, and go with whatever you shit out

Demon Lung

The Shocker

The Shocker

bbottom

Quote from: rayinreverse on June 15, 2012, 01:57:16 AM
Why is anything chicken related not automatically out, A. Because its retarded and B. There is a prettty well known and equally shitty band called Chickenfoot.

But if you go with Doom Rooster you could make sweet shirts. Or oh shit wait for it, Cock A Doodle Doom.

cock a doodle doom and Doom rooster are pretty funny

fallen

Bands should have 3 rules for names. 1. ALL members should agree on the name. 2. The .com domain name should be available. 3. Never use a joke name unless it's a super deep inside joke. (eg. Steely Dan)

Personally I hate joke bands and sarcastic bands and singers that try to do stand up comedy between songs. I would honestly rather go see a show of Christian hardcore (because they go hard 100%) than a sarcastic stoner band called Chicken Joint. In my opinion anyway.

Lumpy

I don't like joke bands but there are some notable exceptions (the Upper Crust for example, they dress like 18th century blue blood aristocrats, all their songs are about how rich they are, and they rock like AC/DC).

Tell those dudes eventually you're going to move out of the chicken coop, and you'll still be stuck with that name.

Maybe there is a cool bird-related name you can make up, though.

Lumpy

Of course there's already an Atomic Rooster, and Jimmy's Chicken Shack.

The Shocker

Quote from: fallen on June 15, 2012, 12:48:55 PM
Bands should have 3 rules for names. 1. ALL members should agree on the name. 2. The .com domain name should be available. 3. Never use a joke name unless it's a super deep inside joke. (eg. Steely Dan)

Personally I hate joke bands and sarcastic bands and singers that try to do stand up comedy between songs. I would honestly rather go see a show of Christian hardcore (because they go hard 100%) than a sarcastic stoner band called Chicken Joint. In my opinion anyway.
Quote from: Lumpy on June 15, 2012, 12:56:42 PM
I don't like joke bands but there are some notable exceptions (the Upper Crust for example, they dress like 18th century blue blood aristocrats, all their songs are about how rich they are, and they rock like AC/DC).

Tell those dudes eventually you're going to move out of the chicken coop, and you'll still be stuck with that name.

Maybe there is a cool bird-related name you can make up, though.

I liked Mr. Plow the first few times I heard them, but the joke songs got old.

khoomeizhi

let's dispense the unpleasantries

EddieMullet

Nuclear Hen, being a take on Atomic Rooster might be an idea.

Then again maybe not.

ryansummit

i cant get stormgizzard
and gibletosaur out of my head
and chicken shit is one of the best word combos ever