Amp / Pedal Guts/Mod Thread

Started by Hemisaurus, January 23, 2011, 05:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jor el

I have a mig60, but I don't know nothin' 'boot gutting it.
What Would Scooby Do ?

VOLVO)))

Remove the four screws that hold the chassis in, pull it out gently, without touching anything on the underside, snap pictures, in detail, replace in box, tighten screws.

or send it to me.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

This is posted as an example of what not to do when making an amp

this amp has a grounding issue, cause some idiot did a ground run via the front panel. The pots and jacks are all mounted on the same PCB as the power transistors, end result all those components have bad solder joints.

From a servicing standpoint it's a pain in the ass, rather than shield it, they stuck sliver foil to the top and sides of the cabinet, which peels off, when it catches on the chassis. To get to the underside of the board, you have to remove all the knobs, undo all the nuts on the pots and undo all the jacks as well.

I think I need to start a no solid state / no PCB rule for my repairs. >:(

VOLVO)))

Gotta fuckin' LOVE Crate repairs. boring. Fuck those plastic pieces of shit jacks.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

The jacks themselves ain't bad, I've seen them on speaker cabs and stuff and they last. Mounting them on a PCB is where it all goes wrong. Especially if it's a big board, a liitle board just for front panel controls wouldn't be under such stresses, but a big board where it flexes, yech.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 26, 2011, 10:45:18 PM
The jacks themselves ain't bad, I've seen them on speaker cabs and stuff and they last. Mounting them on a PCB is where it all goes wrong. Especially if it's a big board, a liitle board just for front panel controls wouldn't be under such stresses, but a big board where it flexes, yech.

I just have an aversion to plastic and my guitar equipment, I guess.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

black_out

Internal of the BYOC 2 Knob Bender clone. I posted this in the thread I started about the build, too, but since this is a sticky I thought that it wouldn't hurt to post it hear, as well.

By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

VOLVO)))

It is indeed stickied for this exact purpose!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

I've got a few from around the shop/house.

MXR Dist+ via Dunlop 90's reissue.

DOD Buzz Box.

DOD Hard Rock distortion with Delay...  It's kind of weird.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

peyotepeddler

nice thread guys, i have a few pedals that would be cool to post the guts to

nice to see you around hemi, cheers man

VOLVO)))

You've committed, you must deliver! I'm glad Hemi's back, too, the board was really boring without him.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

peyotepeddler

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 29, 2011, 12:20:46 AM
You've committed, you must deliver! I'm glad Hemi's back, too, the board was really boring without him.

cheers man

i have a older dod phaser, dod american metal, and a reissue maestro fuzz:)

might post a few standards as well

Discö Rice

Sunno))) I miss my Buzz Box so much - it was stolen a few years back. Let me know if you wanna sell that badboy.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Discö Rice on January 31, 2011, 07:27:49 PM
Sunno))) I miss my Buzz Box so much - it was stolen a few years back. Let me know if you wanna sell that badboy.

It's a fun toy, dude. From what I understand, it's just an MXR Blue Box + the DOD grunge pedal. The distortion on it is pretty neat...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Yeah, plus a crazy treble boost (the SAW control). I used mine alot.

VOLVO)))

I have the original box and manual, too. Speaking of manuals, I want amp/pedal manuals from all Sunn products, and rarities, as well.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 31, 2011, 08:16:07 PM
I have the original box and manual, too. Speaking of manuals, I want amp/pedal manuals from all Sunn products, and rarities, as well.
"Turn up the HEAVY for that 'Anal Satan' sound!" Heh that manual was quite silly.

VOLVO)))

"It's not broken, it's supposed to sound like that!"

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Discö Rice

Baltar

Here's an MXR Classic Fuzz I did.  They come stock with 3 internal trim pots.  You wouldn' know unless you pull it apart.  It's a pretty good Silicon Fuzz Face and one of the pots is a bias pot for that "velcro-gated" fuzz sound.  I'd be happy to post more pics and step-by-steps.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Discö Rice

That looks very simple indeed.

VOLVO)))

I'm pretty enamored with companies that put hidden gems like this in their pedals. I know way huge does it... I wonder who else puts trimmers in their pedals.. Never seen one in an EHX pedal...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

ROWDYBEER

Not my morley or picture but none the less the guts of a morley power fuzz wah

[attachment deleted by admin]

Instant Dan

There is a caveman simple mod for the Phase 90, supposedly makes it similair to the vintage Phase 90. It sounds fairly good from what I have seen on youtube. Thought about doing it myself but I like the over-the-top of the Phase 90.
http://lycidas512.blogspot.com/2009/01/mxr-phase-90-mod.html

Ayek

Quote from: SunnO))) on February 01, 2011, 02:19:53 PM
I'm pretty enamored with companies that put hidden gems like this in their pedals. I know way huge does it... I wonder who else puts trimmers in their pedals.. Never seen one in an EHX pedal...

There's at least one trimpot in the Q-tron, well, the old big box one does. Not sure about the new ones