Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SSL certificate installed.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Nirvana  (Read 9021 times)

Demon Lung

Re: Nirvana
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 11:53:46 AM »

ah ok ive only heard that one winger song. kip winger was like your age in that video

GodShifter

• Global Moderator
  • FOCUS: 793
  • Moderazi
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 11:54:50 AM »

How dare you!  :P :'(

Demon Lung

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 11:55:20 AM »

who gives a shit about hair metal. 

back on topic

you know nothing. wasp kicked way more ass than nirvana could ever dream of

Demon Lung

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 11:57:25 AM »

GodShifter

• Global Moderator
  • FOCUS: 793
  • Moderazi
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 11:58:06 AM »

We've talked about Nirvana a zillion times here (and there), but I still like & appreciate them. For as ragged as it sounds (in a good way), there are some tunes on Bleach that just tear it up. "School" and "Negative Creep" jump right out immediately.

Demon Lung

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 11:59:34 AM »

Discö Rice

• FOCUS: -176
  • Told you not to CALL here and INTERRUPT MY kung fu
    • :D
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 11:59:54 AM »

Why is it discussions about Nirvana always lead to someone bringing up shit bands they wish it was still cool to like?
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

kojak

• FOCUS: 315
    • the art of kojak
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 12:01:37 PM »

Why is it discussions about Nirvana always lead to someone bringing up shit bands they wish it was still cool to like?

^^^

maybe it's the guilt some people had when they were younger and all of a sudden the music they LOVED was immediately made to look like a hollowed out soulless joke, and they had to buy nirvana to not look like a fool.  maybe they always resented them for that.  i dunno. 

all i know is that hair metal needed a bullet put into it's brain, and Nirvana definitely did that.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:08:03 PM by kojak »

Demon Lung

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2012, 12:05:05 PM »

nirvana is the 2nd most overrated band in the history of music

RacerX

• FOCUS: -1877
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2012, 12:06:13 PM »

Simple: Because Nirvana has become uncool to like.
\m/\m/

Discö Rice

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »

It's not cool to like anything, actually, especially if you think it might be.

Demon Lung

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2012, 12:22:40 PM »

Simple: Because Nirvana has become uncool to like.
i never liked nirvana. i used to like the come as you are song but now i dont even like that one. although bleach was ok but it wasnt good. and if i remember correctly which im siure i do man in the box broke before nirvana did therefore alice in chains should be credited with the turnaround in rock music and not nirvana

frobbert

• FOCUS: 114
  • Snobby shit
    • facebook profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2012, 12:26:06 PM »

People who prefer bands for the coolness factor instead of the music are totally missing the point. Neither all thing extreme metal and hardcore nor grunge becoming the next cool thing (or stoner for that matter) has ever stopped me from liking Queensrÿche, Iron Maiden, Zappa and Rush, even when my hc/punk/thrash metal friends loudly harrumphed upon those bands. Don't think that's cool enough? Bite me  :P

Let the music do the talking, you trendies  ::)
"BLACK! BLACK! BLACK! You lock me in the cellar and feed me pins! Where are we sleeping tonight Mother? Father's grave?!?"

black

• FOCUS: 5339
  • StonerRock Is For Lovers
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2012, 12:26:20 PM »

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Nirvana. It probably started in the mid 1980's when my band traveled to Santa Fe, New Mexico. We were booked to play at a dive bar on the outskirts of town called the Rockin' T. P. It was a local band called 27 Devils Joking, us and some cats out of Seattle called Nirvana. There were about 17 people at the whole gig, including band members. Nirvana played like madmen and killed it. Won me over and I still dig that sound. Not concerned so much over the "purity" of any of the albums. I just dig Rocking.

At the end of the night, the chick that was traveling with them as a merch/road manager approched us. She noticed we were selling some of our own records and handed me a cassette. She said the band was trying to get signed to a label and saw that we were on one and if we liked the music, perhaps we could help Nirvana get on our label. I explained that our "label" consisted of the smallest post office box available and about 875 of those albums stashed under the singers bed, keeping it level. She dug what was up and said I could keep the cassette. Less than a year later, most of those songs appeared on a record called Nevermind.

After that, anytime I was somewhere Nirvana was playing, they would invite us (band mates and whoever) backstage to shmooze. I had know Dave before, during the Punk Rock days when my Punk Rock band would occasionally cross paths with Scream. I never did meet Courtney though.

But you know who's really a name dropper?
My good friend Dan Truly.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

Demon Lung

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2012, 12:32:11 PM »

People who prefer bands for the coolness factor instead of the music are totally missing the point. Neither all thing extreme metal and hardcore nor grunge becoming the next cool thing (or stoner for that matter) has ever stopped me from liking Queensrÿche, Iron Maiden, Zappa and Rush, even when my hc/punk/thrash metal friends loudly harrumphed upon those bands. Don't think that's cool enough? Bite me  :P

Let the music do the talking, you trendies  ::)
thats what im saying man. i can still listen to wasp and queensryche. the element of rocking can be in any type of music. for me nirvana lacked that element. like on leviathan when mastodon starts busting out mind bending riffs that havent been heard from them since. nirvana never did that for me. they were too poppy. and pop music is the only type of music that lacks the element of rocking. although michael jackson had it on albums like off the wall

juan11

• FOCUS: 1597
  • Total time logged in: 1 hours and 11 minutes.
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2012, 12:32:27 PM »

Man, I haven't heard that first song kojak posted in a while--  good good stuff.  Brings me back...

I also agree with everything chlorpromazine said.

And as MJS reminded me, I didn't come from hair metal, and I especially never connected to the too-late-to-the-party-but-had-a-good-run-anyway second wave glam ala the Sunset Strip bands listed earlier.  I'm not surprised Jibberish digs it, but some of you need shock treatment.  Give you give you shock treatment...

My buddy asked me if I wanted to go see them in Tijuana way back when, and for whatever reason, I didn't go.  Probably the tour Black is talking about?

Later, Smells Like Teen Spirit hit the TV, and all my friends that also didn't come from hair metal breathed a sigh of relief...  however briefly.  It was like, "haha--  you turds sucked, now eat it", but then it was all Eddy Vedder, STP, Silver god damn Chair shite up the butt.

The MTV™ Unplugged™ set is fucking ACE.  How's that for uncool?
You may take two.

Demon Lung

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2012, 12:33:21 PM »

why are we even talking about pop bands like nirvana on the forum?

frobbert

• Snobby shit
    • facebook profile
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2012, 12:34:49 PM »

Speaking of hair metal, personally I think this was a hair band too. They later became Pearl jam  ;D
<<Only registered users can see images, please register or login>>
"BLACK! BLACK! BLACK! You lock me in the cellar and feed me pins! Where are we sleeping tonight Mother? Father's grave?!?"

Demon Lung

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2012, 12:35:59 PM »

and they still blow. another pop band turned punk

Mr. Blue

• FOCUS: 17
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2012, 12:37:27 PM »

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Nirvana. It probably started in the mid 1980's when my band traveled to Santa Fe, New Mexico. We were booked to play at a dive bar on the outskirts of town called the Rockin' T. P. It was a local band called 27 Devils Joking, us and some cats out of Seattle called Nirvana. There were about 17 people at the whole gig, including band members. Nirvana played like madmen and killed it. Won me over and I still dig that sound. Not concerned so much over the "purity" of any of the albums. I just dig Rocking.

At the end of the night, the chick that was traveling with them as a merch/road manager approched us. She noticed we were selling some of our own records and handed me a cassette. She said the band was trying to get signed to a label and saw that we were on one and if we liked the music, perhaps we could help Nirvana get on our label. I explained that our "label" consisted of the smallest post office box available and about 875 of those albums stashed under the singers bed, keeping it level. She dug what was up and said I could keep the cassette. Less than a year later, most of those songs appeared on a record called Nevermind.

After that, anytime I was somewhere Nirvana was playing, they would invite us (band mates and whoever) backstage to shmooze. I had know Dave before, during the Punk Rock days when my Punk Rock band would occasionally cross paths with Scream. I never did meet Courtney though.

But you know who's really a name dropper?
My good friend Dan Truly.

That is an awesome story Black.  I really like reading stuff like this. 
3 reasons why James said that his Black Sabbath record was important:
"First it scared the shit out of me. Second, it crushed the fuck out of all the peace'n'love'n everything's groovy bullshit that was still hanging around in the early seventies. And third, my friends moms wouldn't let them own it

frobbert

• Snobby shit
    • facebook profile
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2012, 12:37:39 PM »

I think we have different views on what's punk or pop, mr. Lung  :P

kojak

• the art of kojak
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2012, 12:43:45 PM »

who gives a shit if something is pop?  good is good.

juan11

• FOCUS: 1597
  • Total time logged in: 1 hours and 11 minutes.
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2012, 12:44:53 PM »

^^^ yeah, that rules too.

Wasn't the Diddler, or somebody at the party where the Bleach cover photo was taken?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:47:07 PM by juan11 »
You may take two.

Discö Rice

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2012, 12:48:43 PM »

Maybe I should be clear - I still love Nirvana. Bleach is the one I find myself throwing on the most, but I love their whole catalog.

kojak

• the art of kojak
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2012, 12:49:29 PM »

how is this not pop?  basic verse, chorus, verse guitar stuff.  there is nothing NOT pop about this.

and btw, that song is ghey as fuck.  i hope that's not yer example of something better than nirvana.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 12:51:57 PM by kojak »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6