Main Menu

Picking up an agile today

Started by ROWDYBEER, January 19, 2011, 10:27:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ROWDYBEER

Agile AL-3100 CSB Bird $200
Hoping all the hype is true. I need this to replace my 76 Gibson Sg standard so I can sell it and get another Yamaha sg2000.
What has to be done to agiles to make them gig worthy? 

black_out

Most people completely rewire them and throw new pickups in, but my friend just bought one with P90s and that beast sounds pretty damn good as is.
By my side I keep my things that I ne-uh-ed! Rest in peace is gonna set me free!

ROWDYBEER

Holy shit the hype is real. This thing is sweet. My only complaint is the set up sucks. Action is crazy high. Other than that I may not do anything. I have some seymour pafs and rs guitarworks electronics if need be. Unbelievable for $200.

dogfood

nut. plastic. change.  much improvement.
Problem solving whiskey!

ROWDYBEER

I think it has a graph tech tusq nut. Its not plastic.

Ranbat

I didn't do anything to my Valkyrie III except tweak the action and intonation a little and I've had it about 6 years. Never failed me at a gig or practice. I do believe mine has a plastic nut but I think the newer ones have better nuts.
Meh :/

ROWDYBEER

According to Kurt agile never used plastic nuts. Always graphite. Im not clear if he was referring to AL-3100's or all agiles. He did not specify he just said hat it was not possible for the nut to be plastic because agile has always used graphite and around march of 2009 they started using graph tech nuts.

Discö Rice

Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Mike_Sims

Agile is definitely a big bang for your buck. I have an AL-3000 myself w/ P90's, the thing is nothing other than amazing. Sounds incredible! The electronic work was actually done really well, the finish is beautiful as well. Agree with the setup statement though, but it's always fun (for me at least) to set guitars up to your own specs. And yes, they use Graphtec nuts.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Mike_Sims on January 22, 2011, 10:52:21 PM
Agile is definitely a big bang for your buck. I have an AL-3000 myself w/ P90's, the thing is nothing other than amazing. Sounds incredible! The electronic work was actually done really well, the finish is beautiful as well. Agree with the setup statement though, but it's always fun (for me at least) to set guitars up to your own specs. And yes, they use Graphtec nuts.

Glad you found your way, Sims.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mike_Sims

Yeahhh dude, thanks again for that, man. My down time was getting real boring without this place!!!  8)

ROWDYBEER

Here she is. In all her real maple top glory. Fuck yeah agile. $200 fucking crazy

[attachment deleted by admin]

Discö Rice

giantchris

0o0o0o0o0o I like the colour.  Throw some clips!  And dude who had the AL-3000 with the p90s got any clips of that one? 

ROWDYBEER

So I a b c'd some guitars on my rig. Two emperor 2x12's loaded with weber 65's, ampeg v4, earthbound audio supercollider.
Agile AL3100 vs 1976 Gibson Sg standard vs 1979 Yamaha sg2000
Agile smoked the Gibson Sg and is a great second guitar to the Yamaha.

ROWDYBEER

Picks of said rig in the show off thread. Ha

Discö Rice

Mike_Sims

Quote from: giantchris on January 23, 2011, 11:48:10 AM
0o0o0o0o0o I like the colour.  Throw some clips!  And dude who had the AL-3000 with the p90s got any clips of that one?  

...Perhaps. Not playing anything really, just wanking off and saturating myself in tone. I'll play an actual song for once soon. You can hear it on my band's recordings, but I'm not gonna whore it out on here out of courtesy. If you're interested just PM me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4x1ic10BW8

Edit: Here's another. Using a Rat on this one. Same story, bullshit playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbnyXFb0gOM

ROWDYBEER

Quote from: Discö Rice on January 23, 2011, 08:55:08 PM
"smoked the gibson"?

Smoked how?

Gibson was packed in bong, lit up, and smoked. Agile for the win high as hell.

SPAM
1976 gibson Sg standard for sale!!!!!w/ohsc

Discö Rice

Right, I get it. I'm just curious as to what specifically was better about the tone. Believe me, if I had the cash, I'd take that SG off your hands in a heartbeat.

ROWDYBEER

The agile just has a bigger sound. Don't get me wrong a Gibson Sg has it's place but not in my hands. I guess I'm just a heavy guitar guy. Going from a 10+ pound guitar to the Gibson Sg is just tough. Feels like a kids guitar.

Mike_Sims

Quote from: ROWDYBEER on January 24, 2011, 02:31:49 PM
The agile just has a bigger sound. Don't get me wrong a Gibson Sg has it's place but not in my hands. I guess I'm just a heavy guitar guy. Going from a 10+ pound guitar to the Gibson Sg is just tough. Feels like a kids guitar.
This is true, I switch back n forth between my Agile (yes, they really weigh like 10+ pounds) and a couple SG's and yeah, it's a huge difference. I'm still not used to the smaller scale of the sg haha

VOLVO)))

The SG has the same scale as the Agile, Mike. 24.75 is Gibson scale, 25.5 is Fender, 25 is a PRS, etc. Scale length really only makes a huge difference in terms of how easy bends are, and I guess intonation at lower tunings. The difference in feel with any guitar is so subjective to each player, it's hard to take a spec. sheet and decipher which instrument is better. The neck on the LP, as well as the gravity effect of the heavy guitar, probably suits it to your hands better. Kind of like a pillar. I can move my SG around, a lot easier than I can any of my Teles, or LPs. My SG has a baseball bat neck on it, and it neck dives like a mothefucker, but it plays like a dream. The LPs, on the other hand, stay in perfect balance, and stay in one place when I play them, but I can't manipulate the entire guitar to get certain nuances like I can the SG. It's just a matter of the player, you know?
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mike_Sims

Interesting, maybe I'm just mind fucking myself. Feels like the frets on the SG are way smaller, I tend to "over slide" sometimes on it