Main Menu

Peavey Classic 400

Started by MichaelZodiac, April 04, 2012, 03:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelZodiac

I'm GASsing pretty hard right now for a Peavey Classic 400 that's up on Egay... There isn't actually a bidding war going on so I'm wondering if I should take the plunge and try to outbid the others. Any personal experience with them? I know they weigh a ton but soundwise?
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

VOLVO)))

Price as of now?

It's a beast, immediately replace the tubes.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

MichaelZodiac

5 days to go and it's at 70 euros. Been watching since it went up, I started watching 2 days ago, it was at 63 back then. I figure if it stays below 800, it's worth it but I'm not sure.

edit: Are the factory tubes worthless? What kind of 6550 tubes should I put in it?
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

grimniggzy

Snipe on http://www.gixen.com/index.php
Enter the highest amount you're willing to spend and ebay item number.
Gixen bids for you at the end of the auction iff'n nobody's outbid you already.

This will make sure you don't drive up the price unnecessarily.
Bidding before the end of the auction just doesn't make sense.

grimniggzy

I usually don't fuck with anything without a reasonable buy it now on ebay anymore. too many dissapointments in the past.
But when I do, I use gixen.

MichaelZodiac

Yeah I don't like the bidding part one bit. Thanks for the gixen tip.

Nolan

grimniggzy

no problemo. not sure how gixen will work since you're overseas. there may be a sniping service more local to you, but gixen has never failed me in all the times I've used it. I believe the free mirror on gixen is located in Chicago.

grimniggzy

also, if you're able to be at a computer when the auction is nearing the end it would definitely be best to bid then anyway just to be sure. but i've actually gotten used to letting gixen do its job without worrying about the stress of the end of an auction.

Jake

If I ever find myself looking for a tube bass amplifier, it will be a Classic 400 no doubt about it.

My advice, buy that sumbitch.
poop.

RAGER

There's one in Cave Springs Ar. in need of repair for 100 bucks
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

Someone get it for me

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Too late, it's on it's way here ;D

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Waiting on the price for shipping, and the PayPal link.

Then I have to get the $250+ worth of tubes :(

fuzzfarmer

I had thought about buying the one in Cave Springs, seeing as how its only 10 min drive, but figured with the all the tubes, and possibly a transformer..I didnt really want to mess with it.

Hemisaurus

Well if / when I get it, I'll probably get bored of it once it's running. I predict I'd have it up for sale here about September. ;)

VOLVO)))

All of my want.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

I want one. Is it the ugly tweedy one?

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Well, you can have first dibs on this one, if it arrives, if it exists, and if I get it repaired and get bored with it ;D

It's black, from the picture, bit weird, it looks as if they have carpetted the front of it? I'm beginning to suspect a troll, which would save me on tube costs, so I'm split on it ;) Been pricing KT88's and add in the five preamp tubes, it's going to run to a small fortune.

VOLVO)))

Holler at Nick for dem tubes.

Better than 12 6l6s!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

SoupKitchen

...or 32 EL84s at 400something plate volts...Peavey does bad, bad things to EL84s. Somehow they survive and sound good. I know a lot of folks swear by the Classic 50s and 100s.

I think it'd be hilarious if the Classic 400 was based on EL84s. I know, Miller capacitance and all that.

MichaelZodiac

3 days to go, seller only does pickup, it's worth the 6hour drive right?

/anxious waiting

Nolan

grimniggzy

fuzzfarmer

I drove 5 hours to memphis and back, to get my Model T.