Status Quo - Quo Live

Started by Woody, March 29, 2012, 08:58:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody

Been meaning to get this tape for years. Finally got it and wrote it up for Ripple -

http://www.ripplemusic.blogspot.com/2012/03/status-quo-quo-live.html

The Shocker

To my mind they were the quintessential boogie band - even more than Foghat.  Piledriver is still my favorite album by them.

Doommantia

Essential Quo but I have always thought the sound is muddy, still think if you were to buy just one Quo album it would be this one.

MikeyT

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

The Shocker

Hey, how is their name pronounced?  My friends and I always pronounced it Stat us Quo, but recently I heard someone call them State us Quo.  I know us Southerners pronounce a lot of stuff differently, so what is right?

vinyldinosaurus

Great live album. My copy came with a bonus 45 of a couple studio tracks produced by Roger Glover.

GodShifter

Looking at rym account, I have both 'Quo' and 'Piledriver' and neither, as I recall, have done much for me. I'm not sure what it is, but the band doesn't rock enough or whatever. Maybe I need to listen to them again, but I'm not real motivated to so, either.

vinyldinosaurus

Quote from: GodShifter on April 06, 2012, 01:50:02 PM
Looking at rym account, I have both 'Quo' and 'Piledriver' and neither, as I recall, have done much for me. I'm not sure what it is, but the band doesn't rock enough or whatever. Maybe I need to listen to them again, but I'm not real motivated to so, either.

Piledriver has its moments but Quo is fucking great. Crack open an ice cold one and give it another listen...

If you like it, proceed to check out Hello!, On The Level or Blue For You.

GeeZa

Quote from: The Shocker on April 06, 2012, 07:58:54 AM
Hey, how is their name pronounced?  My friends and I always pronounced it Stat us Quo, but recently I heard someone call them State us Quo.  I know us Southerners pronounce a lot of stuff differently, so what is right?
Oh it's State-us Quo in England. And you are quite correct, Piledriver is full on heads-down awesome. The thing is with "The Quo" is that whilst they were often horribly shit, when they weren't, they were fucking unbelievably good. "Down down" is one of those under-rated rock classics, it's a monster track.

EddieMullet

Piledriver is my favorite, but Roadhouse Blues is a weak spot there too as it is on the live album.

I've burnt many a brain cell whist Piledriver provided the soundtrack.

RalphSnart_2

Recently picked up Dog Of Two Head after reading something about Status Quo. I'd heard the name a couple times before. The phrase "meat and potatoes" is very appropriate, as it also applies to Foghat. Good guitar, pretty standard boogie blues rock. Part of it is that they were huge in the UK but are virtually unknown in the US. At least, to anybody under 40. You'd get more reaction asking people about Blackfoot or Nazareth.

The Shocker

The Acrimony cover of Oh Baby is what got me into them.

stooge

Quote from: The Shocker on April 06, 2012, 07:58:54 AM
Hey, how is their name pronounced?  My friends and I always pronounced it Stat us Quo, but recently I heard someone call them State us Quo.  I know us Southerners pronounce a lot of stuff differently, so what is right?
it´s
staytus quo

this album is cool but way too long
when i was a kid older brothers of my mates named them "stupid rock" because they praised genesis and floyd
but to me they were kinda proto punk
no frills stripped down short songs
not on this album though ;)
i didn´t forget - i just couldn´t remember...

Lumpy

When "Pictures of Matchstick Men" was a hit, they called them Stat-us Quo on the radio in Chicago. Even when talking politics (or whatever), I've always heard  "status" pronounced that way. Maybe it's a Euro/US thing.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

JLKOWAL

I have a double live vinyl of SQ but I just think of them as some poor man's basic average British rock band - never caught on to them. Not as good as UFO or other mainstream British bands, IMHO. :( :-\

stooge

it´s called boogie
it´s a groove thing you wouldn´t understand
i didn´t forget - i just couldn´t remember...

Lumpy

Is that Boogie with a hard G sound?

Or Boogie with a soft J sound?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.