Main Menu

logo artists here??

Started by mortlock, March 25, 2012, 09:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grimniggzy

they look awesome, many thanks
I'll PM you about high rezzie's

Quote from: mutantcolors on April 01, 2012, 04:10:43 AM
a puddle of waste flowing out of a sewage pipe that spells out grime status...

Quote from: James1214 on April 01, 2012, 04:24:54 AM
hmmm, good idea. methinks ill roll with it.

:2thumbsup:

VOLVO)))

We're trying to come up with a band name as we speak...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

mutantcolors

I got 3000 of 'em. Name ya flava.

clockwork green

It's so easy to over think the whole band name thing.  My new band doesn't have a name and I'm at a loss for ideas.  Everything sounds too cheesy, taken or too pretentious.   
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

VOLVO)))

Quote from: clockwork green on April 01, 2012, 02:54:53 PM
It's so easy to over think the whole band name thing.  My new band doesn't have a name and I'm at a loss for ideas.  Everything sounds too cheesy, taken or too pretentious.   

Yup. I always go simple, one word.

Learning towards Childe. Basically "Noble Child"

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

James1214

niggz, i had a sketch of this kicking around as a poster idea, and forgot about it, went thru my sketchbook and started rendering it out cuz i think it works, maybe not as a logo but as a t-shirt, snapped a pic before i start lettering, so if ya like it ill finish it up. if not ill do everything except lettering and keep it around for someone else.

words

VOLVO)))

I... really like it. I wish my band was a thrash band...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

James1214

clockwork, as a thank you for that 212 i will do some art for ya when you get a name picked out.

on another note, i have literally received a dozen emails in the last 2 weeks from a few forums ive been posting my stuff on asking for work, and i think i have to consider beginning to charge for my services. anyone have an idea as to what a reasonable rate for this type of stuff is? i dont want to sell myself short, but i dont want to price gouge either and as i have never delved into charging for my art i am at a loss as to what to do.

any help or insight is appreciated.
words

VOLVO)))

Oh boy. The only issues with charging are, once somebody pays you... it's their call. Art is subjective, and if they don't like what you did... they may not pay you. Always get a deposit. Make sure everything is in paper, unless it's good bros, and even then...

don't do flat rates on anything... you'll fuck yourself. Quote only, unless it's like "basic logo" etc etc.

Bro deals will kill you.

This is all coming from the guitar tech that doesn't charge his friends, or forumites for his services.

so, I'm full of shit.

A name for my band will be coming in he next... four hours.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

rayinreverse

Quote from: James1214 on April 01, 2012, 03:03:17 PM
niggz, i had a sketch of this kicking around as a poster idea, and forgot about it, went thru my sketchbook and started rendering it out cuz i think it works, maybe not as a logo but as a t-shirt, snapped a pic before i start lettering, so if ya like it ill finish it up. if not ill do everything except lettering and keep it around for someone else.

this is a cool concept! I'd make this in to a tshirt for my band in a heartbeat.

mutantcolors

1: Chylde already exists and is pretty awesome. http://www.myspace.com/chyldemusic

2: Professionals of many sorts often charge hrly rates upwards of $75. Food for thought.

VOLVO)))

Band names are so hard.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

Do you want band name suggestions? If so - which project is it?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

grimniggzy

Quote from: James1214 on April 01, 2012, 03:03:17 PM

thats awesome looking, i'm definitely down. seems like it'd be cool as hell.
I could def, throw a few bucks your way just lemme know through PM or whatever.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: Lumpy on April 02, 2012, 02:15:43 AM
Do you want band name suggestions? If so - which project is it?

It's the one where I use that funky bass/guitar rig. It's kind of like mixing Corrupted/Asunder with some huge traditional doom band...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

fallen

Quote from: James1214 on April 01, 2012, 03:09:54 PM
clockwork, as a thank you for that 212 i will do some art for ya when you get a name picked out.

on another note, i have literally received a dozen emails in the last 2 weeks from a few forums ive been posting my stuff on asking for work, and i think i have to consider beginning to charge for my services. anyone have an idea as to what a reasonable rate for this type of stuff is? i dont want to sell myself short, but i dont want to price gouge either and as i have never delved into charging for my art i am at a loss as to what to do.

any help or insight is appreciated.

"Work for free or work for full price, never work for cheap." Here's a decen't explanation of that quote:

If you do a job for free you can control the expectations of the client. You can tell them what the boundaries are and what they should expect of you. When they aren't paying anything they don't want to overstep those boundaries to piss you off. They are thankful for any work that they can get out of you.

This is why charging for free is a better option than charging cheap because people who pay money have the same expectations no matter what they are paying. If that is going to be the case shouldn't you be rewarded appropriately for the time you are taking?

When you charge a rate that you feel is underpaying you, you become a pain in the ass to the client and yourself. You begin to despise design because it feels like cheap labor. Your creativity suffers along with your work performance. Instead of focusing on the job at hand all you do is worry about the guy down the street making more money than you.

I think it's fair to charge 60 an hour for creative work as a starting point. Charge 40 an hour for revisions or making a reverse version or converting file formats. Give people quotes in number of hours rather than dollars so you never end up working to a flat rate.

Then get a good billing program that has a timer in it and bill people to the minute. Clients like that.

Mr Neutron

"Where words fail, music speaks."

mutantcolors

Wolves in the Stealin' My Shit Room.

(also sounds like atrocious gay torture chamber)

VOLVO)))

Quote from: mutantcolors on April 03, 2012, 11:58:44 AM
Wolves in the Stealin' My Shit Room.

(also sounds like atrocious gay torture chamber)

You weren't in Weakling... or Nargaroth!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

James1214

words

mutantcolors

Power rad.

...also, Sunn, I got your band name today in a stroke of genius.

BEAST REALITY

VOLVO)))

I like Power Rad for a punk/hardcore band, haha.

Im real particular about band names. I know I write bands off for having shitty names, occasionally. Most of the time, I'm right. I really dig band names that roll off the tongue with no effort. Grief being my favorite band name of all time...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

Great post from Fallen about pricing your graphic work, although remember some of us are not full-blown professionals, so adjust payment expectations accordingly. Good post for professionals though. The free-or-full-price policy is generally a good idea. Either charge them as a client, or do them a favor as your bro. Or do it for the experience. But splitting the middle can be really messy.

Also, flat rates can be fine, IMO, unless you really kick ass and can work fast to justify that hourly wage. For example, I'm a graphic artist but custom logos and illustration are not my specialty. For me, a flat rate would be fine. I wouldn't want to charge a bunch of beardos an hourly rate while I figure shit out.

I think many band members reading this would balk at paying 100 dollars (and up) for a logo. Instead, download a free typeface (death metal fonts on Page 1, but there are thousands of other typefaces to choose from), print your band name out and attack it with a combination of black marker (to remove veins etc) and white-out (to add veins etc). Or do it in Photoshop (rasterize text, then go into paintbrush tool). Or do it in Illustrator and drag the vector points around/add vector points, until you've customized it. Roll your own, when possible. Self reliance is good, if you (or a friend) has the visual/design/computer skills.

Many fonts (typeface) here:
http://www.dafont.com/

or try Googling 'heavy metal font' 'grunge font' or whatever.

I'm not discouraging anybody from hiring a professional graphic artist - in many cases, it is sorely needed.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

James1214

Fallen, Lumpy,  thanks for the insightful responses. I apologize for the thread hijack, I'm having a ball drawing in general lately and the prospect of actually having some work I'm proud of being " out there " is really exciting. I draw and do art for me and it's always been that way, so the fact that some people actually like it and are willing to pay is super rad. I totally get the concept of do it for free or do it for a price good enough for me while not being cost prohibitive for the client.

Regarding my previous post, what do people think about it as a 2 color design? White and green ( or other color) on a black shirt.

Also any constructive criticism on the designs or execution thereof, that I've come up with thus far?

Also... kinda stoned, so if my sentence structure sucks .... well be it. Back to drawing whilst listening to the demo I just recorded with the band, 3 Heavy Action originals comin' at ya in week or so.

gah its been a busy 2 weeks
words

grimniggzy