Main Menu

speaker score

Started by mutantcolors, March 12, 2012, 06:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mutantcolors

Not the actual item I got but same model etc. 2 open back 1x12s that lock together like a suitcase, by Califone. Total: $12.

Now, how does a dude run 3 speakers off one amp and how do I figure the impedance? 3 8ohm 12s = ? Something equivalent to 2? Can I get them to something "normal"?

Mr. Foxen

Best off just using two.

RAGER

Cool.  I have some old Panasonic ones.  i think they're 8 inchers though.  They're just for decoration though.
No Focus Pocus

jibberish

what mr foxxen said.....

trying to put an odd number of speakers in a "multiples of 2" setup is a compromise.

any series/parallel stuff will have 2 drivers sharing and one alone=not good even though the impedance is more like 6ohms

3 8ohms in parallel is like 2.6ohms or something, and of course in series=24ohms = no good either

driver #3 = the spare. lol

mutantcolors

Gonna team them (it?) up with my Leslie 120 since the Les. sounds amazing but is real thick and naturally attenuates treble. Problem: one output on the amp. I guess I'm in the market for a male to 2xfemale splitter cable or something.

Lumpy

Did those originally come with a filmstrip projector? Be careful, they are probably low- wattage.

Maybe you should sell them to me ;)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Mr. Foxen

Probably best off rigging a high pass for them rather than a splitter, if adding top is all you need.

mutantcolors

They're destined for my 5 watt Frenzel.

Yes, they were part of some once-high tech projector turntable thingy.

So uh...high pass? I know the concept of hi/lo pass filters but I'm not sure what you're talking about in this context. I mean that I'll add one of these along side the Leslie...pretty sure that means I need a splitter or actually, it'd be a "joiner" going from 2 speakers to one output. Or whatever.

jibberish

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on March 12, 2012, 07:40:12 PM
Probably best off rigging a high pass for them rather than a splitter, if adding top is all you need.

one NON-polarized cap will do it.
consult a table for the low cutoff freq. on an 8ohm speaker to get the capacitance value set for w/e cutoff you are looking for and get a 50-ish volt cap for a little safety room(or higher doesnt matter).

also you can play around with a couple caps and move the cutoff around. remember capacitance ADDS in parallel and gets smaller in series, like the opposite of resistors, but the play around factor is the same.

if you want to start horsing around with how steep the cutoff is, it will get more complex and you start messing with so-and-so order filters. i would recommend for a first go, just use a cap witth w/e 6db /octave w/e stock rolloff

jibberish

Quote from: mutantcolors on March 12, 2012, 07:57:03 PM
They're destined for my 5 watt Frenzel.

Yes, they were part of some once-high tech projector turntable thingy.

So uh...high pass? I know the concept of hi/lo pass filters but I'm not sure what you're talking about in this context. I mean that I'll add one of these along side the Leslie...pretty sure that means I need a splitter or actually, it'd be a "joiner" going from 2 speakers to one output. Or whatever.

whoops i was typing while you typed this. 

once you have your "ghetto tweeter" crossed-over, you can hook it up parallel across the other speaker. the bass wont get through the cap, so the cap splits the bass out

also at 5w, you can use a w/e 20v cap <--probably dont go much lower than that anyway. they are all fiddy cent components anyway

Lumpy

What about selling the box/suitcase?
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

mutantcolors

You must be in the business of taking Lippy's place eh?

NO YOU CAN'T HAVE IT haha