Main Menu

I want to to talk fuzz

Started by OUTLANDAH, March 11, 2012, 10:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Shocker

grimniggzy

Yeah, i'll run her thru the ringers this weekend.
Also ended up grabbing a Devi Ever Torns Peaker.

I've been fuzzless since sometime around 2005 when I gave up my Muffs. Don't know why I had the sudden urge to grab them, probably because I'm playing guitar rather than bass more and more nowadays.

Ombrenuit

How's the Torns Peaker? I have the schematic and i've been thinking about cloning it, but I want to get a recommendation before I sink time and money into a build.

I finished a byoc Univox super fuzz clone last night. Only $75. Made it to Wattson Classic Electronics specs (only a couple resistor/cap differences). Instant Fu Manchu / Electric Wizard.

VOLVO)))

"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

grimniggzy

Quote from: Ombrenuit on March 23, 2012, 01:39:51 PM
How's the Torns Peaker? I have the schematic and i've been thinking about cloning it, but I want to get a recommendation before I sink time and money into a build.

I finished a byoc Univox super fuzz clone last night. Only $75. Made it to Wattson Classic Electronics specs (only a couple resistor/cap differences). Instant Fu Manchu / Electric Wizard.

Woah, I always wanted a Super Fuzz. Wish I could build my own pedals, been wanting to jump into it but right now I'm putting $ and time into a Telecaster build.

I'll let ya know what I think of the Torns, I should be getting it today.
I'll post up some clips if I can.

grimniggzy

The Tone Machine Clone is pretty fuggin sweet.
The Torns Peaker is kind of a one trick pony but still kinda cool.

I only tried them for guitar so far. Now I need to rework my pedalboard.
I'll try and throw up some clips if I get around to recording this weekend.

grimniggzy

My want for a Super Fuzz still hasn't gone away.

I don't want to spend the loot for an original or even the Wattson.
I'd try and build a byoc if I had the time to put into it.

OUTLANDAH

The superfuzz is an essential fuzz to anyone pedal. Regardless, if it's the original or a clone. They seem to have gone up about $100 since the last time I browsed ( old sr.com days). Seriously, $550?!!!?!?!?

VOLVO)))

I got me one o dem guyatone mini fuzzes from Ol Deaner, i dig that thing. Super-fuzz as fux.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

bitter

I like those little ladybug, pudding cup looking enclosures.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Lumpy

Those Guyatone TZ-2 "the fuzz" they are nice, nasty fuzzes. I like the superfuzz clones because I like a lot of gravelly texture. "Smooth" fuzz is mostly 'meh' for me.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

grimniggzy

I'm really starting to think about spending all that cash on a Wattson but at that point I want a blue and orange enclosure.
Yo, can I getta sweet looking clone. What do Riffer's customs cost. Or should I go to the Fu Manchu guy?

VOLVO)))

Quote from: grimniggzy on March 28, 2012, 11:03:09 PM
I'm really starting to think about spending all that cash on a Wattson but at that point I want a blue and orange enclosure.
Yo, can I getta sweet looking clone. What do Riffer's customs cost. Or should I go to the Fu Manchu guy?

Hey, fuck you! Let me build the BYOC one, and find/fashion a funky enclosure... EH EH?

EDIT: Seriously, don't buy that overpriced shit.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

grimniggzy

VOLVO)))

Just dont blow your money on something for a similar cosmetic appearance. That always makes me sad.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

grimniggzy

yeah, I know. they do sound good but I'm sure another clone could cop the sound just as well.

VOLVO)))

Hell, you could probably talk Nick into building the shit out of one... that goofy bastard could do it for less than the wattson and it'd probably more true to the Shin Ei than the Univox...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

grimniggzy

That's exactly why I threw it out here. Not tryna spend no $200 on a lil metal box.

dunwichamps

for custom shit where I have to make the PCBs for the pedal I charge 150 + ship, if the boards already exist and can be bought cheaply then 75-125 depending upon the pedal

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 29, 2012, 09:28:05 AM
Hell, you could probably talk Nick into building the shit out of one... that goofy bastard could do it for less than the wattson and it'd probably more true to the Shin Ei than the Univox...

who you calling goofy!

VOLVO)))

You, goofy. Make the eyelet board yourself!

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

Quote from: SunnO))) on March 29, 2012, 10:47:52 AM
You, goofy. Make the eyelet board yourself!

that superfuzz circuit is large, 5 transistors. If i do a turret board then im going to charge the labor for a handwired unit.

grimniggzy

Quote from: dunwichamps on March 29, 2012, 10:40:04 AM
for custom shit where I have to make the PCBs for the pedal I charge 150 + ship, if the boards already exist and can be bought cheaply then 75-125 depending upon the pedal

still cheaper than a wattson. and i could get my colours.

dunwichamps

Quote from: grimniggzy on March 29, 2012, 11:06:14 AM
Quote from: dunwichamps on March 29, 2012, 10:40:04 AM

still cheaper than a wattson. and i could get my colours.

plus I can do whatever mods you want, including that clean boost Wattson has on their version

if 2 other people will buy a 2 more boards I can lower the board cost and other can build their own version.

I am a smidge busy right now fuck ton of projects but its possible in a lil while.

If board cost is lowered I could get you at $100

grimniggzy

Yeah, that is definitely another plus. I probably need it to be usable for bass & guitar also.