New drummer, old material (blatant self-promotion)

Started by Pundan, February 26, 2012, 11:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pundan

Hi all. We finally decided to kick our drummer (if you remember my old thread). New drummer works with music production, builds his own instruments and so forth. Only downside is that he lives 2 hours away from us so we can't meet as often as we like. Turns out this guy owns a lot of studio equipment, like really a lot! He has this big Alesis X2 table and a big cabinet filled with EQ, compressors and so forth. He even has these old analog tape recorders so we can record on 1/4 tape!

We decided to record one of the band's older songs and the recording turned out pretty good. I realized I have never posted my own material on this forum before and I really want your opinion on the sound. Our newer songs turn out heavier than this one, and bear in mind that it's the second time the drummer hears the song.

Song turns heavy at about 3:15

Forgot to mention but the song's not supposed to be instrumental, we just never recorded vocals.

[cloudset]http://soundcloud.com/pundan/shelter-2012-02-25[/cloudset]

mortlock

bitter

cool that you have access to the 1/4 tape option. I dig it too, post some more when you can.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Pundan

Thanks guys, it's a pretty rough recording, although Jonas (our new drummer) mastered it so it sounds pretty ;) We recorded this one on tape after all the mastering was done just for the sake of it, plus he has a lot of tape lying around. Song was recorded and mastered in ProTools.

I'll make sure to post more stuff in the future, thanks for your opinions thus far I'd like to hear more since I feel like I need to step up my song writing now that we have a more experienced partner in the band. :)

gatorsnot

Congrats on the new drummer.

The song is pretty good but I felt like I would be hearing some Yob vocals kick in, especially in the last section.

Pundan

Quote from: gatorsnot on February 27, 2012, 12:23:01 AM
Congrats on the new drummer.

The song is pretty good but I felt like I would be hearing some Yob vocals kick in, especially in the last section.
Oh fuck I just realized I haven't mentioned that the song usually isn't instrumental. We just never recorded them. :-[

cat shepard

Seems like this is going to work out. Gotta be a great feeling. I wouldn't sweat the 2 hr commute as it doesn't sound like the drummer needs to be in the practice space collectively for long stretches of time, seems experienced in grasping a vibe and translating it with maximum efficiency. Not to mention the gear and experience with it brought to the table. Good stuff! Look forward to hearing more.