Players that make you want to play a different instrument

Started by lordfinesse, January 11, 2011, 12:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordfinesse

You ever hear someone playing an instrument other than whatever you primarily play, and it's just so damned good and inspiring, it speaks to you in a way that makes you think "shit.. maybe I should get into that.."?  I've been listening to the Hendrix West Coast Seattle Boy box a lot lately. The last song on disc 3 is Foxey Lady, from the New Year's Eve Fillmore East shows, and Buddy Miles is just ripping the drums so fucking good... he makes me want to be a drummer. He makes me want to be that drummer. Don't get me wrong, Hendrix is great here too. I've played guitar for 20 years or so, never been so good at drums nor had much interest. I've seen Clutch more times than I can count, and I'm down with all the JP worship. He's the man. But, damn. For my taste, Buddy Miles just seemed to be able to attain a higher level of being "on fire" than anyone else I think I've ever heard. I listen to him play, and I'm thinking "..shit, man!... Get it!... Shit, son!!.. Damn!.." and other nonsensical terms. Anyway, for those of you who do the torrent thing, find this track. Or get it from iTunes. If I knew how to post it, I would.
Billy Squier 24/7

El Zombre

Early Black Sabbath. You know those breakdowns where Tony Iommi is on lead guitar in both channels. And then Geezer Butler is playing his own independent lines. And Bill Ward has his own story to tell as well. Yup, I play guitar, but listening to those jams make me want to play everything. And be Black Sabbath, basically.

VOLVO)))

Jesu, Godflesh... his handle on electronic music and shit makes me wish I could make/produce certain electronic elements into doom and whatnot...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

"You ever hear someone playing an instrument other than whatever you primarily play, and it's just so damned good and inspiring, it speaks to you in a way that makes you think "shit.. maybe I should get into that.."? "

yesiree. Ive spent the last five years doing exactly that simply because one day I listened to Ben Keith playing pedal steel on Neil Youngs song "albequerque" and knew I had to make those sounds. Its been one of the best moves Ive ever made.
GO FOR IT, whatever the 'it' may be...go for it.

spookstrickland

Ginger Baker makes me want to play the drums so bad!  I did pick up the bass because of Jack Bruce though.  Brad Davis makes me want to play the bass too!
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

eyeprod

Quote from: lordfinesse on January 11, 2011, 12:18:19 PM
You ever hear someone playing an instrument other than whatever you primarily play, and it's just so damned good and inspiring, it speaks to you in a way that makes you think "shit.. maybe I should get into that.."?  I've been listening to the Hendrix West Coast Seattle Boy box a lot lately. The last song on disc 3 is Foxey Lady, from the New Year's Eve Fillmore East shows, and Buddy Miles is just ripping the drums so fucking good... he makes me want to be a drummer. He makes me want to be that drummer. Don't get me wrong, Hendrix is great here too. I've played guitar for 20 years or so, never been so good at drums nor had much interest. I've seen Clutch more times than I can count, and I'm down with all the JP worship. He's the man. But, damn. For my taste, Buddy Miles just seemed to be able to attain a higher level of being "on fire" than anyone else I think I've ever heard. I listen to him play, and I'm thinking "..shit, man!... Get it!... Shit, son!!.. Damn!.." and other nonsensical terms. Anyway, for those of you who do the torrent thing, find this track. Or get it from iTunes. If I knew how to post it, I would.

Ha, this reminds me of what I heard Mitch Mitchell remark about Buddy Miles. He called him a cement mixer! in reference to his drumming style, of course. I think it's funny, but I like a caveman type of drummer myself.

Anyway, yeah I always want to be soloing like Wino, but never take time to practice. I especially love his fast stuff, but haven't quite figured it out yet
CV - Slender Fungus

EddieMullet

I've always wanted to be able to rock the Hammond like Jon Lord did. 

Instant Dan

Chuck Biscuits made me want to play the drums but alas my parents wouldn't buy me a drum set.

hayseed

Quote from: EddieMullet on January 11, 2011, 09:05:44 PM
I've always wanted to be able to rock the Hammond like Jon Lord did. 

I second that! ^^^ Those organ parts in the Deep Purple stuff are so awesome. I have always loved when Clutch used an organ player when i have gone to see them, it just fills out the sound SO much. But Jon Lord is the Lord of the Hammond, no doubt.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

Hemisaurus

Eddie Van Halen

I wish he'd give up guitar and play the fucking kazoo ;D

neighbor664