Peavey Classic 30 speaker question

Started by hashbrowns, February 01, 2012, 08:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hashbrowns

I found a peavey classic 30 with a celestion greenback installed in it on the CL. I was thinking that setup would probably rock it out but I think greenbacks are only rated for 25 watts. Any of you guys know if I would just blow this speaker? I like to crank my amps to get crispy power distortion then run a fuzz into for true resiny goodness.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

hashbrowns

I don't know if this was a stupid question but does anyone know? I've got no experience with greenbacks so I don't know how much they can take before blowing out. The speaker looks to be fine and he says he's used it for a while but he might have just been playing in his bedroom quietly and I like to crank my amps up to ten.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

justinhedrick

Quote from: hashbrowns on February 02, 2012, 05:23:10 PM
I don't know if this was a stupid question but does anyone know? I've got no experience with greenbacks so I don't know how much they can take before blowing out. The speaker looks to be fine and he says he's used it for a while but he might have just been playing in his bedroom quietly and I like to crank my amps up to ten.

they make green backs in different wattages. do you know how many watts it is?

bitter

***I don't know much about greenbacks so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.***

I don't think it's a bad choice for the classic 30 or similar amp setups, but if you're just gonna dime the amp I would swap it out. Aren't the greenbacks meant to have a fairly quick breakup, hence the lower wattage rating? Either way, I would look for some of the ~50watt greenback variants/clones or another speaker type. 
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

hashbrowns

Quote from: justinhedrick on February 02, 2012, 06:40:48 PM
they make green backs in different wattages. do you know how many watts it is?

It's the 25 that's why I'm concerned. Basically it's two questions here. Do you any of you guys have any idea how much a greenback can stand without popping? The other is if you guys know whether a classic 30 is gonna push more than 30 watts when it's really cooking. I've heard that tube amps that are dimed and getting crispy can push out more than their ratings would lead you to believe. The seller is offering to sell it cheaper with the original stock speaker in it and that'll be able to stand the wattage but I'd like to try a greenback for myself if it can withstand the amp dimed and fuzzed.