Main Menu

Band mother...

Started by VOLVO))), January 24, 2012, 12:15:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

Quote from: mortlock on January 24, 2012, 12:26:54 PM
remember..you jam with the guys you have, not the guys you wish you had.. 

I'm going to get this tattooed on the inside of my eyelids.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

hayseed

Oh man this whole scenario sounds SO goddamn familiar its scary!
I too am a "band Mother" or should i say "was". In my last band , I dealt with guys that loved the idea of being in a band and were fairly decent players but either had no equipment or very poor equipment ,never put any work into the band aside from band practice, and barely made it to gigs me giving them rides and taking care of the gear pre and post gig! They were also the first to bitch when gigs were in low attendance, songs were written or covered that they didn't like, or any step was made to further the group. I had the practice spot, PA, Bass gear, extra amps/guitars, recording gear, truck to haul equipment, beer, etc. and getting any contribution to the cause was impossible. It actually burnt me out and made me not want to play in band, which merited a 2 year hiatus and a new attitude.

ThOse kind of  people are DEAD WEIGHT! Cut them loose! It will ease your burden and make playing music fun again! In my current band situation, we don't practice at my house so i  don't have to "organize" the times and get everybody there. +. I provide MY gear for ME(and i downsized my rig for easy travel to and from practice...save the big shit for the gigs) and contributed some mics and stands for the PA, +. I buy a 6 pack for me or chip on a case when i get there, +. I still write most of the tunes but the guys i play with now are EAGER to play and LOVE what we are doing. We even agree on cover tune selection without a 3 hour discussion of "what tune would be better", +. THIS band is on the same page...finally. We may have some singer issues down the road but the 3 "musicians" in the band can handle whatever vocal duties are required. Having a  vocalist just frees us up to do what we want on our respective instruments a little more. I also am not 100% responsible for booking the gigs, its now a shared duty, +++++!

Bottom line, fuck being a band Mother. That sucks! Everybody needs to do their job and what their job requires of them in band or get out! I have always said that if you have everybody on the same page and working towards a common goal in a band, amazing things can happen with a lot less effort!
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

justinhedrick

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 24, 2012, 03:24:44 PM
I... need to do something. Im gonna holler at some old friends and see if they wanna jam.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

do it. if not, since you play all the instruments, why not just record all your own shit? if i could play drums i would, but stoner rock just doesn't sound right with programmed beats.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Instant Dan on January 24, 2012, 02:10:44 PM
I think it's best you pack up all the stuff into your RV and hit the dusty trail. Raleigh? Atlanta? Savannah? Mobile?
Do the Joe Buck thing, he and his wife do the RV 9 months out of 12 or so, and then he has his cabin for the other 3, last I heard he was either $200 or $400 a gig.

lordfinesse

Yeah Joe Buck is awesome.

SunnO))) and Jake, you guys would be welcome to join Husky. It would get us closer to the Skynyrd-esque 3 guitar attack that I've had in mind all along.
Billy Squier 24/7

Instant Dan

Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 24, 2012, 04:04:34 PM
Quote from: Instant Dan on January 24, 2012, 02:10:44 PM
I think it's best you pack up all the stuff into your RV and hit the dusty trail. Raleigh? Atlanta? Savannah? Mobile?
Do the Joe Buck thing, he and his wife do the RV 9 months out of 12 or so, and then he has his cabin for the other 3, last I heard he was either $200 or $400 a gig.

I believe Jucifer does the same.

chille01

Sounds familiar, but way worse:
http://stonerrocklives.com/forum/index.php?topic=3865.0

For the record though, things have gotten a lot better since that thread. I don't really have much to bitch about anymore. We had a band meeting, I told them to put up or shut up, and they did. Your results may vary.

Ranbat

Find a drummer and do the two piece thing. Or fuck it and find a guy to run beats on a drum machine. There are no rules to forming a band. Maybe you're the guy to come up with the next thing because you HAVE to find a way to do it differently. Unless you're forming some garage rock band that's more about drinking than playing, you shouldn't be supplying all the gear. I've loaned an amp when one is down or bought a band mate sticks or strings when they're flat broke. I have even supplied the PA and practice space. But I have never, and will never supply a band mate with their instrument. If playing doesn't mean enough to them to own an instrument, the band isn't going to mean anything either.
Meh :/

cat shepard

one of the main reasons i come here is because i want to play drums in a band that's like riff rock kinda . I gotta get some drums.

Pundan

You and me sound pretty alike. We want this so much we try to create all the circumstances that aren't there but should be. I've bought my drummer loads of drum sticks (certainly 10 pairs or so) which I haven't asked money back for. I bought 50% of the PA (bass player bought the other 50%) and then I've replaced two speakers, bought a laptop to record on and an external soundcard and mics. All together it was about $1500.

I know you like owning all that stuff, but it sounds like you're the only reason this band exists, do you want to be the only one pushing that forward? May sound a little bit harsh, but I see no reason why you shouldn't find some decent dudes to jam with that can bring their own equipment (based on a lot of your vids).

Instant Dan

I'll repeat what everyone else said, I can understand having crappy gear but the talent but these guys just sound like they're dragging you down.

Harm

Eventually it all boils down to this: why in the hell do you want to play music with parasites? I can't believe that there isn't a serious musician in your surroundings who won't form a band with you. Have you put up an ad or searched music banks in your environment?
More faithfulfew right here.

cat shepard

maybe those losers have some added vibe and attitude, just sayin, sometimes that stuff goes along way doesn't it? hey don't look at me I've got a guitar.

chlorpromazine

...cut 'em the fuck loose

Seriously. If you can't get anything going without having some deadass motherfuckers freeload off of you (like these dudes are doing), you need to find a different place. I guess I have to echo the people telling you to move. I've never been in the position of providing everything, but I've played in my share of bands where folks aren't pulling their share of the weight for any number of reasons. It ain't worth it.

If you're going to stay put, you would be better served using your resources to build a scene where you are or get involved somewhere close to you where the scene exists. Find where people are playing music that you like, get involved however you can, and you'll eventually find musicians that want to do something similar to what you like. There's a lot that you can do in the area between musician and listener that will help you network with like-minded people.

tossom

Quote from: Harm on January 26, 2012, 09:22:01 AM
I can't believe that there isn't a serious musician in your surroundings who won't form a band with you.

Believe me, this is a constant problem.  I have given up on playing again.  Would rather not play at all than do indie or folk music, which in Scotland is pretty much your only options.

"Beige rock"

justinhedrick

Quote from: tossom on January 26, 2012, 02:05:26 PM
I can't believe that there isn't a serious musician in your surroundings who won't form a band with you.

Believe me, this is a constant problem.  I have given up on playing again.  Would rather not play at all than do indie or folk music, which in Scotland is pretty much your only options.

get a drum machine. rawk.

tossom

Quote from: justinhedrick on January 26, 2012, 02:52:09 PM

get a drum machine. rawk.

I'd need to get a bass machine too, such is the level of suck where I live now...
"Beige rock"

grimniggzy

don't need no bassist stinking bassist. split your signal and run this through another amp.

tossom

Haha!  I own one...  Now back to SunnO)))
"Beige rock"

VOLVO)))

Fuck that pedal, if you want legit godly sounding bass, nab a POG and turn the sub up, dry down. Plays all your chords with you and whatnot.

I told them earlier today that they'd have to start helping. Mainly because I'm depressed at the state of my equipment in their wake, and in general. I blew my final 4x12 today, so I have to pick up a new cab, etc etc.

They seemed receptive, but probably only because they sensed that I was going to snap them in half if they weren't...
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Pundan

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 26, 2012, 09:36:13 PM
Fuck that pedal, if you want legit godly sounding bass, nab a POG and turn the sub up, dry down. Plays all your chords with you and whatnot.

I told them earlier today that they'd have to start helping. Mainly because I'm depressed at the state of my equipment in their wake, and in general. I blew my final 4x12 today, so I have to pick up a new cab, etc etc.

They seemed receptive, but probably only because they sensed that I was going to snap them in half if they weren't...
Or it could be that they've beginning to come to terms with their own Assholeness. :)

grimniggzy

Sorry to hear about your 4x12, that sucks.

Harm

That sucks indeed, how about moving?  ;D
More faithfulfew right here.

Danny G

Fuck those guys. Find people on the same level as you ASAP.

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Danny G

The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com