Least amount of songs to call it an Album instead of an EP

Started by Ranbat, January 14, 2012, 09:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranbat

Meh :/

mortlock

it can only really only be done in minutes if you think about it..

grimniggzy

I say it really depends. Even if the songs are really short and you have at least 7-8 I'd call it an LP. If you have just one that's really long (say a 1/2 hr.) I'd call that one as well. If it was something I was putting out I wouldn't call it an LP unless it was at least close to 30 mins. There are more than a few records I'd like a whole lot better if they were scaled down to EP's.

Lumpy

Back in the day, LPs were a lot shorter. You can only fit something like 22 minutes per side of vinyl before you start degrading the sound quality. Look up the total duration of some of your favorite pre-CD albums, you might be surprised at how short they are.

Here's a good one: "Young Loud & Snotty" the first album by the Dead Boys is something like 28 minutes long... total.

I usually don't want to hear an entire hour's worth of music from one artist. Just because a CD 'can' hold 72 minutes (or whatever) doesn't mean you're obligated to fill it up. Less can be more.

How's this: If it's under 30 minutes, it's an EP. If it's over 30 minutes, it's an album. :P
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Ranbat

I kind of think if it's only 3 or 4 songs clocking in under 30 minutes, it's an EP. But, if 3 or 4 songs clock over an hour, it's an album. 5 or more songs to me is an album, but there is really know set standard that can be come up with it seems.
Meh :/

Lumpy

I agree, the number of songs does factor into it, too. 22 songs is an album, even if its 25 minutes. But total length is probably more important than number of different songs.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Jokercat74

This is a real good question. Besides length and number of songs, you can also look at an EP as either an artists work in progress, or "this is all we could afford to record". There are those who look at EP's as a promotional tool. Some artists use the term "EP" on a release that showcases a different side of their music (overall length and number of songs ignored).
So looking at these views, as long as it was released as a whole, any release could be considered an EP. Even if it is multiple discs.

cat shepard

Minutes I think. Once saw a recording contract that stipulated 26 minutes minimum for the lp.

Ayek

It's definately minutes, or more specifically what size vinyl it fits on. A single fits on a 7" (with a b-side), an EP (extended play) fits on a 10" and over and above that is an LP (long play). Sure times have changed, but that's where the terms originated

mortlock