Will Peavey ever be the new Sunn?

Started by justinhedrick, January 12, 2012, 05:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelZodiac

I find mainland Europe to be very disappointing in terms of gear. You really need to search to get good gear but it happens. A buddy of mine picked up a '72 Fender bass amp (not a Bassman, the one that looks like an old radio), tubes replaced last year and the 4*10 cab that went it with for 1000 euros. So you can do good deals but you really have to search for it. I mean that's a hot deal. And then in terms of different countries, you have to search a lot of sites to get something decent. I mean I check Belgian & Dutch websites pretty regularly but the beauties are most of the time found in the UK and often they don't ship across the Channel.

If anyone knows decent UK & German websites for secondhand gear, let me know!

Moose, there was a brand named Nolan? My band is called that but based on a totally different meaning.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

mawso

MichaelZodiac

Quote from: moose23 on January 13, 2012, 10:10:38 AM
Yeah quite a small company.  Few here:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=nolan+amps&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=O0kQT_--CcqphAfLvMWqAg&biw=1280&bih=681&sei=P0kQT6XLG4LOhAezp72wAg

What's your band name meaning? It's a fairly common surname in Ireland.
It's a reference to Giordano Bruno, the last philosopher to be burned alive by the Church for what he believed in. He called himself "the Nolan philosopher" since he was from a small village on the slopes of Monte di Nola near Naples. He believed that the universe was infinite 80 years prior to Galilei. We're a bunch of stoners/philosophy students so it made sense to us.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

FullCustom

justinhedrick

i just picked Peavey because they have amps that are both solid state and tube that are respected.

grimniggzy

Quote from: justinhedrick on January 13, 2012, 10:39:43 AM
i just picked Peavey because they have amps that are both solid state and tube that are respected.

I'd say they are the closest American made amp to come after Sunn as far as their 80's stuff is concerned. Just don't think they'll become all the rage because they are still producing and some people still scoff at the name.

Mr. Foxen

I have a Nolan amp I should sell. I think it was a Hiwatt copy. Partridge trannies. 100w

If you stop looking for American brand names that the internet shouts about and start looking for quality amps, then decent gear is much easier to find in Europe. Fender and Ampeg are seriously poorly constructed compared to some of the small manufacturer stuff. I'd have bunches of Euro amps if I didn't drop all my money on British ones.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on January 13, 2012, 11:05:17 AM
If you stop looking for American brand names that the internet shouts about and start looking for quality amps, then decent gear is much easier to find in Europe. Fender and Ampeg are seriously poorly constructed compared to some of the small manufacturer stuff.
Like he says, be a leader, not a follower ;)

Mr. Foxen

+ weird amps come with a free cool hip trendy band name.

Hemisaurus

Alamo? Douglas? Stancor?

I think only some come with a cool name, I don't know if I'd go see a band called Douglas ;D

SpaceTrucker

Idk alamo ain't too bad. In a mexican killing last stand kinda vibe.

Mr. Foxen

Bet it sounds rubbish through the Marshall compared to decent cabs.

Stancor is close enough to Stanosaur that Stan should sell his Model Ts and get some. That way some other people have a chance at some Model Ts.

Plus the bar for ripping cool names from amps is set by Sunn, which isn't very high.

My obscure amps: STAK, Faylon, Vampower. Don't sound like doom bands, except STAK maybe.

VOLVO)))

I own one of Stan's red knobs, he sold one to my homie Tony from Black fucking Cancer, Tony got hard up and sold me his T for cost. raddd.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Widget

My first ever guitar amp

A piece of shit.

The day this becomes the cool thing played by robe-wearing hipsters is the day I switch to the ukelele.

mawso

I could see Ceriatones becoming very sought after when the time comes that Nik is too old/sick/dead to build amps

They are very well made and they sound fantastic

Mr. Foxen

Quote from: Widget on January 13, 2012, 09:41:26 PM
My first ever guitar amp

A piece of shit.

The day this becomes the cool thing played by robe-wearing hipsters is the day I switch to the ukelele.

Had a go with one of those and bass, into a Peavey 2x15, could get some fairly cool horrible filth, dunno if musically useful, but cool horrible filth is my favoured alternative to musicality.

spookstrickland

Quote from: Widget on January 13, 2012, 09:41:26 PM
My first ever guitar amp

A piece of shit.

I'd rock the Fuck out of that!
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

moose23

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on January 13, 2012, 10:25:17 AM
Quote from: moose23 on January 13, 2012, 10:10:38 AM
Yeah quite a small company.  Few here:

http://www.google.ie/search?q=nolan+amps&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=O0kQT_--CcqphAfLvMWqAg&biw=1280&bih=681&sei=P0kQT6XLG4LOhAezp72wAg

What's your band name meaning? It's a fairly common surname in Ireland.
It's a reference to Giordano Bruno, the last philosopher to be burned alive by the Church for what he believed in. He called himself "the Nolan philosopher" since he was from a small village on the slopes of Monte di Nola near Naples. He believed that the universe was infinite 80 years prior to Galilei. We're a bunch of stoners/philosophy students so it made sense to us.

Cool must have a read about him.