Will Peavey ever be the new Sunn?

Started by justinhedrick, January 12, 2012, 05:50:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

justinhedrick

i don't think so because there are so many of them. but what will be? Sovtek? something newer?

Mr. Foxen

Sound City. Msotly because of Electric Wizard, but gimme some robes and gigs and I'll rename my band Sound City and rock all these at once:

spookstrickland

They already are.  Prices are getting crazy for old peavey stuff.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

zachoff

Nothing, probably... Quality, inexpensive, and USA made don't really go together these days like they did in the 70s and 80s.

zachoff

I misread the title.  Peavey, Yamaha, Traynor/Yorkville...

What kind of crazy prices are you seeing for old Peavey stuff?  I'm still seeing $100-$150 for the old SS bass heads and cabs and even the classic series guitar combos are still pretty inexpensive when you put them up against the Fenders and Mesas of the world.  Even the T-40s and T-60s are pretty inexpensive.

Baltar

Not a good comparison.  I paid $450 for my SUNN Sceptre half-stack in '01, sold it for $1000 in 2010.  It was a point-to-point amp though, has Peavey ever made a p2p amp?  Sunn used to be more expensive than Marshalls brand new at one point.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

clockwork green

Quote from: spookstrickland on January 12, 2012, 06:27:58 PM
They already are.  Prices are getting crazy for old peavey stuff.
Which old Peavey stuff? I can't imagine any of their old amps ever sniffing a grand and most are still under or around $500.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Mr. Foxen

People are starting to get a bit excited about the valve stuff. The Mk1 block logo 5150 are heading towards a grand. I'm asking £700 for my script one, I'm in no rush to sell and the same people are sending me shitty lowball offers, so there aren't enough on the market that they've bought one already.

Hemisaurus

and that will make Bugera the new Sound City, see previous thread ;)

Lumpy

Peavey diluted their brand with too many entry-level products, so Peavey will probably never have the same brand appeal that Sunn has. Also, different eras. The 80s are maybe too recent still. And Sunn probably would have released a bunch of entry level solid state amps if they were an 80s company.

If you're asking if there are any killer discontinued amps from Peavey which are sleepers, which might be worth more in the future, maybe the Classic 400 bass head. Designed to compete with amps like the Ampeg SVT, 400 watts, can be bought for approx. 700 dollars (more or less) which is about half the price of a vintage SVT (more or less). I dunno if the prices will ever get real high though, because bass players are generally drifting towards lighter amps (and the Classic 400 weighs 95 pounds).

http://www.hartsafire.com/classic400/

Lots of stuff online about this amp.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

grimniggzy

They made a bunch of awesome stuff over a pretty long period of time. I just don't think it'll achieve the status of Sunn.

fallen

Maybe Music Man could gain some status but they made so many combos and so few heads that I don't know if that will ever happen.

Solid state pre and tube power amp should be good for pedals and getting overdrive from the power tubes.

Still wouldn't mind a MM 130-HD.

Jake

poop.

clockwork green

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on January 12, 2012, 07:18:37 PM
People are starting to get a bit excited about the valve stuff. The Mk1 block logo 5150 are heading towards a grand. I'm asking £700 for my script one, I'm in no rush to sell and the same people are sending me shitty lowball offers, so there aren't enough on the market that they've bought one already.
You Euro's don't count...Mesa's cost more than Mercedes over there.

rayinreverse

I saw a Peavey Mark IV bass head in a pawn shop today for 139.

Pundan

Quote from: clockwork green on January 12, 2012, 10:26:12 PM
Quote from: Mr. Foxen on January 12, 2012, 07:18:37 PM
You Euro's don't count...Mesa's cost more than Mercedes over there.
£1000 = ~$1530

clockwork green

I'm well aware of the exchange rate. Europe is just a whole other market. Sunn's are what they are today because of the American market...Mesa's are nearly $3-grand new over there. Even retardedly mythical block EVH's are $600-700 here...everything else is much less.

VOLVO)))

Nah, but I think Sound City is already there.

Peavey is a bad word to some people. I <3 most peavey products, though.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

spookstrickland

Quote from: zachoff on January 12, 2012, 06:48:58 PM

What kind of crazy prices are you seeing for old Peavey stuff?  I'm still seeing $100-$150 for the old SS bass heads and cabs and even the classic series guitar combos are still pretty inexpensive when you put them up against the Fenders and Mesas of the world.  Even the T-40s and T-60s are pretty inexpensive.

I've been looking at t40 basses on ebay and they are no longer the 150 dollar bargain price now closer to 450!  Peavey Floor monitors are getting pricey too.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

zachoff

Quote from: spookstrickland on January 13, 2012, 12:08:27 AM
Quote from: zachoff on January 12, 2012, 06:48:58 PM

I've been looking at t40 basses on ebay and they are no longer the 150 dollar bargain price now closer to 450!  Peavey Floor monitors are getting pricey too.

I didn't say T-40s and T-60s were going for $150.  I said the old solid state heads and old cabs were.  I sold my T-40 for $350 about 4 months ago and considering what you get for the money they're a super bargain at that price.  That was my gigging bass for a while and recorded well too.  People list T-40s on eBay for $450 but they never get sold and if they do then someone is getting ripped off or is too impatient to wait for one they can get locally for $100-$150 less.

zachoff

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 13, 2012, 12:00:27 AM
Nah, but I think Sound City is already there.

Peavey is a bad word to some people. I <3 most peavey products, though.

Sound City is super hard to come by.  I'm not sure I've ever seen anything Sound City in the Denver c/l but see Sunn stuff all the time.  Maybe it's a market thing & the farther West you go the less you see it?

Peavey is pretty rad though...  The USA stuff, anyway.  I will say their current lineup of basses kinda sucks.  The only one worth a shit is the Cirrus & with its active pre and coffee tableness it's not something I'd really want, anyway

bitter

You know this may sound a little ignorant, but I'm always surprised about the gear issues in Europe. Sometimes it seems harder for you guys to get shit than the Aussies...  USA and the UK all have large/well known amp companies (Even if manufactured in Asia nowadays), but Sweden has no recognizable amp companies ??? I find that odd as they output tons of music (rivaling the US and UK), where grade-schoolers join pee-wee death metal acts. Just seems weird to me given those aspects. You'd expect more gear available from the last few decades that would be on par with with the amps mentioned above.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Mr. Foxen

Bah, I still don't work in Euros, that is £, pounds sterling. I ship amps to Europe fairly regularly an its always a ballache with people not coping with the difference, especially when the exchange rate is close.

Pretty sure Sound City here are equivalent to Sunn in the US. Basically good amps, good parts, cheap mass produced assembly methods. People here get all excited about having a Sunn because the internet says they are good, but then they blow up and the spares are a ballache, because there is fuck all of them about. Up until a few years ago, no-one gave a shit about Sound city, they were cheap, and generally noisy due to never being serviced (hard to full on break, they just slowly degrade), then Electric Wizard happened and everyone got excited, like some band who's name I forget, and Sunn.

There were good amps made in Europe, its just the forums where everyone jacks off over them aren't in English, so no internet visibility. They don't have loads of US and UK amps about for same reason the UK doesn't, because they had fine amps of their own so no point importing them. figuring what those amps are is tough, and I'm sill trying to do that because I know there are bargains to be had. Possibly another issue is that some European countries don't really do second hand. Broken stuff just gets binned, Germany is a bit like that, a made cruises round pulling bikes out of skips whilst tattooing people, 6 months in Germany tattooing, and 6 months in the UK making custom bikes from a vanload of recovered ones.

Apparently Britain invented being really loud and exported it to the States (basically, The Who), so you have plenty of big Brit amps, and Sunn and Ampeg were the only US people making big things for a bit.

Volume

Quote from: bitter on January 13, 2012, 01:12:17 AM
You know this may sound a little ignorant, but I'm always surprised about the gear issues in Europe. Sometimes it seems harder for you guys to get shit than the Aussies...  USA and the UK all have large/well known amp companies (Even if manufactured in Asia nowadays), but Sweden has no recognizable amp companies ??? I find that odd as they output tons of music (rivaling the US and UK), where grade-schoolers join pee-wee death metal acts. Just seems weird to me given those aspects. You'd expect more gear available from the last few decades that would be on par with with the amps mentioned above.

It's not that there isn't gear to be had, it's just that it's insanely expensive compared to the US. I guess the market was a lot smaller in the 60's and 70's so there wasn't that much import, so there's less vintage gear around now. It also seems that there was virtually no import of Ampeg and Sunn that's why a vintage V4 can be close to 2000$ here. There were also a lot of national brands that aren't well known outside the country they were made in (Hagström, Monster, Eko, Impact, Carlsboro to name a few vintage amps that come up regularly around here). They can be very cool or complete rubbish.

moose23

We've a pretty bad selection/small market of gear here in Ireland yet I know a bunch of people who bought Fender Twins, VOX AC30s, Sound City 120s, loads of Peavey stuff all for around 200-300 euro, Peavy stuff like Mark IV, V and VI eads for 100-150. There's also a few old Nolan amps going very cheap (they're basically hiwatt/marshall/fender bassman clones). I picked up a Peavey Mace VT combo and a Butcher for 500 for the two of them about four months ago so plenty of cheap stuff around if you look a bit harder and are patient.

Trace Elliot are another UK brand that make good stuff. and of course you can buy Matamp gear in this part of the world for a lot cheaper than it is in the states. Still I wish we seen more solid state Sunn stuff around like the Concert and Bet series stuff.