Main Menu

Gear you won't buy/use...

Started by zachoff, January 04, 2012, 07:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hashbrowns

Oh and I LOVE pointy guitars. I've dropped my korean LTD Flying V down a flight of stairs, picked it up played a G chord and the damn thing was still in tune. I like pointy guitars better than some overpriced pile of shit from the fender or gibson. Don't get me wrong I love all fender and gibson guitars but whether an axe is marketed to metal guys or not has absolutely no bearing on how it sounds or plays. I've played pointy jacksons that are better for blues than a strat no joke.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

The Shocker

Quote from: BrianDamage on January 04, 2012, 11:24:53 PM
I have a revv'ed up Jay Turser tele that I don't play.... Got anything you would trade for it?

Reissue Fender Blender?

VOLVO)))

I love pointy guitars, too. Hell 7 out of the 12 or so that I own are pointy...

Two Westone Dimension IV's, 2 Mockingbirds, a Jackson Kelly, a BC Rich Widow, and an ripoff Charvel Star... Then a Jackson Dinky.

Peavey T-60
My Tele, and Strat
Guild S100.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

The Shocker

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 05, 2012, 12:21:50 PM

Two Westone Dimension IV's, 2 Mockingbirds, a Jackson Kelly, a BC Rich Widow, and an ripoff Charvel Star... Then a Jackson Dinky.

Peavey T-60
My Tele, and Strat
Guild S100.

Peavey T-60  :)

Used to have a T-15, miss it.

Chovie D

Quote from: deaner33 on January 05, 2012, 12:12:05 PM
I have a revv'ed up Jay Turser tele that I don't play.... Got anything you would trade for it?

Reissue Fender Blender?

already? you didnt like it? and if not, why not?

curious about the reissue is why i ask.

The Shocker

Quote from: Chovie D on January 05, 2012, 01:21:02 PM
Quote from: deaner33 on January 05, 2012, 12:12:05 PM

Reissue Fender Blender?

already? you didnt like it? and if not, why not?

curious about the reissue is why i ask.

It's a nice pedal and sounds good, but lost out to my reissue Foxx Tone Machine, which is the best sounding fuzz I've heard in person.

Edit:  a little more detail.  The Blender is chaotic/aggressive while the Tone Machine is full/smooth (for a fuzz). That's without the octave switch on.  With the octave switch it gets pretty crazy so it's like 2 pedals in one.

inductorguitars

Quote from: inductorguitars on January 04, 2012, 10:57:45 PM

For you cheap skates: (not pointing to any Scot)
I will soon (not sure when) give away one of my MP-1's (harmonic percolator clone) if you sign up on my mailing list. Check any post on my site to sign up.

Try this link below to sign up for the mailing list. Everyone one the list will be entered in the drawing when I do it.
http://eepurl.com/eglnT

Hemisaurus

Quote from: inductorguitars on January 05, 2012, 01:47:03 PM
Quote from: inductorguitars on January 04, 2012, 10:57:45 PM

For you cheap skates: (not pointing to any Scot)
I will soon (not sure when) give away one of my MP-1's (harmonic percolator clone) if you sign up on my mailing list. Check any post on my site to sign up.

Try this link below to sign up for the mailing list. Everyone one the list will be entered in the drawing when I do it.
http://eepurl.com/eglnT
Hey if Albini uses it, it must be crap ;)

VOLVO)))

nobody else fuckin' subscribe!

I'm subscripted. ;D ;D ;D ;D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

hashbrowns

Peavey T-60
My Tele, and Strat
Guild S100.

Yeah man haha. I mean no offense to anyone here, to each his own, but I think it's silly how much people buy into marketing ploys. I mean pretty much all of the "rockers" I meet hate on pointy guitars, and all the "metalheads" hate on fender/gibson/prs aka classics. To me it's silly, the shape of the guitar has no effect on it's tone why does it matter unless you buy guitars as some sort of fashion accessory. I guess it helps that on any given day  I might spin zeppelin IV followed by cannibal's KILL in the same hour. I've played gibson les pauls that are good for extremely brutal death metal chugs, and I've played a nice japanese ESP flying V's with passive pickups that could nail that old school hard rock crunch.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

The Shocker

Quote from: hashbrowns on January 05, 2012, 03:22:47 PM

Peavey T-60
My Tele, and Strat
Guild S100.

Yeah man haha. I mean no offense to anyone here, to each his own, but I think it's silly how much people buy into marketing ploys. I mean pretty much all of the "rockers" I meet hate on pointy guitars, and all the "metalheads" hate on fender/gibson/prs aka classics. To me it's silly, the shape of the guitar has no effect on it's tone why does it matter unless you buy guitars as some sort of fashion accessory. I guess it helps that on any given day  I might spin zeppelin IV followed by cannibal's KILL in the same hour. I've played gibson les pauls that are good for extremely brutal death metal chugs, and I've played a nice japanese ESP flying V's with passive pickups that could nail that old school hard rock crunch.

Yeah, Brian Robertson used a strat in the studio for some of the solos when he was with Thin Lizzy!

Still hate strats though.

rayinreverse

While I get the argument that the shape of a guitar doesn't matter for how it sounds, it also is a thing. A tangible thing that can look about a million different ways in regards to shape, color, etc. Regardless of how awesome a pointy guitar sounds, I think most look stupid. So yeah it does matter to me, and maybe it is a fashion accessory. My  guitars do bring out my eyes, and  make my ass look good.
So would I buy one? No. Would I use it if someone gave it to me, probably for something. If Im going to drop even a small amount of money on something, that is so obviously enjoyed for both tone AND looks I might as well enjoy the look of the thing.

And I really like explorers, and dont mind flying v's. But i hate the strap button on explorers and V's are only playable standing. Those two things alone keep me from buying.

Hemisaurus

anything made with American Cheese, I had this American Cheese guitar once and it sucked. ::)

inductorguitars

Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 05, 2012, 02:49:43 PM
Hey if Albini uses it, it must be crap ;)

Heh.

I think the secret to his tone is the 15"/tweeter and the Intersound IVP soildstate preamp.

inductorguitars

Quote from: SunnO))) on January 05, 2012, 02:53:55 PM
nobody else fuckin' subscribe!

I'm subscripted. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sunn I'll conscript you... ;D

hashbrowns

Quote from: rayinreverse on January 05, 2012, 05:23:45 PM
V's are only playable standing.

Really? If I'm sitting down I prefer my V to anything else. Just use classical position dude it rules for that. It gives me really good posture and helps my technique.

Lumpy

I hate pointy guitars, but I want to be in a surf band where we all play these:

(Step 2: learn how to play guitar.)
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Mr Neutron

my only flat out "no" are floating trems. of any make.

i dont like pointy guitars in general (like kerry king style pointy, not flying v pointy), or active pickups, but if some crazy ass bc rich with emgs played nice, and gave me a sound i liked, id have no problem with it.
"Where words fail, music speaks."

MichaelZodiac

Yeah, I should note that although I'm not an active pu fan I'd still like to try one of those BC Rich full active setups, those things seem godly with a shitload of possibilities.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

The Riffer

The list of won't buy is VERY long..The list of won't use is non existent. Fuck, I'd use anything that is either free or borrowed.
BLACK ARTS TONEWORKS
Black Arts Instagram
Black Arts FB
New Horizons, Talkin' 'bout
a True, Defiant, Alliance

Andrew Blakk

I can't see myself ever again buying something with emg's and a floyd rose on it. Otherwise I'm not that picky.

xayk

There's gear I don't like, but all it takes is the right gear to turn me around, should it play good/sound good/some combo thereof.  Except for guitars with locking trems.

...but even then, I'd take a Page Hamilton ESP/LTD any day of the week, so I'm just an asshole.

blackkrosses

Model T Ford plays a Razer.

He's a blues man.

RAGER

Dean guitars.  No bueno on them headstocks
No Focus Pocus