Main Menu

Gear you won't buy/use...

Started by zachoff, January 04, 2012, 07:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ayek

I'd be hard pressed to justify buying anything new these days. Shit's expensive. And I wouldn't buy a bass with more than 4 strings. I'd use pretty much anything, though. Depending on circumstances, I guess. I'm not a proud man.

mawso

jazzmasters etc

they're kinda like my uncle.. they're extremely ugly and they don't work

inductorguitars

I agree on the feel, but their tone does nothing for me. Still buggered how Gilmour get decent tone.

Never really liked LP's. I played one that I liked it was a studio or recording model I forget which. It was light as fuck. (For a LP)

For you cheap skates: (not pointing to any Scot)
I will soon (not sure when) give away one of my MP-1's (harmonic percolator clone) if you sign up on my mailing list. Check any post on my site to sign up.

VOLVO)))

Harmonic perc 4 lyfe.

I like strats. sue me.  ;D ;D

I'd play a Strat over a Paul 99% of the time. I'd play a tele over anything, though.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

BrianDamage

I have a revv'ed up Jay Turser tele that I don't play.... Got anything you would trade for it?
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

hashbrowns

What gear will I not use? There is no gear that I won't use every piece of gear is different to me and I've found gems all over. What gear will I not buy? Overpriced stuff is the only thing I'd never buy.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

rayinreverse

Yeah I suppose I'd use most anything. But I am pretty adamant about picks.

lordfinesse

I won't say I won't use anything if the situation demands it, but I generally won't use/buy:

Picks other than those green Dunlops
Strings other than D'Addario XLs
cheap cables
cheap connectors
Line 6 stuff

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Billy Squier 24/7

Jake

I'd use just about anything, really.

But likely would not buy...

Guitars: Don't like them to be AAAAA Flametop, abalone everywhere, overly decorative, ornate or pointy/shredder.
Amps: I don't care for combo amps – awkward to carry; lack the flexibility of playing w/ diff't speaker combinations.
Effects: Big multi processors, MIDI stuff
poop.

NoSleepTilSleep

Quote from: Lumpy on January 04, 2012, 10:12:08 PM
PRS guitars. Fugly, expensive, and I've never heard one that sounds good in a heavy band. Who buys them, besides Carlos Santana?

Truth.

dogfood

I have been a gear moron.  I would have told you "I wouldn't use ______ ever!" and always I was wrong.  As it turns out, most shit has a time/place.  And, that being said, Chorus and Flange have no place in my world.  I have issues with many other items such as "out of phase wiring" which I most likely will never record with, but, I won't rule it out because it does not occupy the nineth layer of hell as does flange and chorus.  If I ever go round the bend, I may hunt down roland stereo jazz chorus amp owners (who also own flange units) and pulverise their knuckles + ice pick their ear drums, though it may be their brain that deserves the fixing.
Problem solving whiskey!

Hemisaurus

Whats wrong with Flanging? It always sounds to me like phasing should sound.

jibberish

picks other than purple gator grips

way expensive stuff is out too. no need for my brand of basement hackery

other than that, i'll give it a whirl to see what it is like.

I,Galactus

Quote from: dunwichamps on January 04, 2012, 10:15:00 PM
PRS guitars. Fugly, expensive, and I've never heard one that sounds good in a heavy band. Who buys them, besides Carlos Santana?

Opeth?

Steve Austin from Today is the Day.  Al Di Meola's got a rainbow finish one, too.

I won't ever buy/use active pups.  Looks like I'm not in the minority on that here.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

MichaelZodiac

overpriced gear
active pu's

I'm not a big fan of P/J basses, especially J bass since I compared one to my T-40.

In contribution to the strat/single coil: I wasn't fond of those either at the beginning of last year but since I play with a guy who only has a Fender USA Strat I had to adjust my opinion. It sounds pretty awesome actually in a stoner/doom band, different from your regular LP. And a strat goes wonderfully with an octave fuzz.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

The Shocker

VOLVO)))

I have active single coils in my tele gehehe

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Instant Dan

Anything new, so much more easier to shop around the used section at other forums.

justinhedrick

i won't play anything with a floyd rose on it. my technique (or lack there of) relies on me resting my hand on the bridge a lot.

other than that, there really isn't anything i won't at least try out.

Hemisaurus

You still looking for a 12" Justin?

That cedist.com have ceramic Jensen's about $30 for a low watt one $45 for a 75W or so. Alnico's are like double that.

zachoff

I generally dislike multi-effects too but love my Boss VE-20 for vocals.
Also won't play anything headless.  Guitars, basses, drums, dolls...  Nothing headless.

Discö Rice

Quote from: mawso on January 04, 2012, 10:55:24 PM
jazzmasters etc

they're kinda like my uncle.. they're extremely ugly and they don't work
You go to hell and you DIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!11!1!!
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 05, 2012, 10:25:50 AM

That cedist.com have ceramic Jensen's about $30 for a low watt one $45 for a 75W or so. Alnico's are like double that.

hemi did u get an access code now?

Chovie D

Steve Austin from Today is the Day plays prs. They are good guitars.
I dont like anything overly flamed or quilted tho and most of their tops are. I agree that they are ugly.

I love strats, haterz gonna hate.
I dont like the idea of relics but gotta admit the road worn series from fender were really good guitars

I probably wouldnt buy or use:
modeling guitars
midi guitars
robot guitars
multi-effects units
amps with alot of built in effects
?

i dunno , im open to almost anythign at the right price

Hemisaurus

Quote from: dunwichamps on January 05, 2012, 11:31:49 AM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on January 05, 2012, 10:25:50 AM

hemi did u get an access code now?
yeah they sent me a catalog and all, though I realise now that was 2010 prices.