Main Menu

Epiphone Les Pauls?

Started by cat shepard, December 25, 2011, 06:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cat shepard

Can they be turned into great gtr.s? They are relatively inexpensive. Does it matter if they are made in Korea? Heard that made em better. Thanks in advance expert rockers.

hashbrowns

I might not be the best guy to ask about this as the only guitars I've owned have been cheapos just for a disclaimer. However, from my personal experience with guitars epiphones are totally acceptable guitars and with the right upgrades they can actually be pretty good. As for korean ones are better yeah man they definitely are. Both of my epiphones are korean and I like them more than other ones i've played. You'll defintely have to replace the electronics and get it set up though.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

hashbrowns

Oh and also as for them being able to be great? I really don't think so. They can be good guitars but not great. I'm not exactly sure what makes it this way but a nice prs, gibson, or some other mahogany set neck is going to have better tone and play better than an epiphone once both guitars have been upgraded with the same hardware and pickups. Now is that better tone and playability worth the huge increase in price? I guess that just depends on how much money you're willing to invest. If you're just wanting something that will get the job done and be rock solid than an epiphone will do you right. I know that up until around let us prey or we live jus osborn used epiphone sg's with super distortions and they seemed to sound pretty good.
I am not going to lose another fucking child and another fucking woman, because of cocaine and killing dogs!!! - Ricky

Ranbat

Are you looking at new or used? If you're looking at new, I'd suggest Rondo Music's Agile line. Solidly built Korean guitars at much less than you'll buy a comparable Epiphone for. They have LP copies and their version of the SG called the Valkyrie. I currently own a Valkyrie III and an AS-820 (their version of the 335). I had a Goldtop and kick myself for selling it every time I see them on their site. If you're thinking of ripping out the electronics, I'd buy an Agile AL-2000 LP for $225 vs the Epi Standard Plain Top for $399.

www.rondomusic.com
Meh :/

Metal and Beer

Pay attention to the models. In my experience, the cheapest ones are junk, the intermediate ones are okay but usually need upgrades, and the top ones are as good as the line-level Gibsons. The quality varies so much across these models that any one opinion on Epiphones is insufficient.

Your mileage may vary.
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

jibberish

i ALMOST bought that zack model with the big bullseye thing on it. wow did it play nicely, and sounded pretty good with w/e pups were in it<-some different zack spec'd deals.

i couldn't get past the paint scheme heh, but i played that thing a couple times because it was nice. I also have a cortez exact copy of a 59 black beauty,and a studio, so i really didnt need it.
Also, in retrospect, i could get 3 agiles for the same price: an LP, a tele and a shred axe.

Ranbat

Quote from: cat shepard on December 25, 2011, 10:34:24 PM
used

If you're looking at used, the Epi's are way more plentiful and the prices are pretty fair on the used ones most of the time. Check the used gear on the Guitar Center site. I buy stuff through there a lot and shipping is usually real reasonable. Some of the prices are really good too.
Meh :/

kirky

i have an 90's korean goldtop...i got it for $200 used and changed everything out over the years except the body....its a very good guitar but i can never get past the look of the headstock.....hahaha...i think the epi headstock looks bad on a standard lp....the customs look better. i second the agiles, they seem to be of better quality.

blackkrosses

The Korean guitars seem to be better than the Chinese. A m.i.k. epi LP studio, standard, or custom should be a good guitar. Add an aftermarket pickup and make it a great guitar.

Iron Mtn

If you're going to lay out the dough for a Epi, I think and Agile would be a better choice. Built well and play way better than an Epi IMO....

Lanticus

Yeah - I love my Epi LP, so it pains me to say it, but I think the Agile I played felt a little more gibby.  I don't like the 'pregnant' look of their sg copies, though.  I would have gotten one if not for that.
Hot Wings of Hell @ Slayer's Bar&Grill

zachoff

My guitar player has an Agile AL3000 (I think) that smokes any Epiphone I've played.  If you can find one of these used they're usually not much money at all.

bitter

I have an Agile AL-3000M and a Hagstrom super swede RI. The Agile was cheaper than the hag, came with a hardshell case, needed no upgrades, and is still a better player than the hag (even after I had gfs pups installed in the hag.). YMMV, but I would drop coin on another Agile in a heartbeat.

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Metal and Beer

The nice Agile's are really nice, I'm pretty sure Lant and I have played the same ones (DustinAR on this forum has a couple of 'em and they're veryyyyyy sweet)....as with the Eps though, there are varying models/prices/quality in the Agile line (and same with all the "major" guitar makers nowadays)

Hemisaurus

I know the Xaviere SG is nice, maybe they do a LP too.

Lanticus

Yessir.  I haven't played Dustin's, but Jerms was smoking.  I say 'was', cause I think he sold it :-\
Hot Wings of Hell @ Slayer's Bar&Grill

Metal and Beer

I think he sold the inferior of the two gray ones? The one w/ chrome P/U covers was noticably better than the one w/ EMG's....hope he didn't sell the superior one, that thing was speshul

MikeyT

Quote from: Metal and Beer on December 25, 2011, 10:47:09 PM
Pay attention to the models. In my experience, the cheapest ones are junk, the intermediate ones are okay but usually need upgrades, and the top ones are as good as the line-level Gibsons. The quality varies so much across these models that any one opinion on Epiphones is insufficient.

Your mileage may vary.

When you refer to the "top" Epiphones, I realize you're referring to their higher priced models in a general sense.
However, since you & your mates have played about all of them in the last few years (saw that in one of your other posts); what were the particular models which really impressed you ?

'Seven doctors couldn't help my head,
They said, "You better quit, son, before you're dead".'

Metal and Beer

Yep. Lanticus from the board has one of the black Les Paul Customs and it's about on par with the Gibson LP Standards?. It's very nice (it's one of the ones with the chrome pickguard and such)....the Epi LP Standards are roughly comparable to Gib's LP Studios. Rough guidelines based on my own experience which obviously is anecdotal, there are exceptions in every model line, etc.
   Jerm from Seahag has one of the "mid-level" Epi SG's (the two-P/U, two vol./two tone pots version but w/ bolt-on neck) and we were always pleasantly surprised at how dead-on the intonation was (and stayed after string-gauge changes, climate changes, etc.)...that particular guitar was way better than his Gibson Faded SG...

hayseed

I have owned several Epiphones over the years. Most notably is my SG 400 Worn/Faded? Brown. HAnds down it is the best guitar that I have ever owned! Feels good, plays great, and sounds awesome. Now its no Gibson, but for $399 its a damn good quality guitar. I have kept it stock since i got it, but I am considering dropping some P90s in it.
I also had the super cheap SG(like the entry level one that goes for about $150). It was built like shit and didn't play very well but it did sound great. I gave it to a friend that gigs at least 3 times a month and it has never failed him. He was a Strat guy before playing this shitty SG and now that is his main guitar.
The Epi Les Pauls seemed very cheaply built to me. Nothing at all like the Gibson Les Pauls. I think they have improved since i owned one 10 yrs ago but I steer clear of Epi Les Pauls no matter how "cool" they look...and I hate playing Les Pauls in general. I prefer the SG.
Anyway in my opinion the G400 line is pretty good but like anything cheap, its hit and miss sometimes.

I have always wanted to try out an Agile but have yet to come across one.
"We just want to make the walls cave in and the ceiling collapse. Music is meant to be played as loudly as possible, really raw and punchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." - BON SCOTT, AC/DC

bbottom

clockwork green

Cheap guitars have come a long way in the last 20 years but maybe I'm just too shallow to ever feel totally comfortable with an Epiphone aside from the really, really old stuff. Gibson's are far from perfect and with every new Gibson I've spent a ton upgrading them but I'm just too lame to take the stage with an Epi.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

bitter

Quote from: clockwork green on January 12, 2012, 07:23:12 PM
Cheap guitars have come a long way in the last 20 years but maybe I'm just too shallow to ever feel totally comfortable with an Epiphone aside from the really, really old stuff. Gibson's are far from perfect and with every new Gibson I've spent a ton upgrading them but I'm just too lame to take the stage with an Epi.

You've always had nice stuff so I can understand that. I couldn't get behind the brand either, honestly. I'm happy with what I've got but there is still a stigma around the epi's that I hold from a decade ago when first getting into music.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

CowboyJakeB

Davison do a real nice set neck goldtop.