Main Menu

delay/echo pedals

Started by mortlock, November 30, 2011, 11:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I,Galactus

Quote from: Worthless Willie on December 07, 2011, 10:12:20 PM
What's the internal trim pot for?

There's actually two internal trim pots that control modulation width and rate.

I've got one up for grabs for $75 over in the FOR SALE thread, if'n yer interested.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

gnombient

The Deluxe Memory Man has served me well for years.  The only other delay I use with any frequency (it's not a pedal, so maybe it doesn't count for this thread) is the Blacet Time Machine synth module.  I'm going to have to check out some of the other delays here, it's definitely my favorite effect...

VOLVO)))

I really miss my Carbon Copy.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Instant Dan

Say what you want but those CC's are pretty nifty if you want analog delay in a compact box with modulation, long times, and affordable.

neighbor664

I loved my Deluxe Memory Man, but I had to sell it when I was out of work. I've thought of getting another, but I can't see spending the money.
Since I'm mostly a bedroom player these days I can't justify spending big bucks on boutique stuff either.

I've been looking at other budget options. Does anyone have an opinion on, or experience with, the Seymour Duncan Deja Vu?
I've been wanting to get a tap tempo delay that sub-divides for a while. Been seeing these for pretty reasonable prices.

I had recently seen some gear rundowns with GE Smith on his rig for the Roger Waters The Wall tour.
He's been using it in conjunction with a Carbon Copy to get all of the Pink Floyd guitar and bass parts.

Chovie D

cool vid, he's using the duncan twin tube...Im a big fan of those pedals.

clockwork green

It's hard to beat the Malekko 616...like a carbon copy in size and that they're analog with modulated delays but its trippier. The TC Electronic will do a damn good job giving you various tastes of other delays for not much money. The Akai Headrush sounds good and also makes an excellent looper for about $150.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

neighbor664

^Do either of those do a sub divided tap-tempo? That is an essential feature for me.

da_qtip

Does anyone know the cheapest way to get a sound similar to an echoplex? I listen to too much Earthless.

dunwichamps

yesca

i used to have a boss dd6(actually friend let me borrow it for over a year and i forgot it wasnt mine till he asked for it back) and i wish i still had it. i wanted a more warm delay in which i got the MXR Carbon Copy which is great and then i also picked up a Boss Rv3 which is also great to push the envelope on the delay sounds that the Carbon Copy cant achieve

Baltar

I used to have the Mooger delay. Believe the hype on that one, it is W I C K E D.

The Mem Men delays are pretty nice, but the new Way Huge Supa Puss is the one to own now!

$250 street. 

Real clean, tone control, and EXP pedal input.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

I,Galactus

Quote from: dunwichamps on December 07, 2012, 12:46:05 AM
Strymon El Cap
Wampler FTE is pretty convincing too and a little cheaper than Strymon.  Won't do sound-on-sound, though.
"Why don't you take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut? Why don't you take a flying fuck at the mooooooooooooon?"

Instant Dan

I loved both Deluxe Memory Man's I owned (Big Box and XO) but I hate how they would clip out so easily.

Right now I am using a Retro-Sonic Analog Delay which is a Boss DM-2 with double the delay time and a tone control, pretty sweet.

Neighbor, check out the Tech21 DLATT it might be a decent alternative.

I was actually kind of under-whelmed with the Supa-Puss demo.

Skreddy Echo is supposed to be pretty damn close to an Echoplex.

xayk

Quote from: da_qtip on December 06, 2012, 11:16:05 PM
Does anyone know the cheapest way to get a sound similar to an echoplex? I listen to too much Earthless.

If you're feeling DIY the 1776 Effects Multiplex Echo is my current favorite thing ever. Three settings, including the Echoplex. $14 for the board plus your parts and your time. I like it so much I'm considering building another one, just in case. Not nearly as many bells and whistles as the Strymon El Cap, though. (And no tap tempo and no sound-on-sound, to other relevant thread concerns.)

dunwichamps

1776 one is a good DIY PT2399 based emulation if you wanna go that route. I bought a Strymon El Cap, excited to play it when it comes in.

johnny problem

I currently have a Carbon Copy and DL4, but this pedal has been getting me tingly.

da_qtip

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Xayk, how much did the 1776 Multiplex cost after completion? If it's cheap enough I might do that even if I decide on another pedal.

xayk

Quote from: da_qtip on December 07, 2012, 03:36:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Xayk, how much did the 1776 Multiplex cost after completion? If it's cheap enough I might do that even if I decide on another pedal.

Kinda tough to say, as I had all of the components on hand. Uh, probably another $50-$60 depending on your resistor/capacitor/opamp stash? That may be a little high - and I really do love the pedal - but I also don't wanna get your hopes up.

Chovie D

that supa puss vid made me GAS for a second.

Jake

Me too... until the pricetag is considered.
poop.

neighbor664

Bit the bullet and just got the Deja Vu. I found a supposedly mint used one on eBay for a price I liked.

Lumpy

there are some weird ones... an "asynchronous" delay (i guess the trails are lopsided tempo?) I forget who makes that one... Or delays with an effects loop, so your trails can be flanged or harmonized or whatever.

The problem with fancy delays IMO is that sometimes when you have all that racket happening (full band or whatever) a lot of the subtle details can get lost (like putting a phaser on your trails). Your delay was backwards, can anybody hear that? Maybe not.

That Rainbow Machine does look awesome though...

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Chovie D

Quote from: neighbor664 on December 07, 2012, 08:59:24 PM
Bit the bullet and just got the Deja Vu. I found a supposedly mint used one on eBay for a price I liked.

if you have time and feel like it, let us know how it is. enjoy it in good health!

themusketking

Quote from: justinhedrick on December 01, 2011, 09:51:41 AM
on the cheap i'd go with the ibanez de7. sounds great and i've seen them on craigslist for like $40.

These things are awesome.  I bought one for $20.
Something heady, stupid, and prophetic here.