Running movie sound clips live

Started by bbottom, November 06, 2011, 08:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

What is the best way to do this? My band is thinking of adding a few things here and there in our songs (kind of White Zombie-esque) and I have no idea how to approach it. I would like to be able to hit a foot switch in order to activate them but again I'm not sure what kind of hardware I would need. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BrianDamage

The only way I have ever done is by having the sound guy play them when it's time. If you don't have a sound guy maybe have a buddy get familiar with the set and do it for you.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

Metal and Beer

I think we just used an iPod into the P.A which works fine, but I'm sure there are easier methods...in Holy Angell the drummer just laid the iPod on his kickdrum with velcro (?) and launched the tracks when necessary...B in Rwake launches 'em from an iPod on her Moog, etc
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

bitter

I think you can use some of those sampler devices that have those preset patches. I believe dj's use them and they have those big illuminated buttons. Some keyboards can do it too. just copy the sound clips to individual keys. I'm guessing that could get expensive but would be relatively easy to patch into a PA.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

SpaceTrucker

bbottom

It seems like the Boss RC-3 looper is the exact thing that I'm looking for

fallen

There's the Digitech JamMan Solo pedal that holds 99 loops and let's you drag files to the pedal from the computer in some kind of software that comes with it and a USB cable.

Older tech version I used to use an Akai sampler with a regular footswitch or a drum pad plugged into it. The cool thing about the footswitch is that you could set up looping samples and clicking the switch would start it and it wouldn't stop until I switched it off again. Like holding the key down on a keyboard. Good for sirens or atmospheric stuff.

jibberish

[desperate zombie voice]

MUST HAVE MY MIDI FOOT CONTROLLER, MORE USES HAVE JUST BEEN IDENTIFIED

[/desperate zombie voice]

edit: FWIW when i saw GWAR last we were in the balcony, 1st row at thee agora (heh about 3 feet beyond gatorade cannon range). basically right over the sound board. those guys had a like an e-mu sampler kybd, it was older, but all it had was masking tape strips on the keys describing the sounds, and one of their BOH dudes was playing it when the song needed a sample.   i see that thing as being easily foot controlled: one shot, just have to hit the right button at the right time and done.

more edits: one word VincentPrice  heh

bbottom

Quote from: fallen on November 07, 2011, 12:52:23 AM
There's the Digitech JamMan Solo pedal that holds 99 loops and let's you drag files to the pedal from the computer in some kind of software that comes with it and a USB cable.

I'm a bit leary of Digitech stuff. Anything that I've ever owned of that brand has been garbage. The Boss seems to run the same way and I wouldn't have to worry about it's reliability.

fallen

Quote from: bbottom on November 07, 2011, 10:29:37 AM
Quote from: fallen on November 07, 2011, 12:52:23 AM

I'm a bit leary of Digitech stuff. Anything that I've ever owned of that brand has been garbage. The Boss seems to run the same way and I wouldn't have to worry about it's reliability.

Yeah I have no idea how good it is except that on the Boss one it seemed like you had to manually record your samples into the pedal through an AUX input. I've done this on a sampler and you really need a method of trimming the samples afterwards or resort to a bunch of trial and error.

Tons of people seem to get bored of both of those looper pedals so it should be fairly easy to find a used one for cheaper than retail.

VOLVO)))

I know mine is fucking boring, but I use it to practice.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

jibberish

what about a control surface and a laptop? anyone remember vienna soundfonts?  make a chromatic sound set out of anything and assign it like a stdGM patch set

control surface=ANY bullshit casio kybd with a MIDI out.

...find some software that lets you replace the GM drum set with your own samples. that GM drumset is set up EXACTLY like you want. all done on one MIDI channel. a different drum/cymbal/percussion sample attached to each note vs the whole bank on a MIDI channel change. just swap the set out with your performance set, then you will be doing the GWAR thing ghetto style.

Lumpy

The Boss Looper only has one "1 shot" loop (at least the one I have). On all the other storage slots, you'd have to turn it off with your foot, after the sample was over. Which might be easy to forget.

Somebody on the side playing an iPod seems fine, but they'd really have to be paying attention, in case somebody wanted to talk in between songs, or needed to tune up first, etc. Might be better to control it from the stage.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.