Main Menu

KickDisk

Started by Lumpy, November 05, 2011, 03:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lumpy

I was trying to remember this gadget, in Chovie D's Fuzz Probe thread. The poor man's expression pedal. Ride pedal settings on the fly, with your foot. My guitar player uses this pretty effectively... he said there are some other types which can break your knob (heh, knob...)

9 Dollars shipped (less per/1 if you order more than one.)

Those slippery Kenneth Cole loafers are probably not the ideal footwear to rock a KickDisk:

More info here:
http://www.fuzzhugger.com/kickdisk.html
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Hemisaurus

Don't Phase 90's have that big rubber cover fir similar effect?

Baltar

That looks like some 4th grader designed it.  3rd hand or just remove the pot and run 3 wires from the exp. pedal to the board.  Done.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Lumpy

Quote from: Hemisaurus on November 05, 2011, 03:43:18 PM
Don't Phase 90's have that big rubber cover fir similar effect?

Yup. Nice big radius on the Kickdisk though (more control than a wee knob...) and you can use it instead of any knob (chickenhead etc)

Lumpy

Quote from: Baltar on November 05, 2011, 03:43:45 PM
That looks like some 4th grader designed it.  3rd hand or just remove the pot and run 3 wires from the exp. pedal to the board.  Done.

9 dollar Kickdisk versus 70 dollar 3rd Hand (plus weight/space) or 60 dollar expression pedal, and modifying your pedal. Kickdisk is good way to get into it for cheap and easy.

Hemisaurus

They have you on commission?

Lumpy

Oh yeah, I get 5% of every 9 dollar disk I sell on StonerRockLives. ;)

Having seen it work, I can recommend it more than stooping over your pedals, since it takes two hands to play guitar.

bitter

lol you two are asshole.  :D

live/drunk I'd be concerned someone may break that little device. especially if you wearing heavy clodhoppers or it's dark. still cheap enough to replace and easy to do on the fly.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Lumpy

I believe the center piece on the Kick Disk is a rubber sleeve that fits over your pedal's post. You can step on it and it flexes. You also can't overcrank it.

Somebody clever can probably roll their own, with a piece of rubber tubing and some foam core or cardboard, glue etc.

bitter

Yeah, I can see that now. It looked a bit flimsy at first but that flex probably does help out a lot.

Chovie D

Interesting. It seems to lack expressive capabilty tho, it merely can change your settings.

I just got back from Tommys Guitars and have the fuzz probe at home.
In the store it sounded great, amazing.
Here at home im having a harder time taming the settings, (i foolishly didnt write down what i had at the store and strated changing shit at home) but its still alot of fun.
Since you deal in Noise Lumpster I think you would like this pedal quite a bit.
You can manipulate it with your hand too for some cool sounds and expressions, which seems like a natural for your noise rig.
Im really digging it. dont know how much i will use it, but its fun

bitter

what gear did you run it thru in the store?

Baltar

bitter

^ I was wondering when someone would make that connection  :D

Baltar

Moo-whohahahahaaaaaa!!!!  Sorry Lumpy, it looks really flimsy.

Hemisaurus

It can't be universal, different gear uses different style pot shafts, some use D shafts and set screws, some use spline shafts and knobs, shafts are all different sizes, my Sansamp is different from the Boss from my DOD etc.

Sorry, real slow today, didn't notice it was meant to replace a knob, not just slip over it, that might work better some kind of sizable soft rubber insert type dealio (can I get 5% too now :) )

Lumpy

I'll give you a Finder's Fee  ;D

Baltar

If I was gonna make another attempt at building a Phase 90, I'd mount the pot on the side like a Maestro Phaser and put the switch and LED at the top of the pedal and the wheel near the bottom.  Or just house it in a wah. Those rubber MXR covers are perfect for that.

Hemisaurus

How about using a fader instead of a rotary pot?

Or an infrared sensor and transmitter and attach shiny foil to the sole of your shoe? :)

Pundan

This looks both awfully DIY and cheap. I guess it does the job though but I wouldn't want it myself on my board. I find all one-knob pedals easy to adjust with your foot as it is and I try not to write songs that inclueds that I should get down on my knees and turn a couple of knobs. :)

Baltar

Chovie D

Quote from: bitter end on November 05, 2011, 07:12:11 PM
what gear did you run it thru in the store?

gibson sg into a twin.
They had some nice stuff there, that sg was a very serious guitar, but their prices are not so great.
Probably fair...and I need unfair in my favor :)

I have that maestro pahser with the wheels on the side, its so cool. But i dont use the foot wheels. They are not expressive, they just change the setting. The fuzzprobe is very expressive , which is what i was after, its just REALLY hard to tame and control because teh fuzz factory is so hard to control and get a good setting from.

bitter

Ah, they never let me mess with quality axes. I always get the used dean Cadillac that had a massive headstock repair. looks dumb, but pays well. I was trying out boost pedals into that egnater stack, but some homeless looking guy kept buggin' me.

The prices are just shy of assrape imo. Most are reasonably expensive, yet fair. That Sunn (solarus???) was about 3 bills higher than one I saw on CL a few weeks ago. Retail  :-\

Chovie D

I saw tha sunn and blackface basssman, both insanely overpriced.

It looked like business was kinda tough for them, they had a couple older dudes i there asking stupid questions and not buying anything.
After thirty seconds of wailing away on the probe, I said "sold" and they seemed like they were gonna kiss me or something. Shaking my hand, introducing themselves...haha.. :D it felt like maybe no one had bought anything in a loooooong time??

bitter

They were busy when I was there. My tech bill was over a C-note  :-[

They wanted me to bring in my amp next time and try out more effects.