Main Menu

Black Sabbath

Started by Hemisaurus, November 05, 2011, 11:42:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

Seeing as I never venture out the Jam Room, this may have already been covered, but Sabbath are meant to be making some big announcement 11/11/11 @ Whiskey-a-go-go in LA, all 4 members.

So it's not the instrumental trio tour I had hoped for, but it might be good news for some.

Isabellacat

Good thing to post this here,being that most people who post in Gen Disc are'nt real music fans anyways....

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/11/04/sabbath-to-announce-reunion

liquidsmoke

I don't think Ozzy has got it anymore but we'll see I guess. Well I probably won't see actually.

eddiefive10

As far as a new album, Im sure everyone would love to hear something...... But Paul Stanley once said regarding new Kiss material, everyone listens to it for a second and says great, now play Love Gun, in other words in the long run people dont give a shit about new material and only really want to hear the classics.... This is my exact thoughts on  "new" Sabbath material, I thought the new Heaven and Hell album was ok but not great, although I never cared for the metal midget Dio. But hell bring it on Ill give it a listen, according to Iommi on That Metal Show they did record new material years ago but decided not to do anything with it

Hemisaurus

What the last two guys both said:

• I don't really want to hear anything after Volume 4
  • I don't want to have to listen to Ozzy, way front of mix

Anyone want to do a tour as a silent Black Sabbath trio, playing only classics from the first four albums? I'm sure I can get Gzus on board, we just need a guitar then. ;D

Lumpy

Agree, Ozzy seems to think it's all about him. I prefer the Ozzy years hands down, but he's just one person out of four.

If they could do a throwback album minus all the nu-metal influences, I would be into it. That would mean they'd have to un-listen to years of Fear Factory and other modern mehtal. I don't think that's going to happen.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

VOLVO)))

That Whocares thingy Iommi did was pretty rad.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

I couldn't name you a Fear Factory song, or album, or band member, heard the name though.

I used to go see a local band called Black Ice who played norhing but the stuff from Metallica's first three albums, and whilst I've lost the desire to ever go see Metallica, I'd go see those guys again.

The Who had it sussed, they realised no-one wanted to hear their new material, and Townshend even went as far as to say he didn't think he could write great songs like he used to, they were just going out and playing the songs they enjoyed playing and that people wanted to hear (thanks CSI).

If I was the Sabbath sound guy, I' turn Ozzy way up in his monitors, and way down FOH, lower than he even was on the albums.

EddieMullet

I don't care anymore, a new studio album is guaranteed to suck ass, The Ozz is toast and needs to retire, Sabbath is done old and tired, I'll always love what they did, but it has to end sometime and the Heaven and Hell thing was a decent enough last gasp, let it die there much like other bands from the past like BOC, Uriah Heep and Deep Purple all are way too past the expiration date.

Hemisaurus

mainly so Justin can pass time at his work ;D

Isabellacat

Quote from: EddieMullet on November 05, 2011, 04:48:14 PM
I don't care anymore, a new studio album is guaranteed to suck ass, The Ozz is toast and needs to retire, Sabbath is done old and tired, I'll always love what they did, but it has to end sometime and the Heaven and Hell thing was a decent enough last gasp, let it die there much like other bands from the past like BOC, Uriah Heep and Deep Purple all are way too past the expiration date.

Will the new album be better than Never Say Die? I kinda doubt it, but I'm sure it would be better than anything Metallica does.

I guess Rick Rubin might be at the helm,but who they really need to get is Rodger Bain.

Lumpy

Rick Rubin can supposedly be kind of a tyrant (for getting people to follow his his vision) and he might be able to reign those guys in.

Hemisaurus

could be worse, could be Bob Rock. :-X

wonder how they'd fair with Billy Anderson, old school meets new school. I imagine he might jizz himself. :o

jibberish

Quote from: Isabellacat on November 05, 2011, 11:55:12 AM
Good thing to post this here,being that most people who post in Gen Disc are'nt real music fans anyways....

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/11/04/sabbath-to-announce-reunion

heh, yeah, it's not "all about the music" for many/most.

lumpy gets a pass though because he is subtly maybe the funniest person on this board.(is also into the music of course)

hey hemi, give sabotage a chance. that one-two punch of symptom and hole in the sky , plus the semi-regular once per album black metal interlude part all adds up to a lot of coolness (for moi anyhoo).

core9

Quote from: Hemisaurus on November 05, 2011, 02:10:04 PM
What the last two guys both said:

• I don't really want to hear anything after Volume 4

Dude, you are kidding right?  Sabotage is one of their finest moments....no?  SBS is a bit to artsy and not heavy enough for my taste, but it still has the killer title track.   Just my two cents.[/list]

core9

I've thought of beginning to post more music related topics here as well.....Do we actually need yet another offshoot? ;)  Joking obviously,  but I do agree that there seems to not be to much interest in actual music discussion/new band discoveries and such on the General Discussion board.  I'm a musician but not a techie, so I kinda get caught in the middle.  End of semi-rant.

jibberish

Quote from: core9 on November 05, 2011, 09:09:20 PM

I've thought of beginning to post more music related topics here as well.....Do we actually need yet another offshoot? ;)  Joking obviously,  but I do agree that there seems to not be to much interest in actual music discussion/new band discoveries and such on the General Discussion board.  I'm a musician but not a techie, so I kinda get caught in the middle.  End of semi-rant.

actually, there would be the grey area reached at some point, but i think this thread is right in line no problem.  i read the word "production" and "turn down FOH and raise personal monitors"...that's performance shit right there 8D

maybe i'll be running sound for that which will not be mentioned and have to do just that. COULD HAPPEN

also, the techie stuff really needs to be segregated from general discussion.
so that would justify the second forum more, but not exclusively only that topic type would go in the forum

core9

Quote from: jibberish on November 05, 2011, 09:19:38 PM
Quote from: core9 on November 05, 2011, 09:09:20 PM

actually, there would be the grey area reached at some point, but i think this thread is right in line no problem.  i read the word "production" and "turn down FOH and raise personal monitors"...that's performance shit right there 8D

maybe i'll be running sound for that which will not be mentioned and have to do just that. COULD HAPPEN

also, the techie stuff really needs to be segregated from general discussion.
so that would justify the second forum more, but not exclusively only that topic type would go in the forum

Totally dig what your saying man.....I guess it just seems that the more passionate "fans" are here in the Jam Room.  Obviously most of us are in the business to some extent, maybe that is why the vibe here is stroner?

yesca

i  still have faith in what sabbath will do. love iommi's solo album with the multiple guest singers.

BrianDamage

I personally think Sabbath can put out a good album as long as Ozzy isn't allowed to have anything to do with the song writing and Sharon is banned from practices.
"My son Jack just got out of rehab, he's 17 years old and he got hooked on Oxycontin and I'm just a little pissed off that he never gave me a few."

Ozzy Osbourne - 2003

Lumpy

People in Gen. Discussion are into music but maybe they have been around the block umpteen times, and how many times can you discuss the same topics. Also, everybody is into different shit. The people posting in the 70s Grails thread might not post in the Grindcore thread or whatever. I might read the Black Metal thread but I'm not going to post there, because I'm not that into the genre, and it will be a better thread if I listen more than talk. Look at the view count on threads too, not just the number of responses. People are interested, but might not have anything to add.

General Discussion is whatever you wanna make it. Be the change you want to see in the universe. Some of the people posting heavily there now are friends in real life, and they use the forum like a chat room. There's room for your stupid music threads too.  :P

Hemisaurus

They don't need any bloody singers, really.

If we split Jam Room, we got to do a 3-way, one for technical stuff, one for gear masturbation, and one for music discussion.

I think 90% of Jam Room is gear masturbation.

Rather than Applaud and Smite, how about a Wanker button? You can see how much of a gear masturbator someone is by their wanker total. Some of y'all would be scoring pretty high.

Lumpy

The forums that really need more traffic are Album Reviews and Live Reviews.

By far, most of the music I listen to is 'off topic'. What's your excuse?

Hemisaurus

Quote from: Lumpy on November 06, 2011, 12:27:18 AM
I'm very bitter and hate everyone ???

Oh and 99% of peoples recommendations are usually wrong.

Lumpy

Quote from: Hemisaurus on November 06, 2011, 12:39:17 AM
Quote from: Lumpy on November 06, 2011, 12:27:18 AM
I'm very bitter and hate everyone ???

That seems like a good guess. ;)

I just counted... half of the 40 threads on page 1 of General Discussion are about music.

Right now, this place is a lot about shooting the shit with your old pals (some real, some virtual). If you want more serious music content, you might try adding some of that serious content yourselves...? Or maybe hang out someplace that's been around longer, if you want more serious content already provided.