How often do you folks practice with your band?

Started by justinhedrick, November 04, 2011, 01:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cursed71

Quote from: mortlock on November 04, 2011, 10:15:49 PM
Quote from: Hemisaurus on November 04, 2011, 09:17:02 PM
Quote from: justinhedrick on November 04, 2011, 01:42:19 PM
i'm thinking it is going to have to go down to every two weeks and record it so we can remember.

you?
always record it. just sayin'
its a good habit to get into.. cant tell you how many times a great jam was lost to the universe..
Investing in one of those zoom recorders was the smartest thing we did as a band.  Super portable and we can hook it up to a stereo after practice and figure out if anything isn't working in a new song.

Hemisaurus

If you can't afford the Zoom, you can get a generic USB voice recorder, $15 for a 2GB one or $18 for a 4GB (shipped to your door) here:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-rechargeable-flash-drive-voice-recorder-4gb-48625

This is better than mine, which uses a AAA battery and eats through them at a rate of one per practice. They're usually pretty sensitive, so you may have to move it somewhere where it can pick up everything clearly, or wrap it in a cloth, once you get the hang of it, you just slip it in your pocket and stick it in the same place each practice and turn it on. These are great though, just plug into your PC and copy the files over after each practice.

I love DealExtreme ;D

I'm not slighting the Zoom, just being my usual cheap self.

RAGER

the zoom h4 is going for like $50-$100 nowadays
No Focus Pocus

liquidsmoke

The Tascam units are nice but you might have to use an external mic so you don't clip.

Hemisaurus

Quote from: RAGER on November 05, 2011, 11:53:12 AM
the zoom h4 is going for like $50-$100 nowadays
Cool. I'll give you $18 you give me $50-$100 then ;D

core9

Lately it's been once a week.  Which doesn't really satisfy me, but there is so much other shit going on in life now that I can't dedicate 3 nights a week anymore.  Although I really do miss practicing more....reality bites. >:(

Ranbat

With my last band, usually twice a week. We'd warm up on some covers, work on new material, run through set/jam and close out with either War Pigs or Rock n' Roll. Warm up was completely random stuff, nothing we ever played live or really knew. One practice might be Sleep/Judas Priest/Iron Maiden and the next would be Godsmack/Pearl Jam/Motley Crue.
Meh :/

Pundan

MichaelZodiac

We need to practice more. Now we get together every 3 weeks or so, not for living far from each other. We're all in the same class but we have a hard time setting up a moment for everybody. I hope it'll happen, we were trying to cover Satori Pt.1, I fucking love that song.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

mawso

it varies.  twice per month on average.  we are averaging about 2 gigs per month too.  plus there are recording sessions all over the place too.

we practice more when there are new songs to learn.  most of the songs in our set, we've had down for more than 18 months now, and mostly we don't even practice those anymore.

back when we were starting it was at least once a week, quite religiously too.

i find it can be quite nice to slack off and take a week's break from playing.. but any longer than a week away from the band and i'm anxious to get back into it.

nonoman

Twice a week for us, and we got one o the Zoom gadgets too.
What dude said about having to practice twice a week because of people not practicing enough on their own rings true for us...
No good deed goes unpunished.