Main Menu

Falling in love again

Started by Hemisaurus, October 28, 2011, 08:16:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

So after watching The Story of The Who and marvelling at John Entwistle's rigs, I decided to hook up my Ashdown preamp again. Rather than drag the power amp as well, I just hooked it up to two of the amps I already had in the man cave. All I can say is Holy Fuck, Preamps are IMPORTANT!!! I bi-amped it, running the lows into the power amp in on the T-Max hooked to the EV-18 and the highs to the aux on the Crate Stealth hooked to a single 15".

Even before I turned on the T-Max, and with the lows being dumped into no-mans land, the Stealth roared, with the EQ, Valve Drive and Subharmonics out, just straight. Dropping in the Valve Drive and a touch of EQ and it was a whole new amp. I mean this thing sounded weeny before, whether I used the instrument in jack, or fed the aux from my T-Max, I figured eh! it's not got enough power for bass frequencies well I was wrong. I'm tempted to drop a quad of 6550's into the Crate now and just use it for a high-end poweramp.

With the T-Max feeding the EV, things were shaking off the shelves, the wall were vibrating. I am so glad I didn't sell this thing now. Thankyou Herr Entwistle, for creating (or inspiring, causing it to be created, whatever he did to Ashdown).

1 hiccup, I need to make an attenuator to balance the Aux on the Crate with the Power Amp In on the Peavey, Crate input is too sensitive.

bitter

Nice! What kind of wattage are you pushing with that setup? also, Is that the only peavey cab you have?
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Hemisaurus

Not a lot. Probably 300W total, maybe 450. No I have multiple Peavey cabs.

bitter

I was wonderin' where they all went  :D
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

Baltar

Good God.  Congrats on the new/old rig discovery.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.