Main Menu

Soil Analysis

Started by bitter, October 26, 2011, 02:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beerrhino

Fender Telecaster Deulxe into a radial switchbone splitter, channel A into Roger Mayer Mongoose, mxr phase 90, toadworks dual meat boost (clean boost off, fat boost cranked), snarling dogs wah, redbear mk120 (treble and presence on 5, everything else cranked), emperor 4x12 and 2x15.  channel B into way huge swollen pickle, sound city smf (same settings as redbear), sound city smf 4x12 and sunn 4x15.  If I need to knock down the volume I use a weber attenuator

bitter

Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

justinhedrick

I start with jim dunlop .77 nylon picks a custom dean 9 string with GHS boomer 10-50 set (with doubled 10,13, and a wound 18 on 1 of the G's) with the stock dean pickups (kind of suck) into a vintage rat with the gain set at 1 o'clock, tone at 2 to 3 o'clock and volume at 2 o'clock into an EQ pedal with a slight bump in the low mids, a cut in the mid-mids and the highs set flat, into some modulation pedals, into a peavey VTM 60 low gain input with the pre gain set at 5, post at 9 or 10, low at 6, mid at 5 or 6 and high at 4 and presence at 2. as for the switches i have the low 1 engaged and that's it.

bitter

Justin, are you getting any gain boost from the EQ pedal? Or are you just using it purely to shape the rat?

MichaelZodiac

Peavey T-40  -- GFS Pitchblack clone -- Earthbound Audio Supercollider -- EHX Bassballs -- Ampeg 15" Bass combo.

I roll my T-40 as close to a Rickenbacker sound I can get. The Supercollider is full gain with lots of mids. Ampeg bass combo I put it on the "SVT" setting. The sound doesn't even come close to an SVT (duh) but it gets the job done for now.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

bitter

Can't say I'm surprised that you run the supercollider's gain on full. As a bass player, do you find the gain range a bit lacking? I know I'm not the only guitar player here that isn't totally impressed by the gain range. Just feels best/fullest when gain is cranked.

justinhedrick

Quote from: bitter end on October 28, 2011, 01:44:36 PM
Justin, are you getting any gain boost from the EQ pedal? Or are you just using it purely to shape the rat?

when using my rat i have the gain slider set at the detent. if i use my dano french toast, I boost it up a bit, because the french toast needs some help to get loud enough.

but, to be fair, i guess any frequency boost is a gain boost, no?

bitter

Quote from: justinhedrick on October 28, 2011, 02:02:20 PM
when using my rat i have the gain slider set at the detent. if i use my dano french toast, I boost it up a bit, because the french toast needs some help to get loud enough.

Yes, I thought about mentioning that in my post. At the same time I know some people like to use EQ pedals as a "clean" boost. I was curious if you were boosting the overall signal w/ the eq (in addition to the rat) to hit the input harder. Very nice. I like that you are being responsible with your eq setting and gain amounts. Rest of us just turning everything up to 10 like jerks!!!  :D

justinhedrick

Quote from: bitter end on October 28, 2011, 02:22:20 PM

Yes, I thought about mentioning that in my post. At the same time I know some people like to use EQ pedals as a "clean" boost. I was curious if you were boosting the overall signal w/ the eq (in addition to the rat) to hit the input harder. Very nice. I like that you are being responsible with your eq setting and gain amounts. Rest of us just turning everything up to 10 like jerks!!!  :D

i wish i could turn everything to 10, but it would feedback like CRAZY. i've thought about maxing my eq on the amp, but then where would i go from there?  ???

bitter

Quote from: justinhedrick on October 28, 2011, 03:19:09 PM
i wish i could turn everything to 10, but it would feedback like CRAZY. i've thought about maxing my eq on the amp, but then where would i go from there?  ???

Deaf  ;D

Yeah I have to use a noise gate to get everything under control.

dunwichamps

Quote from: bitter end on October 28, 2011, 02:22:20 PM

let the feedback ring from sea to shining sea!

justinhedrick

Quote from: bitter end on October 28, 2011, 03:30:37 PM
i wish i could turn everything to 10, but it would feedback like CRAZY. i've thought about maxing my eq on the amp, but then where would i go from there?  ???

Deaf  ;D

Yeah I have to use a noise gate to get everything under control.

yeah, i don't think i'd be able to use a noise gate effectively. one more pedal to mess with!

i should also add that i'm thinking of adding a fuzz pedal before my rat to fuzz it up a bit.

moose23

Blue Dunlop Tortex, Fender Jazz or Classic Vibe Squier Jazz bottom four of a 125 5 string set, Korg Pitch black > Dobsky fuzz (my muff tall font based fuzz) vol/tone/mids/sustain all around 12 o'clock> modded phase 90 set around 9 o'clock> tech21 Oxford bass/mids around 3 o'clock, treble at 9,dirt around 1 and character around 2> Trace Elliot PA250 > 1x15 cab

bitter

Those tech21 character pre-amps take pedals pretty well?

moose23

Yeah they do, I keep finding myself dialling back the dirt on them more and more so I get a light overdrive and then hit the muff for the heavy stuff.

MichaelZodiac

Quote from: bitter end on October 28, 2011, 01:59:09 PM
Can't say I'm surprised that you run the supercollider's gain on full. As a bass player, do you find the gain range a bit lacking? I know I'm not the only guitar player here that isn't totally impressed by the gain range. Just feels best/fullest when gain is cranked.
When I first got it, 2 months ago hehe, I didn't go full gain but the more I worked it out when playing together with the band I'm in the more I went full gain. Now it's just full gain with depth, tone & mids varying between noon & full. Volume depends on when & where I'm playing. Usually between noon and 3 o'clock. In the beginning I didn't find it lacking in the gain dept but I needed more definition when playing together.
My home-amp is a Sunn Mustang ST-Bass 30 (70w) but actually the guitarist plays through that one most of the time.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

bitter

Yeah the supercollider has plenty of gain on tap but you right about definition. For me, it's a feel thing. When the gain is dialed back I just can't dig in the same way. Its becoming a bit of a broken record, but the catalinbread manx fuzz has gain that's usable throughout the entire spectrum. Just so much fuller and smoother even with the gain below noon.   

Baltar

So I made this quick video of my return into the world of boosters and tube saturation.  I own a Screaming Tree as well, but alas I've torn it apart and broke one of the legs on the tranny.  So here's the vid, I have two others where I show my board and talk about the cab and amp.  You'll have to email me for those 'cause this vid was a pain in the ass enough to upload.
Jim Dunlop .88 mm sharps
E-Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms .10-.52
Eastwood Corona SG bridge pup GFS '59 PAF
LPB-1
Bogen CHB-50 Watts, 6L6's
4x10 Celestion G10C30's

WARNING THIS VIDEO IS REALLY LOUD!!!

NO REALLY, I MEAN IT, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!!!!
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

VOLVO)))

Sounds so hairy and nice. Killer vid, awesome playing.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Baltar

Thanks bro!  Yeah, it feeds back like a bastard.  I had the Gain, Master, & the LPB-1 pegged.  I'll have to fuck around with it a little more and find the right levels for each.  It's so weird to have a dirty amp after 10 years of the Sunn Sceptre.  That thing demanded a Muff in front of it.

bitter

That sounds fucking gnarly! You dig the lpb-1, I take it?  ;D

^ check yer bmail!!!

VOLVO)))

Well fuck it, this is a dirt thread, check this oot.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Baltar

Here's the first video B.E., takes about 10 mins to upload to youtube.  Basically, just going over my pedals.  I might do a demo of the rest of the board later tonight.

Baltar

Here's the amp vid.  I didn't go over the controls, left to right are:

Gain (MIC 1)
Input 2
AUX 1&2 (these two pots are non-functional)
Master VOL
Bass
Treble

bitter

Applauds to both Sunn and Baltar for putting them on the glass. What kind of cameras you guys using to take videos??? Anyone got recommendation for video cams that shoot hi def and have a good mics for loud gear demos? I've tried audacity in the past, sm57 clone direct into the cpu, but it always clipped after about 5-10 sec. of recording.