Tube suggestions for Laney AOR

Started by yesca, October 23, 2011, 08:55:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yesca

You guys have any tube suggestions for a 100watt Laney AOR? the last set i had in there were 12AX7/EL34's and i wanna try something else. I play different stuff from stoner/doom to just some clean stuff with effects and just jamming.

Hemisaurus

If you want super clean, change your AX's to AU's and fit some KT's instead of EL's :D

Seriously though, look at Eurotubes retube set with 12AX's and KT77's

dunwichamps

Quote from: yesca on October 23, 2011, 08:55:00 PM
You guys have any tube suggestions for a 100watt Laney AOR? the last set i had in there were 12AX7/EL34's and i wanna try something else. I play different stuff from stoner/doom to just some clean stuff with effects and just jamming.

your output choices are

EL34s (all brands), E34Ls (a slight tweak from JJ), 6CA7s from JJ, KT77s, KT66s (going to change your output impedance but they work), and 6L6s

Now in the preamp you gotta ask yourself what kind of clean headroom you want, that will shape the pretubes selection

VOLVO)))

Kt77's are where it's at. Transformed my 800.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Oooh, a pair of KT-88's would also be a good option, using a pair of '88's means you stll get 100W, and you don't mess up the impedance. Think Sunn (the amp, not the weird dude from swampsville ;) )

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 23, 2011, 10:37:54 PM
Oooh, a pair of KT-88's would also be a good option, using a pair of '88's means you stll get 100W, and you don't mess up the impedance. Think Sunn (the amp, not the weird dude from swampsville ;) )

yea a pair of 88s will work 2 if u have the clearance

Hemisaurus

You could put them as the outer pair, if you have width issues, last Laney I had on my bench was an AOR50, I think it ended up in Iowa, or Idaho. Height wise I think there only be .5 cm or so in it.

HeavyEar

Can he run 6550's? That's a great tube. The 88's are reeeeaaally linear, or clinical or something but yeay they're loud. Eurotubes (Portland, OR area) has a nice page of the JJ line. Long time SUNN player too.
"searching in the sun for another overload"

dunwichamps

Quote from: HeavyEar on October 23, 2011, 11:12:30 PM
Can he run 6550's? That's a great tube. The 88's are reeeeaaally linear, or clinical or something but yeay they're loud. Eurotubes (Portland, OR area) has a nice page of the JJ line. Long time SUNN player too.

a pair of 6550s

88s have massive low end, not nearly as middy as 34s

Hemisaurus

I think you'd only get 60-70W with a pair of 6550's, they can do more but you'd need to monkey with the plate voltage. I think drop-in the 88's would do near the hundred.

VOLVO)))

Herb runs most of his amps on Corn™
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

No man, I run the tour vehicles on corn. I run the amps on wind, there's a new wind generator just down the road. In fact a guy along the road has his own personal one he put up in his backyard.

http://208.124.118.152:8085/popup.html?0

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 23, 2011, 11:30:27 PM
I think you'd only get 60-70W with a pair of 6550's, they can do more but you'd need to monkey with the plate voltage. I think drop-in the 88's would do near the hundred.

yea this sounds about right. Plate in this amps is usually around 450 (my assumption) as most 100W marshall amps run in this ballpark

Hemisaurus

Y'know you can get 100W out of a pair of EL34's :o

800V plate 11Kohm secondary ;D check the datasheet examples.

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 24, 2011, 12:18:29 AM
Y'know you can get 100W out of a pair of EL34's :o

800V plate 11Kohm secondary ;D check the datasheet examples.

I am waiting for someone to build something like that.

However lol you would probably get arcing on the tube sockets (ala the Marshall Pigs) and the power supply would be nuts,

dunwichamps

Quote from: Hemisaurus on October 24, 2011, 12:30:07 AM

Built in 1972 ;D

you said a pair of EL34s!!!!!

blasphemy.

Looks kool, something of yours?

yesca

hmmm ive always been doin some tone chasing for Colour Haze i really dig his clean to fuzz/distortion tones

justinhedrick

mawso

I put JJ E34Ls in my 6 knob AOR 100 and I'm pretty happy with that choice, tho it's not like i've had every other octal socket tube in the history of the world in there to compare it to.

aowron

Hijacking the thread a bit...

Would it be possible to put Kt77:s in a Laney GH50L? My impression of the AOR compared to the GH*L is that they are pretty much the same amps (with a few different features).

Also, would KT77's make the distortion of the amp sound less "raspy"? Or could that be achieved by getting rid of the bright cap?

mawso

Quote from: aowron on November 06, 2011, 09:51:38 AM

Would it be possible to put Kt77:s in a Laney GH50L? My impression of the AOR compared to the GH*L is that they are pretty much the same amps (with a few different features).

Also, would KT77's make the distortion of the amp sound less "raspy"? Or could that be achieved by getting rid of the bright cap?

in my experience, changing the power tubes doesn't make a huge difference unless you are really cranking the power section of the amp.  never really played a gh50l but i'd expect that going from EL34s to KT77s should give a little bit warmer/tighter low end when you have the master up high.

aowron

Quote from: mawso on November 06, 2011, 11:08:20 AM
Quote from: aowron on November 06, 2011, 09:51:38 AM

in my experience, changing the power tubes doesn't make a huge difference unless you are really cranking the power section of the amp.  never really played a gh50l but i'd expect that going from EL34s to KT77s should give a little bit warmer/tighter low end when you have the master up high.

Running the master somewhere around 7-8 to get that nice poweramp tube saturation. Sounds like kt77:s might be interesting then. So pre-amp tube wise, what tubes should I look for to lower the "harshness" in the tone?

EDIT: I'm currently using Sovtek 12ax7:s in the preamp. Anyone tried those EHX 12ax7:s? I remember some interview with Wino where he mentions that they give the amp a kind of fuzzy character.

yesca

i ended up getting the kt77's for my power tubes and i could hear a difference right away. sounds great and a lot more low end. i made a little demo the day they got to my house.

http://soundcloud.com/bigfrankwalk/kt77-tube-test

i apologize for the playing as i didn't have a game plan when i hit record. also at some points i was switching between the neck and bridge pickup.

aowron

Quote from: yesca on November 06, 2011, 03:42:20 PM
i ended up getting the kt77's for my power tubes and i could hear a difference right away. sounds great and a lot more low end. i made a little demo the day they got to my house.

http://soundcloud.com/bigfrankwalk/kt77-tube-test

i apologize for the playing as i didn't have a game plan when i hit record. also at some points i was switching between the neck and bridge pickup.

I just got a total toneboner for kt77:s...