Sunn tell me about your peavey cab.

Started by justinhedrick, August 31, 2011, 09:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

The 4x12 that my Model T sits under?

It's a Peavey stereo cab, 16 ohms mono, 8 ohms stereo, made of birch/MDF back, has those sweet sheffied's that are supposed to sound like broken in GT-75s. Awesome cabs, always cheap because people don't like Peaveys. It's the same as a 1960A, but instead of 16/4 ohm switchable, it's 16, 8/8 per set, if you want to run two heads. Solid cabs.

I have to keep posting that picture.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

justinhedrick

right on. do you like the way it sounds? how's the low end response? farty at all?

i want a cheap-ish 4x12 that sounds good (story of my life!).

it's probably heavy as balls, right?

VOLVO)))

Yes, love it. It's got tight low end. Sealed back, front loaded. I use it from doom to grindcore always sounds great. about 80 pounds...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Justin, have a look at H&K 4x12's they're pretty cheap, I know a couple of people who have them. One traded his for a Peavey cab with Sheffields, and doesn't like the sound of his Peavey, then again he's the icepick in your ears type. Or are you needing a straight cab?
http://quadcities.craigslist.org/msg/2536056367.html
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/msg/2574196414.html
http://chambana.craigslist.org/msg/2566895294.html

Jake

I had a bottom version of that cab. Always like the metal grill to protect the speakers. The Sheffields sounded pretty good too. Solid cab all the way.
poop.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 01, 2011, 11:52:41 AM
Justin, have a look at H&K 4x12's they're pretty cheap, I know a couple of people who have them. One traded his for a Peavey cab with Sheffields, and doesn't like the sound of his Peavey, then again he's the icepick in your ears type. Or are you needing a straight cab?

i don't need a straight cab, i won't be stacking it, and i don't ever notice any tonal difference . . .

Hemisaurus

See linkies, if you're just after a cheap 4x12, Bob had one, want me to ask him about it?

fallen

Peavey has made a huge variety of cab variations over the years and came out with some really interesting stuff that sounds different than your standard Marshall 4x12 guitar cab that everyone else has.

And like was said above nobody wants a '70s or '80s Peavy so it's easy to pick them up for cheap.

I've got a '70s 6x10 that was from one of those guitar amp, bass amp, PA all in the same head setups that were briefly popular. It sounds great and has a tight low end.

I also have an '80s 2x12 that's shaped like a deep 4x12 with the two speakers at the top and a big bass reflex port in the bottom of the cab with a 45 degree board.

Google images pics:

justinhedrick

fallen,
i have the SAME 2x12 at a buddy's house (unloaded). do you use it for guitar? i was going to have a new baffle cut for it and put 2x15s in there.

fallen

I use them both for guitar.

I think the 2X12 would sound good with 15s and for sure doesn't have that dead dry sound of modern sealed and ported 2x15 bass cabinets.

Realistically it sounds open like a 2X12 combo propped up near a wall but with way more "boom" and lots of low end, but it's a loose low end.

I would pop some speakers in it and give it a listen to see if you like it.

Jake

A buddy of mine has a giant ported 4x12 guitar cab that absolutely melts faces.

poop.

RAGER

another discounted name.  but I will never get rid of this cab.  3/4 ply 80's G12K-85's heavy as balls.  Sometimes I run my OR120 through it.........

fuggedaboutit
No Focus Pocus

SpaceTrucker

Man it must has been the aor 60 I played thru, cause those Sheffield  speakers were instant Ice Pick. I mean BAD sounding. All high mids and icepick and little harmonic content. I guess it all depends on the amp. Or me Pulling the mid boost and cranking the fucker. 8)

Discö Rice

I used to have that same cabinet, SunnO))). I sold it to buy drum gear, but I loved that fucker.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

Lumpy

I've got a Peavey MS412 with Celestions (the G12K-85s or whatever Rager said) I found two of these cabs for like 150 bucks each on Craigs List (I sold one, when that world tour didn't pan out). Sturdy-ass cab will outlive all of us, but the speakers are a little bit too scooped for my particular setup (I like a lot of mids). These are good cabs for low $$$.

One cab had a silver Peavey zap logo, the other one was gold (that was a Butcher cab maybe?) I took the logos off though.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

nonoman

I bought that same cab as SunnO))) with blown sheffields in it and a buddy sold me a new set of gt-75s. Sounds great.
No good deed goes unpunished.

VOLVO)))

Lol, we all play Peavey.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

Quote from: Lumpy on September 03, 2011, 02:01:29 PM

One cab had a silver Peavey zap logo, the other one was gold (that was a Butcher cab maybe?) I took the logos off though.

I saw a sticker on a bathroom wall at a club in Pittsburgh that said "You can take the logo off, but it's still a Peavey."

As much as I like Peavey, it was still super funny because (almost) everyone takes the logo off.
poop.

Hemisaurus

I thought they just fell off? All my Peavey stuff is used, only 1 cab had it's logo on when I bought it.

spookstrickland

I really dig those old 70's peavey cabs with the aluminum stripe looking stuff on the sides I think they are very cool I wish I had a few of them.  I know I really dig the heck out of my VTX Head!
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Hemisaurus

There's some other type of Peavey cab?

Lumpy

Quote from: Hemisaurus on September 03, 2011, 11:19:30 PM
I thought they just fell off? All my Peavey stuff is used, only 1 cab had it's logo on when I bought it.

Nah, the logos are screwed in.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.