best sounding high gain solid state guitar amps for metal?

Started by liquidsmoke, August 29, 2011, 01:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemisaurus

Quote from: bitter on April 25, 2012, 11:59:30 AM
^ I've considered doing something like that, albeit with more reasonable wattage. When it comes to SS and metal, I wish tech21 built a rack unit for their sansamp gt2.
Well 1500W is the bridged spec, if you just run one channel, I think it's about 300W into 8 ohm and 450W into 4 (700W into 2), if you have 16 ohm cabs, you'll get about 220W or so I'd imagine. If you're running modern 4x12's where each speaker handles at least 75W or so, one 4x12 can handle that fine. You can make a stereo rig if you like. Solid state poweramps are so cheap. Run stereo full stacks, push 900W.

VOLVO)))

Last night, I noticed, the Melvins had zero tubes on stage. Sunn PB-10s for Buzz, and two big solid state poweramps, Emperor 4x12s. Bassist used Beta basses preamped out to big Ol poweramps, and some Monolith cabs.

Sounded tight. Unsane used the Melvin's shit.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

grimniggzy

Hemisaurus

Thumbs up for the hex inverter.

this is the Beta sound.

bitter

Quote from: Hemisaurus on April 25, 2012, 02:35:06 PM
Quote from: bitter on April 25, 2012, 11:59:30 AM
^ I've considered doing something like that, albeit with more reasonable wattage. When it comes to SS and metal, I wish tech21 built a rack unit for their sansamp gt2.
Well 1500W is the bridged spec, if you just run one channel, I think it's about 300W into 8 ohm and 450W into 4 (700W into 2), if you have 16 ohm cabs, you'll get about 220W or so I'd imagine. If you're running modern 4x12's where each speaker handles at least 75W or so, one 4x12 can handle that fine. You can make a stereo rig if you like. Solid state poweramps are so cheap. Run stereo full stacks, push 900W.

I could handle that currently (16 ohms W/ 4 vintage 30 clones ~240 watts), but I don't think I need quite that much power. 150 watts would prolly be more reasonable. At least for my needs.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

grimniggzy

Hemisaurus

Quote from: bitter on April 25, 2012, 02:58:32 PM

I could handle that currently (16 ohms W/ 4 vintage 30 clones ~240 watts), but I don't think I need quite that much power. 150 watts would prolly be more reasonable. At least for my needs.
[/quote]
Don't turn up the gain then. I have a >3000W amp, one channel of which currently drive 2 300W subs, they haven't blown, because I have the gain halfway up :)

bitter

That could actually work. I need to run my behringer preamp (gt2 clone) into the power section of my main amp and see what kind of headroom it gets. I usually keep the gain low for pedal use because the mic/cab modeling portion colors the sound a bit.

liquidsmoke

Anyone here ever play through or own one of the old Laney Linebacker 50 or 100 SS heads? I never knew these existed until tonight so I'm very curious about them. I suspect the preamp gain sucks but as a pedal amp they could be cool, at least the 100 watter anyway. Laney makes a new SS head but they are probably not anything special for the price(over $300).

Discö Rice

"production suspended until further notice" is a big red flag.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

bitter

I mentioned this earlier but with a gt-2 preamp pedal + rack poweramp.

Still a good choice. I like the heavy tones available from the gt-2 style preamp.

liquidsmoke

It gets really good reviews, might actually sound too tubey for me. I guess it's basically an analog modeling amp, weird. I've also read that it's really picky about cabs and speakers and they made a cab for it that was designed not to color the sound.

All I really need is an amp with a good clean channel for the TightMetal. I think the idea that I might find a SS head with usable preamp distortion is a fantasy.

I'm even boring myself going on and on about this. Need to just pull the trigger on something that has a good clean channel.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Those Ampegs are fairly rare, right now I can't find any online for sale as was the case when I looked a time or two before. I'm pretty skeptical of Crates although as was mentioned earlier in this thread, the G130C is said to be very similar to the VH-140C. Was just reading that the 'SS' Ampegs are similar to the VH but with less gain and also that the Crate GTX and VTX have the VH circuit.

In other news, Randall is coming out with a new 3 channel RG called the RG1503 that is said to have more gain than the old RGs. No price announced yet. Could be awesome but I suspect it will sound generic.

edited so the info is more correct

Hemisaurus

Our old guitarist from rhe punk band, is in a straight metal band, he had the VH-140, sold it, uses this

As to the G-130, Bob's is still running from the 80's, and one channel was enough to blow away a Peavey XXL. I've even used it for bass.

liquidsmoke

I think the '80s Crates were better built than the new ones although the G130C is said to use cheaper parts than the VH-140C.

Going to check out a local Craigslist Laney GH-120(solid state from the '90s, rare in the US) and no name 4x12 slant for $300 in a bit here.

moose23

If you're liking the tight metal would you not just pick up a solid state power amp, you'd make Hemi and myself happy.

VOLVO)))

Ill run a metal zone through a 600 watt poweramp tonight. We'll see what's up.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

moose23

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 04, 2012, 02:55:39 PM

Bet it sounds shite.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: moose23 on May 04, 2012, 03:37:55 PM
Quote from: SunnO))) on May 04, 2012, 02:55:39 PM

Bet it sounds shite.

Betcha I can make it sound decent/good.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

eddiefive10

It's been years since I heard or played through one but back in the late 90's the original Marshall valvestates with the tube preamp sounded pretty damn good

mutantcolors

Pretty certain the later, if not all the Death albums were SS Marshalls.