Shubb Robert Randolph Steel?

Started by RacerX, August 26, 2011, 06:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerX

What's up with these? There are 2 models. I'm currently using a Stevens bar, no cutaway, no bullet tip, and these look like a burlier version of that, so I'm interested. More mass = more sustain, right?

http://www.shubb.com/randolph/

Yeah, this one's pretty much for Chovie D, but if anyone else has feedback on this steel, feel free to comment.
Livin' The Life.

neighbor664

It may be technically wrong but I found using a bar too tough on my weak wrists. I've been using my regular brass slide with my lap steel  and it's been working out well.

RacerX

Besides the lap/pedal-specific bars, I've tried mine with a glass slide, a brass slide and the handle of a 10" forged steel adjustable wrench. The wrench kicks the guitar slides' asses—notes are more robust & focused, and they sustain longer.

Most of that effect is because of the greater mass. Think of the bar as a heavy, moveable "neck bridge" rather than a slide, and you'll get the idea.
Livin' The Life.

Chovie D

short answer: they are for pedal steel not lap steel

I have both the randolph bars. Due to their weight, and considerable legth they are designed more for pedal steel than for lap steel. The extra length is to cover ten strings instead of only 6. They are heavier than your stevens bar so that you get adequate pressure over more strings which helps for sustain and vibrato on a pedal steel, when playing more than one note at a time (chords).

For lap steel I would recommend a grooved stevens bar that looks like this

the randolph bars will be problematic on lap steel mostly due to their length.
I do not like rounded tips on my lap steel bars and the randolphs arent rounded either.
When I play single notes (soloing) I lift the back of the bar and just play with the tip, Im holdng the bar almost like a pencil. This allows you to get some speed and movement, and frankly...just sound more 'guitar" like.. a rounded tip is less effective for me doing that technique. Watch Roberts bar hand and you can see him lifting the back of the bar....in short, these are designed specifically for rock soloing on a psg but have the xtra weight and length so yu can also play pedal steel chords and do more trad psg stuff . for example, in a rock ballad with a big rock ending i might use one...i can play all the trad weepy steel stuff during the verses and when its time for the bombastic ending i can hit the distortion and rock out and solo a bit.

Chovie D

actually I just fucked around with the lighter RR bar on my fender lap and it wasnt horrible. You just dont need all that length.

bitter

Hey Chovie, question about that clip. I def noticed him using the tip when soloing, but whats he doing with that vertical bar against his right thigh? Does that manipulate the action or something?
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

RacerX

Right on. I guess I'll stick w/my Stevens bar.

bitter end, those are the knee levers. They and the pedals are used to add or release tension to certain strings to change the tuning on the fly and do bends.
Livin' The Life.

bitter

Ok, I kinda knew about the levers orientated out front, but I haven't seen one on the side like that before. Very cool. Steel players are the shit. Very haunting and heartbreaking instrument.
Oh Andy I'm gonna go over to mount pilot and worship Satan

VOLVO)))

Heartbreaking because you need a grand+ to get a decent one JUST TO START. I've been chasing one for almost two years. I love seeing it used out of context, too...

Chovis, what ever happened to doomsteel guy? I can't find that video for the life of me.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Chovie D

Its true you need at least a grand to get one thats playable. My main steel was $900, add bar, volume pedal, seat, shit even the strings are $10 a pack. Check this out my brothers...I wouldnt recommend this for the new intiate to steelin but I bought a fender 800 that the guy said was "broken" for $500. It wasnt broken, guy just had it setup wrong, but it had no knee levers and you need those to play modern stuff(by modern I mean anything beyond 1959). So I made and installed four knee levers with scraps laying around the machine shop here at work. There is a nice shop here. here are some of the raw unfinished parts. im gonna guess the finished cost to be $550 and it plays just like my modern steel,tho it weighs about 50 pounds more :(

and here is the underside fo the guitar, everything that looks shiny and chromey is what i installed.

Sunn0))))))
here is the video, Mr. Chas Smith, he lives in LA and does film soundtarcks..."Saw" was one of his I beleive...
I talked to Chas ab it, he builds his own custom steels w/ very unique tunings , string #'s and copedants, and the sound at the beginning is a sheet of glass being dragged up the strings...

I know steels seem expensive, but they are still cheaper than a Les Paul.
Les Paul standard...what? $1200-1500 used?

and finally some insipration for the lap players who cannot shell out the $1K for a psg., notice the bar hand tilting again for the single notes...look at how much time his bar spends OFF the strings and using just the tip...those hammer-ons and shit...awesome.
Jackson Brownes "running on empty" can be found in any used record store for 50m cents and has this guy all over it. Good teacher for lap that album...

more lap goodness from Lindleys inspiration..Mr. Roulette. Notice again the titlted bar but also the slants to get minor chords.

and still more from Hank III's steeler Andy Gibson,first solo at around the 1 min mark