Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive aka the Ol' Dirty Bastard

Started by clockwork green, August 21, 2011, 10:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clockwork green

I was looking for some crap in our studio the other day and I came across my old Boss ODB-3 and I realized that I've never actually played in through my Beta Lead in the time I've owned it.  I figured if Buzzo like it so much I'd give it a try.  I've tried it before with guitar and through my Matamp and didn't quite like it so much but that's probably because I ran my Matamp dirty and dirt pedals into dirty amps rarely work (but when they do it can be pretty amazing).  I've got to say that the Sunn/ODB is a pretty cool combo.  The mid's are a bit scooped but the bass is big and deep and works for palm mutes and the treble control is quite useful and gets some upper-mids in there.  There's a lot of gain on tap so screaming solos work if that's your thing but for rhythm is does a good job of capturing Buzz's live tone pretty well. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

the diddler

How much gain are you getting from the amp- or do you run it pretty clean and get all the dirt from the ODB?

Baltar

If I play through it, will I have the urge to wear Hot Topic Mu-mu's and become jealous of Nirvana's success?  Maybe talk only about myself in an MC5 documentary?  Bottom line, will it make me a pretentious cunt like King Buzzo?  If so, I'll just stick with my MKII clone.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

Lumpy

Quote from: Baltar on August 22, 2011, 08:22:07 AM
If I play through it, will I have the urge to wear Hot Topic Mu-mu's and become jealous of Nirvana's success?  Maybe talk only about myself in an MC5 documentary?  Bottom line, will it make me a pretentious cunt like King Buzzo?  If so, I'll just stick with my MKII clone.

Dude, not at all. It's a Boss, it's about as unpretentious as you can get.
Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Hemisaurus

If he's so worried about maintaing a low self image, might i recommend

$24 and your reputation intact.

Baltar

Sorry guys, sometimes I just gotta vent.  Back to topic.  I fully endorse Boss, they're great pedals to mod.  I've done the Spider mod to the DS-1 and it was killer fun.  My first dirtbox was the ROD-10, had 1, 2, 3 pre-set OD levels, DS-1 and FZ-2, plus a 3band EQ.  I highly suggest anyone pick one up if you see one.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

clockwork green

Quote from: the diddler on August 22, 2011, 05:18:49 AM
How much gain are you getting from the amp- or do you run it pretty clean and get all the dirt from the ODB?
I ran the amp really clean. It took a little bit of volume to get it to sound it's best but that's true with pretty much all amps.

Discö Rice

Contrary to what Lumpy said about turning the gain down, I think those things have a killer tone with the gain cranked. Not just a growl, but a full on roar. I guess it depends on your gear.
Somebody's gonna eat my pussy or I'm gonna cut your fucking throat.

grimniggzy

Quote from: Discö Rice on August 22, 2011, 01:48:58 PM
Contrary to what Lumpy said about turning the gain down, I think those things have a killer tone with the gain cranked. Not just a growl, but a full on roar. I guess it depends on your gear.

For guitar it sounds fine cranked. IMO for bass, if the gains put past 1/4 of the way up it's unusable and I actually prefer it rolled all the way off.

Metal and Beer

I've found that too much gain gets lost in a loud raging band but sounds badass alone/recorded. It shines as mainly just a boost with a sprinkle of gain IMO..
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

clockwork green

For bass I found that the more gain I used the more clean I would add in order keep the lows nice and tight.

Jake

Maybe I'm a Melvins fanboy, but I happen to think that Buzzo is not a pretentious cunt. He not bashful with his opinions, but why should he be? By consistently making interesting records (since what, 1985?), he's earned it.

PS: I've always thought that the ODB-30 is the best bass dirt pedal out there. Really can bring the under thunder.
poop.

justinhedrick

Quote from: Jake on August 23, 2011, 02:33:55 AM

Maybe I'm a Melvins fanboy, but I happen to think that Buzzo is not a pretentious cunt. He not bashful with his opinions, but why should he be? By consistently making interesting records (since what, 1985?), he's earned it.

PS: I've always thought that the ODB-30 is the best bass dirt pedal out there. Really can bring the under thunder.

i just always thought buzzo was just weird?

under thunder! ha! that sounds like a good name for a fat chick p0rn.

Chovie D

I own one and liked it alot for bass. its great to be able to mix in cleans with bass so you dont loose thump or punch...
on guitar, never nbothered. i used a DS2 trubo overdrive for years...boss ...it is what it is. which is in my opinion, decent (not corksniffing but decent) easily attainable tones in an indestructible case for cheapish...

the early roland phaser i got is one of my faves too...