Main Menu

Tour survival tricks

Started by chille01, August 18, 2011, 09:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chille01

Just ready to head out for 8 shows in 9 days tomorrow.  I know that isn't a real epic schedule, but we typically squeeze every ounce of boozing and partying in that we can. Bedtime seems to be consistent at about 5am, and we're back in the van by 9:30am. After even 10 days of that, you start to feel it. 

What's your ritual to stay sane on the road?  For me, it's putting food in my stomach immediately on waking. I usually have a banana and a breakfast bar of some type before I even get out of bed.  Then water until lunchtime, and a couple of curative beers in the afternoon. A nap of we get to the band accoms early enough, but usually we don't.

I th

Hemisaurus

I play straight, I drive straight.

The first I owe myself and the audience, the second the other road users.

The rest is made up as we go along ;D

chille01

For sure... I should make it clear that whoever is driving is NOT drinking... and nobody is having more than a couple before or during the show.  We get into all of our trouble in the 1am-5am window.

Derelict78

I also noticed when possible make alone time for yourself(other than sleeping). every day while on tour I give myself an hour to chill by myself usually just meditate . BREAKFAST!

clockwork green

The more water you drink the more booze you can drink especially before bed to fight off hangovers. I wish we were going on tour...have fun and fuck shit up.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

mawso

Quote from: Derelict78 on August 19, 2011, 02:52:22 AM
I also noticed when possible make alone time for yourself(other than sleeping). every day while on tour I give myself an hour to chill by myself usually just meditate . BREAKFAST!

everyone gets along better when everyone has some fap tiem

mortlock

settle any blowouts you have with another bandmate right then and there. dont let shit linger around. dont have an ego..

neighbor664

Research the drug laws for the state you are visiting. Be diligent about conspicuous paraphernalia and your stash in the van. You should have one central location for everything and plan for searches. They will happen.
I'd suggest even if you are not camping bring some camping gear. An airtight bear canister is a great stash spot and less conspicuous if you also have a tent.

Don't squander your time getting too wasted. You can get drink and drugs at home, no? You are traveling to somewhere new. TAKE IT IN. If it's in the budget, make sure to have one meal that is distinct to the city you are playing in. See the sights.

You should be trying to get meal guaranties from the venues you are booking. IF they agree, they will probably want to give you pizza. One night of pizza is fine, but you don't want to be in a van with others after a week straight of pizza and crap food.

I'll think of more.

mortlock

Quote from: neighbor664 on August 19, 2011, 10:16:29 AM
Research the drug laws for the state you are visiting. Be diligent about conspicuous paraphernalia and your stash in the van. You should have one central location for everything and plan for searches. They will happen.
I'd suggest even if you are not camping bring some camping gear. An airtight bear canister is a great stash spot and less conspicuous if you also have a tent.

Don't squander your time getting too wasted. You can get drink and drugs at home, no? You are traveling to somewhere new. TAKE IT IN. If it's in the budget, make sure to have one meal that is distinct to the city you are playing in. See the sights.

You should be trying to get meal guaranties from the venues you are booking. IF they agree, they will probably want to give you pizza. One night of pizza is fine, but you don't want to be in a van with others after a week straight of pizza and crap food.

I'll think of more.
i can eat alot of pizza..dont underestimate it..

spookstrickland

Make sure you have a good personal sized flashlight on you at all times.  They are great for finding your way in the dark in unfamiliar place, digging through your gig back in dark clubs and for finding your keys in the middle of the night in a pitch black parking lot.

A good solid knife or multitool is also a must.

Get some good Food Bars like Balance Bars that have high Protein content so that you don't spike your sugar up then crash latter. 

Never turn down a chance to use the bathroom or a shower on the road.

I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Worthless Willie

Herion.

You should also bring along a midget...for good measure.
What happens between me and Steve Vegas and him and my wife and me and his goat is our own goddam business. Butt the fuck out. - Jeff Smith

clockwork green

Quote from: Worthless Willie on August 19, 2011, 02:53:48 PM
Herion.

You should also bring along a midget...for good measure.
...so that's what midgets are for, measuring things. It all makes so much more sense now.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

Chovie D

i drank and ate road food the entire time non stop ad nevr got any sleep. every day i felt like I was going to shit myself and die..so I gues my advice is to not do those things.

rayinreverse

Avoid brown truck stop food.

spookstrickland

A well stocked first aid kit with lots of Anti-Diarrhea medicine and things like that is worth it's wait in gold.  McDonald's and Wendy's are usually a safe place to eat no matter where you are.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

eyeprod

I always make an effort to eat well before I start drinking. Never have done more than 3 days on the road myself. One of these days maybe I'll get a chance to do a couple of weeks, then I'm going to refer to this thread. Getting food in your gut first thing in the morning is crucial when you got trashed the night before, but bananas usually induce vomiting for me, even if I'm not that ill. I can never go wrong with a hearty breakfast of eggs, meat, bread, coffee and juice.
CV - Slender Fungus

VOLVO)))

Things I carry, even if I'm not on tour:

Tool kit: screwdrivers, ratchets/sockets/box wrenches, wire strippers, soldering iron, solder, NEEDLE AND THREAD, 4-5 rolls of electrical tape, two rolls of duct tape, wire crimps, fishing line, zip ties, hacksaw blades, razor blades, razor knife, sharpening stones of varying degrees, contact cleaner, WD-40, extra cable, extra tips, extra power supplies, extra strings, and extra knobs. (fucking hate exposed pot shafts.) All of this fits in a little military style shoulder satchel. It's my truck bag, I keep it in there at all times next to a few chemicals, a bat, and a handgun.

...and a multitool. I never go anywhere without my multitool. Get a good one. you will thank yourself, later. I've changed alternators, starters, fuel filters, pretty much everything you can get to without ratchet extensions, with my multitool. Best 100 bucks I ever spent.

On tour, That kit would go with me everywhere. Additional things I'd have:

Extra underwear, socks
A RELIABLE amp that can serve as a backup for both guitar and bass, I'd take a Sunn concert lead, personally, enough power for bass, and guitar, and not bad tone to boot. A Crate Powerblock, also would suffice, DI enabled, 8 ohm minimum load, and has no tone of it's own.
Credit card, extra physical cash
GET ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. It's only a few bucks extra a month through various insurance companies, Verizon wireless even fucking offers it.
I'd also take a small assortment of parts that usually go bad, or will end up getting you stupid tickets. Extra headlight bulbs, tag lights, tail lights, spark plugs, a battery terminal or two. A jug of coolant should already be in the vehicle, anyways, that...
Knife, a good, sharp, solid knife.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Pundan

I gotta say it's fascinating to read all this. Coming from a small country in Europe it's not hard for us to travel anywhere really, and in the US you guys do huge mileage. I feel really spoiled, :-\ really like to go there sometime though.

Hemisaurus

Yeah, but a lot of the roads in Europe aren't great, though I imagine there has been improvements in the last 15 years. Just meaning in the US you can actually figure on going 60 miles in an hour, so long distances are more feasible, but yeah the driving is a bitch  :)

VOLVO)))

Welcome to my keychain... I'm such a homosexual.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

I've got half of one. Someone broke it off and left it in one of the places we played ;D

Learning how to setup your instrument is good practice, unless you take your tech with you on tour. You won't be able to drop it off at the shop between gigs.

VOLVO)))

Chip from the Body needs that advice, I stayed up until 3AM working on his Gretsch after a show. That was the most clusterfucked wiring I have EVER seen.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

Not only a self confessed homosexual, but also a big pussycat to boot ;)

You're just too sweet, I'd have left it, then again I'm a self confessed curmudgeon ;D

VOLVO)))

I have a thing for dudes in gasmasks, Scottish dudes.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hemisaurus

I'd hook you up with my brother, but I don't think your his type :-\