Main Menu

New Gear Acquisitions

Started by Barnabas, December 19, 2010, 04:23:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eoin_not_ian

I suppose I'll probably use a dirt pedal or two, but yeah the description of it has delivering a really powerful clean tone was appealing. Only thing going against it was the fact that its either 2 or 4 ohms. I have two 8 ohm cabs, so that means full stack at all times. Would have loved a v8, Sunn 300T or old school Ampeg but price and availability etc.

clockwork green

Not a very big purchase but when I saw pics made out of mammoth ivory I had to get one.

I also got Superior Drummer but I haven't messed with it yet.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

xayk

Quote from: clockwork green on March 09, 2013, 10:12:06 PM
Not a very big purchase but when I saw pics made out of mammoth ivory I had to get one.

How are you digging it? I've been using 2-3mm bone and horn picks for a few years, but mammoth ivory is certainly more interesting.

clockwork green

It's just like other highly polished bone, hard and chimey and very slippery. I actually like the Red Bear and Blue Chip picks a lot. I don't really wear them out so while they are really expensive for picks I take care of them so they last years for me. They have an interesting way they grip the strings, very subtle but I notice it so that's all I need.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

eoin_not_ian

Finally got the thing!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mr. Foxen

Beasty. Gonna open it? Curious as to guts.

tossom

My basstard brother.  I will encourage him to post pics to your new fb page.
"Beige rock"

eoin_not_ian

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on March 10, 2013, 06:01:19 PM
Beasty. Gonna open it? Curious as to guts.

I could try though I'm not exactly experienced in the matter. I'm pushed for time at work and uni at the minute but I'll definitely open it in the next few weeks for you. I think someone on talkbass a while ago had a picture up but its not a full on guts picture.http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/show-your-trace-elliot-guts-610670/

I'm pretty sure its all PCB though. The 6 KT88s are set out in an L shape, for what that is worth. Seems like a Fender tone stack with 2 - 10 -2 type 'flat' setting. Apparently its a fairly clean amp but I won't find out until Wednesday when I can actually use it at any volume. Its not a Matamp but as a first valve amp its not a bad start.

Edited as I confused PCP and PCB which is indicative of my mindset at the present time.

RacerX

Livin' The Life.

justinhedrick

nice racer. How much was it?

RacerX

You guys are gonna kick me out of the Heavy club: I traded my 80's Aria Pro II Flying V for that Yamaha 12-string & a brand new Samick Orchestra size 6-string to beat on.

I swear I couldn't help it. I heard some dude trying to tune it, and even with the tuning whack, it sounded VERY interesting. Waited for the guy to put it down, tuned it to DADGAD & hit the open chord, and I was in love. Been playing her all Saturday night & Sunday. I should be banging on that Samick to get it opened up a bit, but I've been giving that task a lick & a promise.

I'll get some samples up because this thing is the sweetest sounding acoustic I've ever owned. Rich tone, overtones out the ass, rings forfuckingever. Ah'm in lurve.
Livin' The Life.

Corey Y

Came in on Friday, custom built bass preamp from Nick at Dunwich Amps. It's an Acoustic Control Corp 140/150 style preamp, with a modified tone stack and switchable effects loop. It's meant primarily to be a platform for dirt pedals, the preamp itself is pretty clean.

I did some demos of it, through a power amp into a cab and direct with cab sim.

https://soundcloud.com/corey-y/dunwich-amps-bass-preamp-clean

https://soundcloud.com/corey-y/dunwich-amps-bass-preamp

https://soundcloud.com/corey-y/dunwich-bass-preamp-rat-blend

VOLVO)))

Oooooo, I watched that shit on the Facebook the whole time it was being built!
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dunwichamps

ugly ass preamp i built, but good tonez. You are the god of demos tho

dogfood

Problem solving whiskey!

dogfood

1977 LP Custom in Red Wine (secretly I wish it were Oxblood).  Made in Kalamazoo.  Big ass neck.  Sounds like heaven unplugged.  Needs some love.
Problem solving whiskey!

mortlock

VOLVO)))

fuck I am jealous about the LP. Send it to me for that love :D

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

dogfood

Already have Faber locking studs, alum tail piece, and locking bridge on the way.  All in banana.  Next, pups. Then will go the RS Guitarworks route and replace the pots and caps.  And, the tuners ain't all that.  I'm going to try to get along with them, try.
Problem solving whiskey!

VOLVO)))

Those are Schaller M6s. I want them if you don't want them.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

I have the same tuners on my '70s LPC. Do they say "GIBSON" on them? Of all the guitars I've burned through, they might be my fav tuners ever. Out of curiousity, what's jacked w/ yours?

Great looking guitar, by the way. It's hard to find a mid-70s LPC with a beefy neck.
poop.

dogfood

Well, let's just say it ain't no skinny minny.  My last guitar had something like a slim 60s neck and while it was nice and playable this neck is bigger is thicker and wider (insert general discussion joke here).  I actually like the idea of a larger 3 pc maple neck.  It seems like it'd be more stable over the long haul.  Perhaps even less like to have the head snap off.
Sunn, even if I swapped out the Gibson back Shallers I wouldn't part with'm.  If for some unforeseeable reason I must sell the guitar I'd want to include them with the sale.  You know how Gibson people are.  The Schallers don't seem to stay in tune compared to the Gotohs on my last guitar.  I'll change out the bridge components with the Faber stuff, replace the strings, and see if I can live with'm or find some thing replacements that use the same holes.  Not confident that this is possible but worth looking into.
Problem solving whiskey!

moose23

Picked up a 79 Aria Pro II yesterday fro next to nothing. Not even sure I know what it looks like yet..

RacerX

Goddam. Just spent almost 2 hours restringing my new 12-string dreadnaught and cleaning the gunk off the fretboard. My hands are all jacked now.

Couldn't even use a pegwinder because the tuning pegs are so close together. Now I've stretched the strings out & retuned a few times, so I'll let her sit and wait awhile until my fingers aren't throbbing.
Livin' The Life.

dogfood

Now that I think of it I bet restringing a 12 is a pain in the culo.   :-\
Problem solving whiskey!