Main Menu

WTF is this shit?

Started by RAGER, May 08, 2011, 11:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VOLVO)))

Rager, post-more.

Jake has a couple Fibsons. He'll chime in.

I'd buy one. O.O
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Quote from: SunnO))) on May 08, 2011, 01:06:42 PM
Rager, post-more.

Jake has a couple Fibsons. He'll chime in.

I'd buy one. O.O
Yeah man I know I've been M.I.A.  My girl of 22 years left me in Dec.  Moped around for a bit.  Now I'm balls deep in new pussy and feeling more sociable.  Been neglecting my friends in real life and on the webs.

Seems everybody is mainly here rather than the other one.

Anyways. back on topic.  Are these too good to be true.  I'm so used to my 12 pound '78 Standard anything else just feels cheap.  Are they made of firewood?
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

There's a fair chance they ARE made of firewood, but I've worked on several. They didn't fool ME, but they were certainly passable... especially based on Gibson's recent performance and quality control. I personally like the fakes. I did a couple of hardware/electronics upgrades/full guttings... the instrument itself is solid. Tuners are balls (even though they say grover,) the bridge is balls, the pickups/electronics are balls. It's still a damn good price for a convincing fake, though.

They can be hit or miss though, in terms of quality. If you are good at fiddling, or have a buddy who's good at fiddling... it's kind of like gambling. If you get one from a seller who's sold a BUNCH of them, they're typically pretty good.

I really like the guys who do under-a-grand custom double neck guitars and shit, made to spec. Those guys are rad...

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

RAGER

Yeah it goes without saying that the hdwr and electronics are shit.  i would already figure that into the total cost of the guitar to get it playable.  But if the instrument itself is good then hey.....

But I kind of have a rule about buying guitars without playing them first.  I've played $6000 custom shop gibbies that were turds and $300 Epi's that were great...........
No Focus Pocus

VOLVO)))

I feel ya on that one. I can't say they'll all be great, there will always be lemons.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Metal and Beer

Well, they cost relatively little to manufacture, using the absolute cheapest raw materials available in China with no regard for environmental consequence, etc. The two I held looked fantastic from a few feet away but were incredibly shitty up close.

mi .02 centavos
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Hemisaurus

cause in America, we're all about the environment, and would never cut corners to make a few bucks ::)

justinhedrick

Quote from: Hemisaurus on May 09, 2011, 01:41:59 PM
cause in America, we're all about the environment, and would never cut corners to make a few bucks ::)

of course not! every kid likes to play with Little People covered in lead paint . . . JEEZ!

RAGER

were they really light and flimsy feeling?
No Focus Pocus

Hemisaurus

Quote from: justinhedrick on May 09, 2011, 01:46:53 PM

of course not! every kid likes to play with Little People covered in lead paint . . . JEEZ!
It's too late, all the little kids are brain damaged anyway.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: RAGER on May 09, 2011, 01:48:19 PM
were they really light and flimsy feeling?

The ones I fondled felt solid as brick shithouses. I've played a few REALLY bad ones that felt like you could have bought it at Sam Goody or something. Tell tale signs, shitty inlay work, frets OVER binding... Whack, unshielded electronics cavities. None of this hurts my feelings though because I'm a repair-guy, and if I want something that says Gibson on the headstock, but don't want a 3.5k price tag for something that was made in the same place by the same immigrant workers, I can handle a few hours of filing and work.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

LogicalFrank

Why on earth would you want the headstock to say Gibson on it?
"I have today made a discovery which will ensure the supremacy of German music for the next hundred years."

Metal and Beer

By all means buy 'em up then !   ::)
"Would it kill you fellas to play some Foghat?"

Jake

I like my Gibsun silverburst. Very nice looking and not a terrible sounding guitar. I even traded some stuff I wasn't using to a guy who relics guitars who is going to "green" and cheque the finish so it looks like an old one as opposed to a new custom shop one.

A fake Gibson AND a relic job. I should keep stuff like that to myself as those things tend to anger a lot of folks on the innerwebs.
poop.

ryansummit

i was gonna make a joke about the CRAZY MAN model
but i cant stop thinkin bout new pussy after 22 years
good for you, go nuts homey
been really tryin to stay focused and on topic, but strange poon,uhrrrghhhnngggahfucker

specifically with tradetang is there somethin to look for to at least get a playable copy
or at 3hundo is an epi from gc safer
i could give a fuck if my shit says gibson, gibsum,gypson,ripoff,etc
or are they geared toward someone tryin to scam other folks

Hemisaurus

Try the Xaviere from guitarfetish. It has GFS pickups in it already ;) The SG one was really nice.

everdrone

in america I believe they are like fake handbags that dudes used to hawk on the streets of new york:

its illegal to own it, even if it is in your bedroom and never comes out;  illegal for shops to work on em too

shame people buy that shiz just for the headstock name ;)

grimniggzy

Quote from: Jake on May 10, 2011, 02:40:56 PM
A fake Gibson AND a relic job. I should keep stuff like that to myself as those things tend to anger a lot of folks on the innerwebs.

I say fuck it. Do it up.
Smoke em if ya got em.

morgantician

I've owned them and played them. As long as you're not expecting a player right out of the box and aren't afraid of a few hours labor, it's not a bad deal. I have one (that I'm selling in the stickied For Sale thread) that's heavy as shit, feels and plays like the real deal after the upgrades that were mentioned above. I never regretted buying it.

Baxandall

Doesn't anyone wonder if in fact Gibson is running this to sell a bunch of cheap off shore investments and at the same time quasi protect their US trademark?  Seems to me that the timing of their QA going south and the appearance of these knock offs is too similar.

bbottom

Personally I would rather save up and buy the real thing. But that's just me.

Hemisaurus

Maybe it's deeper, Fender is flooding the market with cheap Gibson's to bolster their market share ;D

clockwork green

In a country where panhandlers can make a hundred bucks in a few hours on a corner, things can't be so bad that damn near anyone can't find a way to go out and make $500 bucks in a month or two to get a decent guitar.  Unless you're terminally infirmed, incarcerated it's possible.  Hell, do a few medical research studies on the weekend, do a few hours of telemarketing a few times a week...buying a balsa wood ESP just isn't worth it. 
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"