Main Menu

EL84 amps.

Started by Chalupacabra, April 01, 2015, 10:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chalupacabra

How's everyone's opinion on EL84's?

I know Jet City and their Hovercraft cousins use them, but can an amp like that hit Stoner/Doom territory on stage as a half or full stack and be heavy enough? I know they're loud as hell (never tried a Dwarvenaut though) but can the bass hold up at high volumes? I have a good amount of fuzz and distortion/od pedals to get my grit out of.

johnny problem

Take what I'm about to say however you want.

I'm currently using a Laney VC30 (combo amp 1x12) that runs on 4 EL84s and 12ax7s.  It has the stock speaker, I don't have the bass up all that high.  It's loud enough for my uses, it does the Stoner sound really nice, I find.  It's very bright sounding, and I don't get buried in the mix.

TannisRoot

I've been running a 2xEL84 amp into a 412 for three years and I love it. It's do-able. PM me for a clip if you're interested.

Mr. Foxen

Ashdown Little Bastard should be the low power pedal doomer's amp of choice.

showdown

I'vr been using a Laney L20H in the studio and for small gigs. It's 4xEL84 but single ended class A so the bass gets flabby at higher volumes. But it sounds great if it's mic'ed.

Chalupacabra

Used a 20w at a show Friday in an outside venue and was really surprised. Had more of a "hollow" sound than I'm use to, but the other guitarist ran a 100w head and it kept up AMAZINGLY well, so much so I had it at 5 as his was at 4 volume wise. Thought I was going to be drowned out.

TannisRoot

Might be something wrong with that 100W :P

Muffin Man

Sound at 3:10
I've owned AC30's and DC30's. Huge power open back combo's. Super cool overtones. I want this in the vertical 2x10. Weird sound for an EL84 but Mike has THE ears for American rock.

Pissy

Valve junior that sounds really awesome with an old Mullard 12ax7 in it. I also have a crate VC50 that uses 4 el84s in the power section. I've never turned it up to get into the dirt on those, but I'm confident it'd be pretty good sounding. And certainly loud.

But in the end I like a lot of hefty dick to the sound, and low wattage simply has never gotten all the way there.
Vinyls.   deal.