Hum only occurs in live setting

Started by bbottom, March 19, 2015, 06:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbottom

I think that I know the answer to this, but I figured I'd run it by everyone anyway.

So in certain live settings my rig hums. But at practice and a few other places it doesn't.

I run a fuzz pedal and I have my gain cranked to about 3-4 o'clock. I also play with the SB2 which has super hot pups.

I know for a fact that it's not my cables. I'm guessing that it's the fuzz pedal. But if that is the case...then why does it not hum at every venue and practice?

justJon

Things that spring to mind...Fluorescent lighting/other electrical devices bleeding into your loop; polarity/grounding/lack thereof in certain venues...But what do I know? I'm a drummer!
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

agent of change

Quote from: justJon on March 19, 2015, 06:48:21 PM
polarity/grounding/lack thereof in certain venues

I'm a drummer too... but this frequently happens to the bassist, who has two amps and two cabs, and has to figure out each time which outlets to use.
We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

spookstrickland

Are you using a battery or power supply?  if you're using a power supply try it with a battery.  If the hum goes away then you need better filtering in your pedal.  I just did this to my big muff, now it's dead quite.  If not you might want to try some Ferrite Beads on the input wire to block incoming RF or other types of junk.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

neighbor664

Do you run your pedals AC or DC? If AC, are your pedals and amp plugged in to the same circuit in the room? Live sometimes each on different circuits?

neighbor664

spookstrickland

www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Submarine

What everyone else said plus another tip: get a couple of ground lifts ( see picture ). But make sure to be careful when touching a mic - you may get zapped.

In a perfect world lights would be on different electrical service than audio and Backline.  Many clubs especially smaller clubs don't do this so you often get interference from dimmers and fluorescents.

Mr. Foxen

Sort out the shielding in the guitar, its for hummy places, not everywhere, cautionary.

spookstrickland

Quote from: Mr. Foxen on March 22, 2015, 12:46:37 PM
Sort out the shielding in the guitar, its for hummy places, not everywhere, cautionary.

Good idea, bring another guitar or barrow one at the gig that hums and plug it into your rig, does it still hum?  was it humming through the other guys gear? good way to track things down and rule stuff out.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org