Main Menu

My 1975 Jazz Bass project

Started by Pissy, March 08, 2015, 02:43:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hagard

The natural finish looks good, better than the old law suit era Hondo II P bass copy I have.

Pissy

I'm kinda digging the natural look as well.  it looks good mocked up with the pickups and hardware on it.
Vinyls.   deal.

CID Vicious

Quote from: Pissy on March 15, 2015, 10:29:04 AM
I'm kinda digging the natural look as well.  it looks good mocked up with the pickups and hardware on it.

Quote from Car Craft magazine: "Nothing is cheaper than what you already have."

If you dig the natural you can just steel wool it and try it out for awhile...unlike a neck it doesn't really need a sealer.
Welcome to America
NO FREEDOM ALLOWED!
You're not an individual
You're just a face in the crowd!

Welcome to America,
Say goodbye to your rights!
(Yeah, right!)
They crept up behind them
And slit their throat left to right!

- Mettaya, "Welcome To America"

VOLVO)))

Yeah.. I wouldn't do that. I also wouldn't stain it. Ugliest shit ever. Unless it has good looking grain, I'd paint it. It's a nice bass. I think it should be restored properly.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Hagard

I think the patina looks good on the photo's.

Funny thing is I thought that Fender had put the three bolt necks on the P & J bass as well as the regular guitars, must be mistaken. 

moose23

Quote from: Hagard on March 16, 2015, 09:54:36 PM
I think the patina looks good on the photo's.

Funny thing is I thought that Fender had put the three bolt necks on the P & J bass as well as the regular guitars, must be mistaken. 

They did a year or two later. My 77 is 3 bolt.

Pissy

Visiting my parents, up in Iron MTn MI and my dad cut me some 1/4" plugs.  Some out of maple, some birch. We'll see what fits best color/grain wise.

He didn't have any alder scrap.  His wood shop is better than anyone's I've ever seen. One day i suppose I'll have to deal with it being way the fuck up north, when the time comes.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

The more I look at this body, the more it looks all but impossible to get down to an acceptable level of cleanliness in order to properly showcase a transparent finish.  The old paint seeped into the endgrain is some very difficult places to pull it out without sanding down a good bit.  Something I'd rather not do.

The alternative would be to seal it up/fill in the dents and put an opaque color on it.  I may do this.  Still with a brown, but not transparent 'walnut' as fender originally did it.
Vinyls.   deal.

Pissy

The frets cleaned up very well btw, Jake.

Vinyls.   deal.

VOLVO)))

Awesome. Did it yourself? Great for a first time.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Pissy

I did.  I'd done touch up stuff before.  Bought that Fret kit from Stew Mac a few years ago.  I used the broad side of that file that comes with the kit, to get the most out of the frets.  Then 220, then 600, then steel wool, then lemon oil.
Vinyls.   deal.

VOLVO)))

If you have a dremel and polishing wheels, green compound and a few minutes, do that. Makes a world of difference. I sand to 1500, then do the dremel stuff with light passes. Then buff with microfiber. You can read in the clarity

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lip

man... that is so awesome Pissy. That looks like a great bass!! I cant wait to see the finished macheen.
Last night I heard the ghetto bird circle.... as I was eatin' fish.... and watchin' Erkel...

Pissy

Thanks lip!  I haven't touched in a week or so. Might get a toothbrush and acetone tonight and try to work on the paint stove up in the bruises.
Vinyls.   deal.

Lip

Keep us posted holmes. Looking forward to more pics
Last night I heard the ghetto bird circle.... as I was eatin' fish.... and watchin' Erkel...