where's the cool new stoner/doom gear?!?!

Started by Beta Cloud, February 24, 2015, 01:04:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beta Cloud

so yeah, i remember years ago the cool gear was oranges, matamps, sunn's, sg's, pauls, muffs etc.
those were exciting times for gear for me, learning about all that cool shit.

then it went to verellens, emperors, hovercrafts, dan armstrongs, aluminum neck peaveys, too many fuzz pedals in existence now... ack.

what's the cool shit now?

also, the boards; here, the obelisk, i lovefuzz/doom; what are some other cool sites for stoner/doom gear?

i miss being excited about gear. on the verge of selling my shit and need some excitement.

show me something good guys-

why does it hurt when i pee?

mortlock

selling your shit?? are you serious?!!? you got the gear most of us would kill for.. gibsons and orange..

Beta Cloud

sell it... nah. we all go through it bro; just bored.
needs me some citements!

mortlock

I just picked up a swollen pickle..im more stoked on my bass sound now more than ever..i was running a wooly mammoth and an old usa made dod death metal pedal [which I still love]. neither one was exactly what I was looking for anymore.. the SP has that sizzle.. I can really squeeze out some notes..its responsive to your attack on the strings as you play..

#highasfuck

Beta Cloud

Quote from: mortlock on February 24, 2015, 02:10:26 AM
I just picked up a swollen pickle..im more stoked on my bass sound now more than ever..i was running a wooly mammoth and an old usa made dod death metal pedal [which I still love]. neither one was exactly what I was looking for anymore.. the SP has that sizzle.. I can really squeeze out some notes..its responsive to your attack on the strings as you play..

#highasfuck

had a pickle a few years ago... sold it.
just couldn't connect with it. too many options, too many knobs.
would start with a sound and get lost in it and loose the original sound.
sounds amazing on bass though bro.
I IS STOOPIDS.

the wooly mammoth is a great pedal man. the dod DM was a great pedal in the glory days.
kudos my man!

really thinking of selling/trading my moog sub phatty and getting an orange OR50 head.

Instant Dan

The DOD/Black Arts collaboration looks awesome.

black

As a longtime (older) Mesa/Boogie fan, I have always wanted to add one of those 400+ Bass Amps to my guitar set up.
Maybe a switch-up like that would re-ignite your interest.
I like when folks run bass amps for guitars in the StonerRock.

also;

What Instant Dan said.
At Least I Don't Have The Clap.

RAGER

My old bass player had a 400+ and matching road case 2x15.  Even with me running 2 4x12's with 2 100 watters that sumbitch would cut through no probs.  He is also a shit hot bass player and it was a joy to hear that shit.
No Focus Pocus

Beta Cloud

i'm even burned out on volume.

fuck did i just say?

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Beta Cloud

synths are just collecting dust now.
maybe i need a trombone.

a rusty one.

nyarlathotep

Well, there's now Dictator cabs, which are pretty much just Emperor cabs with a slightly different frontplate. When Sleep played Chicago they had a bunch of them up on stage. My brother has a 2x12 and it sounds pretty good.

They appear to be making amps too:

RAGER

That shit's too nice to be loading in and out of a van.
No Focus Pocus

nyarlathotep

That's where http://www.amplifiercovers.com/ comes in... not kidding, my brother ordered a custom amp cover for his. Basically an amp condom.

Mr. Foxen

Instant Dan

And I see a lot of those in the shop being repaired.

giantchris

For bass at least I'd say the Fearful/XMAX crazy low tuned cabs are the new gear thing.  Not sure if many people doing Stoner/doom are using them but I think the Bongripper bassist is using a Fearful Dually now. 

liquidsmoke

New and cool to me: cheap baritone, EH Pitchfork, class D power amp, budget cabs loaded with good speakers, no bass player, no vocals

Beta Cloud

Beta Cloud

Quote from: liquidsmoke on February 25, 2015, 02:05:30 AM
New and cool to me: cheap baritone, EH Pitchfork, class D power amp, budget cabs loaded with good speakers, no bass player, no vocals

no bass or vox, like where this is going...

liquidsmoke

Quote from: Beta Cloud on February 25, 2015, 02:43:13 AM
Quote from: liquidsmoke on February 25, 2015, 02:05:30 AM

no bass or vox, like where this is going...

I do have a bass rig though.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/orogen/emerald-douglas-visitants-from-further-bourns-proto-demo[/soundcloud]

We are remixing this song to make the drums sound better and the guitar heavier.

Beta Cloud

i'd totally rock w/you guys, but madison's a haulie haul!

liquidsmoke

From NY yeah that's a trip. It's not always easy getting Milwaukee bands just 70 miles away to come out.

JemDooM

Swollen Pickle, what an awesome name!

If I was in the US and had money i'd be all over Hex cabs built by the Eagle Twin guys!
DooM!