Main Menu

Tips/Tricks/Hacks/Etc.

Started by Jake, January 24, 2014, 06:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny G

I routinely lug around my body weight in bass gear. Very mindful of my back and how I lift/move it. Not a spring chicken anymore...

An old Marshall trick I stumbled across by accident is try a 12at7 for V3.

Lowers the gain a bit but sweetens up the amp's overall response

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

Jake

This might not be applicable to a lot of folks, but here's a ghetto-yet-functional hack I did to a string saddle on a Tele Deluxe.

I could not get the low E to intonate properly for the life of me. It just needed to be pushed back further than it physically could. After a frustrating and fruitless online search for a shorter saddle or any other way to get it scooted further back, I just put the damn thing into a vice and squished it. I used a hammer and chisel to guide the bends, but it was all a very indelicate process. It ended up working great and it intonates nicely now. Results below.

poop.

Lumpy

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

Corey Y

Quote from: Jake on January 28, 2014, 04:09:50 PM
This might not be applicable to a lot of folks, but here's a ghetto-yet-functional hack I did to a string saddle on a Tele Deluxe.

I could not get the low E to intonate properly for the life of me. It just needed to be pushed back further than it physically could. After a frustrating and fruitless online search for a shorter saddle or any other way to get it scooted further back, I just put the damn thing into a vice and squished it. I used a hammer and chisel to guide the bends, but it was all a very indelicate process. It ended up working great and it intonates nicely now. Results below.

Whaaa...gruhhh....ohhh...

RacerX

That's known as the "accordion saddle" mod.
Livin' The Life.

mutantcolors

--------
--------
--------
---2----
---2----
---0----

Is the same as

------
------
---4--
---2--
---2--
------

and

------
------
---7--
---7--
---5--
---5--

is the same as

------
------
---7--
---7--
---5--
------

Only way more brutal.

Welcome to the fret board.

edit - also, learn major and minor thirds and use 'em within yer scale. Instant "I know what I am doing."

Lumpy

Quote from: mutantcolors on January 31, 2014, 01:01:45 PM
edit - also, learn major and minor thirds and use 'em within yer scale. Instant "I know what I am doing."

Major scale with a minor third sounds "dark but transcendent"

VOLVO)))

It makes you sound like every nu-black metal band?

Sign me up.
"I like a dolphin who gets down on a first date."  - Don G

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Lumpy

Major with minor 3rd is kinda Eastern sounding. But Trad. Black Metal prolly stays all minor, no?

mutantcolors

Labeling your band as some offshoot of black metal because you have one dissonant trem picking riff, that must be some kind of hack since everyone is doing it now.

agent of change

We didn't come here for economic politics or religious bickering, we came to rock.

VOLVO)))

Quote from: mutantcolors on February 01, 2014, 02:43:07 AM
Labeling your band as some offshoot of black metal because you have one dissonant trem picking riff, that must be some kind of hack since everyone is doing it now.

Yup.

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

liquidsmoke

Quote from: mutantcolors on January 31, 2014, 01:01:45 PM
--------
--------
--------
---2----
---2----
---0----

Is the same as

------
------
---4--
---2--
---2--
------

and

------
------
---7--
---7--
---5--
---5--

is the same as

------
------
---7--
---7--
---5--
------

Only way more brutal.

Yup. I like to throw

------
------
------
------
---5--
---5--

in riffs with normal power chords. It's like I've got one more low string. Makes the bass accompaniment a bit more complex though.

mutantcolors

You hear that one in High on Fire quite a bit.

That chord at 3:34 and 3:38 are the clearest examples that come to mind.

jibberish

find various  plastic bags, like the ones that new electronics come in as dust covers for keyboards and any control surfaces/mixers etc.
I like clear bags so I can sort of see the stuff, but a garbage bag stops the dust too.

when you use the gear, fold bag up and shove it underneath. when finished with project cover gear again.

may sound dumb, but when you grow an ocean of doo-dads with user-surfaces, they get gnarly seemingly in no time if always left uncovered. mixers with upward facing jacks really fill up with shit. i'm actually contemplating making dummy plugs just to fill unused holes on the mixer that I use like every day and it never gets covered. pretty lame having to try and vacuum out a mixer

alternately, the stuff could be stored on its side, but I would rather leave it all set up and just pull the covers-n-go.

RAGER

I use old bath towels for this and an old contour sheet works great for drums.  It just hugs around the cymbals.
No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Bagging seldom-used electronics seems like a good idea. I've got remotes, keyboards etc with a film of sticky crud, and it's a pain in the ass to remove.

Jake

Quote from: jibberish on February 12, 2014, 02:27:28 PM
mixers with upward facing jacks really fill up with shit. i'm actually contemplating making dummy plugs just to fill unused holes on the mixer that I use like every day and it never gets covered. pretty lame having to try and vacuum out a mixer

Very true. I've found that popping those cheap earplugs into unused 1/4" jack holes is a nice (and non-conductive) way to plug them up.
poop.

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

James1214

I give you the greatest mod ever accomplished with electrical tape alone.

words

VOLVO)))

CHUB CUB 4 LYFE.

Jake

Although not nearly as clever, this is my hat hack...bro.

poop.

mutantcolors

Bass is guitar and drums at the same time.

Whoa man.

MichaelZodiac

^^ lolzz

When I first started playing bass, the advice I got was: "Do what the guitarist does but in the rhythm of the drummer."
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan