Gonga - Concrescence

Started by renfield, January 13, 2014, 04:31:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renfield

This came out back in October.  Again Gonga have significantly changed their sound between records due to yet more personnel upheaval.  Now they are an instrumental trio.  Gone are the darkened QOTSA tones of Transmigration in favor of a sludgier, riff-based flavor.

The first song "Miasma" is one of my favorite things I heard in 2013.   Slow but possessing confident groove and momentum.  A little of that "Iron Man" chromatic oscillation.  Warmly overdriven, stridently melodic, etc:

The rest of the album sounds a bit indistinct to me compared to this first song.  In general I'd rather a band omit vocals than include sub par singing, but it would have been cool for them to at least get somebody to do a few guest spots.... something like that Jefferson Airplane cover on the Re-Stoned album.  Would have given the album a more definitive personality in my opinion.  Still, it's a nice record with good tone and a stellar opening track.

deleted account

so I'm on the first tee with him, I give him the driver, and he hauls off and whacks one:  big hitter, the Lama.  long.  into a ten-thousand foot crevasse right at the base of this glacier.  do you know what the Lama says?  "gonga galonga.  gonga- gongala gongala"

MadJohnShaft

I remember Gonga, I will have to look them up
Some days chickens, some days feathers