True detective

Started by RAGER, January 12, 2014, 11:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelZodiac

"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

The Bandit

sleestak

So far my favorite episode of TV this year.
Killing threads is my business and business is good.

CanookieWookie

Best show I have ever streamed. 

jmucke

Great episode. Its really down now to the solution of the story. Is it Cohle or some yellow king, probably that evangelist that gets mentioned, or somebody else entirely? If this series gets bogged down by an unsatisfying ending it would be shame.

MichaelZodiac

Didn't Cohle already kill the preacher in 2010 right after he came back from wherever he was? Maybe the Yellow King is a dude we haven't seen yet and the preacher was a high-ranked person that knew about it. The scene when Cohle goes back to that religious school owned by the preacher and finds the paintings & soul trappers was eerie though.
"To fully experience music is to experience the true inner self of a human being" -Pøde Jamick

Nolan

The Bandit

Killed the preacher? Nucky's brother?

MichaelZodiac

Reverend Tuttle, the preacher that wanted to start that anti-satanic taskforce. Nephew of the governor I believe. Hence the high placed person that LeDoux was talking about to Lange's ex-husband/his cellmate. Not the preacher/Nucky's brother/Shea Whigham that was owner of the church.

Nolan

The Bandit

Huh, I must have missed that about Tuttle getting killed.

MadJohnShaft

The part with the daughter dressed like Madonna having sex with two boys in a car was kind of lame.  I guess all these shows need some family component to be annoying.
Some days chickens, some days feathers

deleted account

the only thing lame about that, GrampsJohnShaft, is that they didn't show the sex

GodShifter

Quote from: MadJohnShaft on February 20, 2014, 04:35:05 PM
The part with the daughter dressed like Madonna having sex with two boys in a car was kind of lame.  I guess all these shows need some family component to be annoying.

I'd say that the 'family component' probably will tie into the story in some context. Everything about this show seems to be tied to something else in terms of the plot. But, yeah, maybe it's pure melodrama, but I'd bet not.

RAGER

We're wondering if there isn't some underlying reason the daughter is pulling this kind of stuff.  Like being sexually abused.  Remember the explicit drawings she was doing as a young'n that got her in troube?
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Like by  EP 5 we think Rust might be the killer but in the end it will be Marty?

MichaelZodiac

Didn't Marty claim his greatest failure was inattention? We already saw a bit of what was going on with his eldest daughter but there has to be more to it. Also, we don't know yet why he quit being a cop. Could be related.

Nolan

JkFlesh

I'm so geeked out on this show that I read Nic Pizzolatto's debut novel "Galveston", started reading "King In Yellow", which the show references, and have begun re-watching the original five episodes.

This is a cool little article that elaborates on the King In Yellow/ Carcosa/ Ambrose Bierce references that run through the story: http://io9.com/the-one-literary-reference-you-must-know-to-appreciate-1523076497

MadJohnShaft

I read something about the posters for the show - I will look for it but it has an effect where the frame is cut and you see his hair sticking up - their theory was that Marty is the yellow king

I don't know if I want the show to go that direction

Instant Dan

That was my least favorite but also the best due to tits an ass shots.

GodShifter

Plausibility was a bit low in this one due to Rust's liaison with Marty's wife. That seemed very out of character with the way Rust had conducted himself in the past. Remember Maggie says "Rust was a man with integrity" or something to that effect. That whole scene with him and Maggie seemed off.

Also, I was thinking about this, in episode 3 where Hart & Cohle find Ledoux's hideout and wipe out the two baddies (with a whole different story than they tell their superiors) where does Cohle get his assault rifle he uses to make the scene look "right"? He doesn't have it with him when they're tracking the other guy back to the hideout. Yet, all of a sudden he has it when he's doctoring the scene? That seemed to be a bit of a misstep for a show that, for all intents and purposes, seems well thought out and logical in its trajectory.

MichaelZodiac

I too think Rust's liaison with Mary's wife was a bit off but on the other hand, he was seriously down and she was looking for someone to cheat with. She definitely has showed interest throughout the show be it in a friend way so I get that she comes to ask him about Marty.

I really like how this show has been able to keep the story going with the separate timeframes. As a viewer, we're now up to the present (sort of) and I'm really curious how they're gonna wrap it all up in 2 episodes.

Nolan

RAGER

I would figure the AR came from Ledoux's arsenal. Rust couldn't possibly shoot up the place with his own weapon. Ballistics would show that.
No Focus Pocus

MadJohnShaft

Yeah, he picked it up onsite  - if you watch episode five at about the 15 minute mark he comes back out of that place with that automatic weapon. 'We got to make this look right'.

The last 10 minutes of episode 4 is just the most amazing bit of filming ever. Yikes!

juggernaut

Quote from: MichaelZodiac on February 24, 2014, 11:37:51 AM
I too think Rust's liaison with Mary's wife was a bit off but on the other hand, he was seriously down and she was looking for someone to cheat with. She definitely has showed interest throughout the show be it in a friend way so I get that she comes to ask him about Marty.

I really like how this show has been able to keep the story going with the separate timeframes. As a viewer, we're now up to the present (sort of) and I'm really curious how they're gonna wrap it all up in 2 episodes.

The only thing that made it work for me was the fact that Rust was fucking hammered.   If he was sober no way it goes down like that.

MadJohnShaft

Yeah, I see her doing something that bad but Rust seemed out of character

RAGER

Did you watch the little talk they did after the show?  Remember she was in the bar and you though she prolly fucked that guy too but she didn't.  she was testing to see if she could.  But that wouldn't have hurt her husband as much as she wanted to.  She wanted to hurt him so bad that he would be disgusted by her and leaver her alone.  So she fucks Rust figuring that would do it.
No Focus Pocus