Drummer and drum associations

Started by lordfinesse, March 09, 2015, 11:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lordfinesse

So recently I worked a show with the band Hellyeah, featuring Mr clicky kick drum himself, Vinnie Paul. Going into the show, all I could think was "geez, the kick drum is going to be the loudest thing in the room tonight" (it wasn't). I associate Mr Paul with a kick drum only, no other drums. It got me to thinking... what other drummers do I associate with just one part of a drum kit? Turns out there are several. I'd never thought about it before.

In my mind, I tend to associate these drummers with these drum things:

Vinnie Paul - Kick
Alex Van Halen - Snare
Stewart "hey check out this cool hi hat part" Copeland - HiHat
Neil Peart - Toms
Nick Mason - Ride cymbal and Rototoms
Dave Grohl - Crash cymbals

Does anyone else have weird associations like these?
Billy Squier 24/7

Submarine

I always thought Bonham had a very distinctive hihat sound - but I associate him with the whole kit. ;D

Danny G

I always associate Bonham with the drum sound on When The Levee Breaks, one of the greatest drums sounds in the history of recorded drum sounds \m/,

That and snare. The snare intro to the riff for Moby Dick. Which was also awesome, as one of the heaviest riffs Zeppelin ever devised was... the intro to the drum solo :D
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

RAGER

No Focus Pocus

Lumpy

Tommy Ramone: crash cymbals. Marky Ramone: ride cymbal

Rock & Roll is background music for teenagers to fuck to.

EddieMullet

Mike Portnoy annoying click kick drum

lordfinesse

For me, Bonham = room mic. In a big room.

Edit: also for me, Portnoy = attitude. Not in a good way. The word "whatever" might have been created just to give me a convenient way to express how I feel about Mike Portnoy.
Billy Squier 24/7

mortlock

drummers with annoying piccolo snare drums..not sure who im referring to  but you know them when you hear them..