Famous/notable producers/audio engineers...

Started by JemDooM, August 26, 2013, 02:18:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JemDooM

and few facts about them (repeats are good too), I'll start....

Phil Spector was a producer/engineer/songwriter from the 60's onwards, had a reputation for being a bit of a psycho, reputedly always had a gun on him, rumoured to have pulled one on the Ramones in the studio after they got frustrated with him making them play one chord over and over for eight hours and wanted to leave, he was a millionaire by the age of 21, known as the originator of 'wall of sound' production with massive layering of multiple instruments, reverb and use of an 'echo chamber' sending recordings to a basement full of speakers and mics, he produced loads of pop and rock hits with the likes of the Crystals, The Ronettes, The Righteous Brothers, The Beatles & Ramones, he was jailed for life in 2009 for the murder of Lana Clarkson, oh and he had crazy hair....
DooM!

spookstrickland

Tom Dowd:  Producer for Cream was a mathematical genius who in his teenage years worked on the Manhattan Project before ever getting into music.
I'm beginning to think God was an Astronaut.
www.spookstrickland.com
www.tombstoner.org

Mr. Foxen

JemDooM

Hey that film looks good, I'll check it out!

Steve Albini, musician/engineer/journalist- has engineered the recording of around 1500-2000 albums, many of which you'd see mentioned around here a lot and many of which could be considered landmark/influential or just plain awesome, tonnes of indie/grunge, Pixies - Surfer Rosa, Nirvana - In Utero, the last few Neurosis albums, High on Fire - Blessed Black Wings, Om - Pilgrimage, and God is Good, and stuff with Burning Witch, Goatsnake, Weedeater, Stinking Lizaveta, known for refusing to take credit for production, royalties etc, hating the bad ethics of big record labels, refusing to use or even talk about digital recording, charging only for his time or whatever the band can afford, recording an organic, real sound, capturing aggression and standing back from the band and letting them be what they are...
DooM!

Mr. Foxen

One thing about that Joe Meek film, it starts off with an enthused west country guy in his house full of equipment with knobs on, musicians and a confused looking older woman being ranted at about them, and I was all 'heh, that's just like me', then the bumming starts.