Main Menu

Wah wah position

Started by Boguspierre80, December 22, 2013, 12:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boguspierre80

Hey, everybody:

I was experimenting last night and decided to hook my Cry Baby Classic up to the FX loop on my Orange OR15, and it blew me away! It sounds so good (louder and much more able to give me a Frampton-esque tonal quality). I've been putting it in the chain up front just after my fuzz pedal (Swollen Pickle - silicon chip). Now I also ran the fuzz after the wah, but still it ended up sounding very thin and tinny - very weak, for lack of a better word. I wonder if it's because the OR15 has a 12AT7 tube that is dedicated to the FX loop? I've not tried to put the wah into the FX loop on my Blackstar. I will eventually though. Anyway, anybody else with an Orange amp use wah on their FX loops and had a nice surprise in store for them? I'd like to know your experience.

B

AgentofOblivion

It might be FX loops in general.  I'm not an expert, but FX loops are usually line level and in front of the amp is high impedance.  Also, unless you're cranking the volume on the Orange, most of your distortion probably occurs before the wah and it's dynamics won't be squashed by overdrive.

Boguspierre80

I keep the volume very low as I'm renting an apartment. Thanks for chiming in.