Main Menu

ipad for creating music?

Started by Chovie D, December 28, 2012, 12:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chovie D

I was given an ipad and garageband.
Does anyone here use their ipad when creating or performing music? If so, how do you use yours?
what apps do you like? I see moog has a cool looking v-synth. others?

Chovie D

they have an Ondes martinot app!

Dave J

I have the Animoog app for my iPad and it is the best app I have hands down.  Lots of cool settings and you can create and save your own.  I found it easy to use and I am not a synth player, nor am I really technically proficient.  Although my bandmate and I have not yet incorporated the Animoog into our songs, we plan to do so and it will be easy for us to do.

"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

"Look at me! Look at me! Look at me now!
It is fun to have fun, but you have to know how."
--Cat In The Hat

Chovie D

thanks Dave. I knew there was a good moog app, couldnt recall which one it was. gonna get it fer sure.

i got that petit ondes app, it was only a couple bucks and I dig it alot.

xayk

I like the smart drums in Garage Band, as I'm an awful percussionist.

I mentioned elsewhere that a company released an app (Audiobus) that can take input from a mic or app, pass it to a processing app, and then end up in a recording/looping app. Not every app is compatible, but it's pretty interesting. (Animoog is compatible, fwiw.)

Dave J

By the way, Chovie, I googled Animoog and found some instructional videos and I think even a user's guide that were helpful in showing how all the modules work and how to set things up.

I have garage band on my laptop but have never used it. 
"I wish I could talk in technicolor." -- volunteer housewife during acid experiment circa 1956

--Cat In The Hat

Chovie D

I bought the animoog and will deifnetly need to watch those vids. The basic sounds are very cool, looks like alot of fun.

I didnt have any kind of sampler and always wasnted a cheap one, like the ones built into old casio toy keyboards, nothing fancy.
I was pleased to see garage band has a cheap and easy sampler.

Now I need an interface to a midi controlller. Dave what do you use? anythingto look for or avoid in an interface? I need one for guitar too, maybe theres one that can do both?

Chovie D

btw, today (12/31/2012)is the last day for half off on the animoog.

Dave J

Quote from: Chovie D on December 31, 2012, 10:26:31 AM

Now I need an interface to a midi controlller. Dave what do you use? anythingto look for or avoid in an interface? I need one for guitar too, maybe theres one that can do both?

I don't use a midi controller.  I just connect mine into my digital recorder or will connect with my friend's PA if we are to use it live (which we have not done yet).

--Cat In The Hat

clockwork green

I wish hooking up a midi keyboard was easier but you need the camera USB adapter and then plug the USB controller into that. For USB mic's you need a powered USB strip first because the iPad won't power the mic. For guitar, find one that plugs in to the 30-pin not the 1/8th" because those just don't sound as good. I like the iRiffport for guitar and there are several modeling apps that are good but none that are really great. The drum machine and synth apps are the most fun.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"

clockwork green

Yeah, the "camera" adapter is really just a USB plug. The line 6 looks like it does that as well and a bit more but does cost more as well.
"there's too many blanks in your analogies"