Main Menu

doing it for the money.

Started by the unibonger, December 22, 2012, 07:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the unibonger

i like to consider myself an ex working musician but  through connections repuitation friends whatever... shit comes across your radar and i got offered 650 bucks plus tips to do a 4 hour ( with a break) acoustic cover set in a a grocery store ( 70's size not modern) i did some dylan, some talylor etc.. but when a hot soccer mom or milf as they say came into the produce section where i could see full body  towns van zant delta momma blues... serious getting phone numbers in my tip jar..  serious power.  maybe it's just because he was local i dunno. i played it 4 times to the same effect.. mad ho's.  and just to possibly retain any amount of credibility whatsover i did play  ome jimmie rodgers.. the T for texas one not that other guy... . i also did 18 wheeler fever and  i can say it's not as much for the ladies.. oddly i was told to not play any christmas music.

anyone else have a story about ho'n yr. skillz?  i'd love to hear them.  btw 373.50 in tips.. as well as the afore mentioned phone numbers. sure most of them were fats chicks and one was a dude but hey i'm married and rarely use my cell phone.
mexican lucky.

bbottom

Quote from: the unibonger on December 22, 2012, 07:30:59 PM
i like to consider myself an ex working musician but  through connections repuitation friends whatever... shit comes across your radar and i got offered 650 bucks plus tips to do a 4 hour ( with a break) acoustic cover set in a a grocery store ( 70's size not modern) i did some dylan, some talylor etc.. but when a hot soccer mom or milf as they say came into the produce section where i could see full body  towns van zant delta momma blues... serious getting phone numbers in my tip jar..  serious power.  maybe it's just because he was local i dunno. i played it 4 times to the same effect.. mad ho's.  and just to possibly retain any amount of credibility whatsover i did play  ome jimmie rodgers.. the T for texas one not that other guy... . i also did 18 wheeler fever and  i can say it's not as much for the ladies.. oddly i was told to not play any christmas music.

anyone else have a story about ho'n?  i'd love to hear them.  btw 373.50 in tips..

I have no idea what you just said

the unibonger

yeah i was still in editing phase. i'm sure it's way more confusing now that i'm done.
mexican lucky.

the unibonger

oh yeah and if we are supposed to talk gear in this thread.. it was an old martin d-28 and some sunglasses.

word.
mexican lucky.

Danny G

Working musician here. If people are willing to pay you that much to play and you enjoy doing it, go for it.

Sent from a can on some string using Tapatalk
The less you have, the less there is to separate you from the music -- Henry Rollins

http://dannygrocks.com
http://dannygrocks.blogspot.com

the unibonger

thanks dan,

it was a crazy and fun gig , honestlt.if it were not so weird i would have never taken it. but i have to say in my heart i was so wanting to play this...

i didn't..

sold my soul... and if i had played it it would have been sans sonny boy terry so my soul was probably already lost... dang it.
mexican lucky.

justJon

Maaannn... That's crazy money for four hours of covers! Back in the day, I put myself through college, five-member band, 5-nights a week, 4-45 minute sets a night, and the whole band got pretty close to that for the whole week!

It was a valuable learning experience, basically being a live jukebox, lots of time onstage, learning to play it just like the record, but I wouldn't do it today for any money.

Today, if we get a couple of drinks and cover our gas, I feel like we did all right. 'Course it's not covers, so there's the satisfaction of clearing the hipsters from the bar before the first chorus! ;)
A wooly man without a face, or a beast without a name.

the unibonger

it was great. i got to pick the songs (within reason) all folk tho. and total bank. music is not my gig now for money anyways. i was just wanting to share ( and hear) some of the craziness of this end of the business from my prospective or yours.mine is behind shades. of course.
mexican lucky.

jibberish

heh, the impromptu psychology experiment is hilarious.  way to  "Pavlov style" them.
I would love to have been there in your stead.
sounds like it would have been fun for free(plus the tips+ #'s of course)

skydogdiesel

man, i think it's hillarious that when i was single and played guitar in bands i got picked up by a couple chicks, got laid-nothing special.  but now i'm engaged with a kid on the way and it seems like the chicks are coming on even stronger after gigs.  it's crazy!!  i dont have long hair anymore and have gained a few pounds-i dont get it.  fuck murphy and his stupid law!
grandma always said the money's in dick and fart jokes...

the unibonger

totally fun timez.. i'll be honest i was a little nogged out when i posted this all blog style but that cash made christmas and was very fun. the nog was free but i had to smuggle in the wild turkey.. bad, bad man i am. luckily for them i wasn't feeling bad or good enough (depending on the induvidual) to do my acoustic "indy-ish" version of dancing with myself with fully on buddy holly oh oh oh ohs and violent femmes influenced emotional sweat sweat sweats. but it was shit tons of fun and the most ridiculous in a positive way gig ever. reminded me of why i first learned to play guitar. to entertain, funny as it sounds, it's true. high holidays to all youse guys and gals!!!
mexican lucky.