Main Menu

Fuzz Face users?

Started by Baltar, December 12, 2012, 03:36:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baltar

I'm hopefully selling my Muff tonite and will probably go pick up the MXR 108 Fuzz Face.  It'll be my 3rd.  I broke the first two.  Anyone else use one or one of the many clones?
I've had the OX Fuzz Germ, and it was wicked.  I do like the Roger Mayer Classic and Axis, but those fuckers are like $300 now.
Friends don't let friends play solid state amplifiers.

dunwichamps

ive built a ton of them, u could easily build your own, even a complete Ge PNP one

Baltar

Ahh, kinda done building.  Plus I don't have access to a good part supplier up here.  I don't do the credit card thing either.

dunwichamps

anyone could build you 1 as well. EQD makes a Ge FF clone thats not as much money

The Bandit

I'm sure I've had a clone pass through here at some point.  Hell, I may have one now.

Baltar

It's gotta be Si 108's or 109's.  I have a MKII clone already. And I want a buffer in it.

dunwichamps

buffer? where. They never have buffers

jibberish

2 Ge transistors was it if I recall from the schematic. no time delay stuff=no buffer

edit: I wonder, if by buffer, they mean like an op amp in there to boost the signal for more distortion?

Baltar

The MXR has a buffer and believe me, it helps.  I've owned two of 'em, and I love the damn things.  Here's one I modded. Jeorge Tripps designed it.  Here's a pic of the one I modded.  The have 3 hidden trip pots inside. This time I won't drop it on the FS. 

Here's gearmandude's demo.  The buffer helps with the wah problem and adds some hi-end.

aowron

Even though you mentioned that you didn't have access to any good part suppliers, this might still be interesting to you: http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.se/2012/10/mxr-m-173-classic-108-fuzz.html

It does though look like they have removed the buffer circuit.

FullCustom

I'll just leave this here. That is a real Dallas Arbiter with Mullard transistors.

Baltar

^^^ Thanks for the link, I saved the jpeg of the layout.  I'll save it for a rainy day.  I've never built a circuit before, just modding.  I'd have to have someone sit down with me and explain how to read a schem and do it right.

jibberish

that layout isn't a normal schematic, but it actually is more helpful with the connections marked since you can sort of see how the components look, which you have no clue looking at a regular schematic.

and you can see, it is just the 2 transistors and the usual voltage setting resistors and dc filter caps etc.
this would be a good thing to build as a 1st try. you cant get killed lol.   ....and it is a very simple circuit.

Dylan Thomas

I have one of the old Dunlop ones that looks like the Dallas Arbiter, except it is red.  I think all the knobs broke off it, I rarely use it anymore...
The fact that I kept setting my own boats on fire was considered charming.

Stonergrunge

I have three:

MJM London Fuzz (germanium)
MJM London Fuzz II (silicon)
Sunmachine Reptile Fuzz (darker tone and less gain than the other two).
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love

h.p. lovecraft

The only fuzz I run right now is the Eric Johnson Fuzz Face.

Those BC183s in it have just the right of rasp and bass to hold the line between Fuzz Face and ToneBender.

I'm pretty sure my Fuzz search is done.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die." -- Me

moose23

I have a One Knob Fuzz (BC108/109) with three way input cap switch but been thinking about some BC183 action the last while.

bbottom

I love my OX bass fuzz. In fact I'm thinking about selling my much beloved Fender Sublime because it never gets used anymore